Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new ipaq h2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new ipaq h2210

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkilburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: new ipaq h2210 Reply with quote

i have just bought a new ipaq h2210. I want to be able to use it both in the car and for walking in the countryside with GPS. I don't think I can use a "sleeve" because it is slimmer than the standard ipaq so I presume i need to attach a receiver. I also believe i need 2 sets of software, one with roadmaps and the other with ordnance survey maps. What is best for me to look at as i can't find any "packages" that fulfill both criteria. I have seen that fugawi provide ordnance survey maps but not the road maps for use in a car. Any help would be appreciated
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: new ipaq h2210 Reply with quote

Road maps try Tomtom and make full use of 2210 by getting Bluetooth receiver.

Memory map also do OS data, elsewhere within these forums you should be able to pick up folks experiences of those and other offerings.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

You really want to look at the Compact Flash GPS Receivers. Use the SD slot for map storage and the CF slot for the GPS. That way you'll get the best of both worlds. Or, you could go Bluetooth and have a wireless GPS Receiver. It will cost more to go down this route, but will give you longer battery life on the Pocket PC as the Bluetooth Receiver has it's own power source rather than drawing power from the Pocket PC battery like the CF GPS Receivers do.
bkilburn
Occasional Visitor

dave. thanks for that. having looked at whats available is there any difference between the navman 4400 which seems to claim 30 hours battery life and comes with smartST street navigation and the tom tom navigator 2 bluetooth which only claims 5 hours? the price difference is pretty close. From the point of view of walking in the countryside is blue tooth a help or a hindrance as it means a separate piece of kit to carry as well as the pda? either way i think i would also need memory map or fugawi software for the ordnance survey maps
Dave
Frequent Visitor

From a GPS Receiver point of view, the Navman won't do 15 hours, certainly not on Duracell's which I usually consider to be pretty good alkaline batteries. I managed around 15 hours with these.

There are various other differences like TomTom's come with a docking station, Navman's does not, TomTom's is much smaller, Navman comes with complete European maps where as TomTom's are country specific.

The good thing about Bluetooth is that you can hide it in a shirt or coat pocket, or even velcro it to your hat if you want, and it'll still get a signal. That way it reduces the battery draw on your PDA and gives you longer screen life.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

One difference between the NavMan and the TomTom is that the TomTom has a rechargeable battery built in to the GPS. Therefore you dont have to keep on worrying about making sure you have fresh batteries when you go out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: