Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Arrived at Destination.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Arrived at Destination.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Arrived at Destination. Reply with quote

Hi all.
I am running the 520 and was wondering if anyone else has this problem and knows how to get round it.
When approaching a destination, I get fair warning that I am approaching the destination in say 0.3 miles which is fair enough, but it announces I am at my destination some 50 metres before I get there and then the route cancels as if it has completed the journey.
In particular the last leg of my homeward journey, I have to chuck a left and my house is probably about 40 metres up the road. It tells me to 'turn left then destination' but the route cancels before I've even made the left turn so I'm not even in the right road before it cancels.

My other half runs Destinator on an ipaq and it announces 'you have arrived at destination' certainly within 5 metres of my drive.
(Personally I couldn't be bothered with all them leads) :D

Seems a bit odd to me.
Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I agree with you 100%.
My house has moved. I now live at number 71 as my correct No. is 95.
With V3 and with my PDA software my home address is correct (No. 95). With V3.5, I now live at number 71.
Personally it makes no odds to me , if the thing gets me within 10m of my objective I am 100% happy with what I have.
Still as far as I am concerned it’s a backwards step for Navman, to launch its current software, as being the Bee’s Knee’s, but tell's you that you are home when you are 12 doors away.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too. You can see my device and software below. I have never been able to navigate to my home - when I have actually arrived, it tells me 'Destination in 600 metres'. Still I know where it is, so no problem. However, when I travel to some other destination, I am told I have arrived then I have to look for the actual real destination. Rolling Eyes

The other discrepancy is that about half a mile from my home the mapping on the screen is accurate but the voice direction tells me to take a turn in the road which does not exist then an exit from a roundabout which does not exist - (The exit, not the roundabout!).
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
Must be a software issue.
Just to let you know, I had an issue with active POI's in an earlier thread and Navman now admit there is a problem and that they are issuing a service pack in February to correct the POI problem.
Let's hope the service pack 'fixes' this problem as well.
I'll send them an e-mail anyway, (they have to know) but they take forever to respond (average 5 days which is pretty poor) Sad
I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.

Chris.
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Arrived at Destination. Reply with quote

CeeJay wrote:
Hi all.
I am running the 520 and was wondering if anyone else has this problem and knows how to get round it.
Chris.

Hi Chris,

I've been using iCN's for 3 years now and sadly the problem you describe is the way they work. For example my iCN550 is not even close in either direction, how can it see the roads either side of my house and then tell me I’ve arrived before I get to them? When going places and passengers ask why it does it I make some lame excuse rather than saying the obvious.

Quite some time ago (Nov 03) the question was put to Navman why they chose this method of working, they said that’s the way it has to be giving really lame excuses. It seems like they have a typical softhead there who thinks he knows best and doesn’t want to listen to advice. The suggestion was to allow users to select the distance that destination arrival is detected (personally I would set it to 0) at the moment it nearly always gets the distance wrong and occasionally gets right, it would be better the other way around wouldn’t it?

At the moment there are a number of issues and suggested improvements that Navman choose to ignore. Some are easy whilst others such as getting the number of exits on roundabouts right are obviously a little tricky else they would have done it by now. Still the list goes on and the competition is probably just going for it.

It rather interesting that when approached with problems their response is to either ignore you or the inference is that it “us users” that have got it wrong or don’t know what we are doing. Then, amazingly, in the next software release some of the bugs have been fixed (not the roundabouts though)

There are many problems which could be listed “till the cows come home” or nearly home if they have GPS fitted.

Sorry couldn’t resist replying to your post, I recently bought a 550 which was a big mistake, and I have 599 reasons for saying this!
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been too impressed with Navman's CS, although when you ring them it seems to be more productive than emailing them. Having sent a long letter describing the roundabouts problem (along with a scathing review of their CS) to the head honcho in NZ, and STILL waiting for a reply a month later, I can only assume that their appalling treatment of customers starts at the top.

I guess my next Sat Nav will be from another company.
FXRStuarty
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this lot it makes me wonder which company has the best satnav equipment at the price of around 200-300 quid and gives the same features as the Navman 510?

I am very new to satnav so cant give any input regarding comparison with other satnav units. However I do like what Navman gives me although I accept that does not say a great deal given my lack of experience with satnav in general.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FXRStuarty wrote:
Reading this lot it makes me wonder which company has the best satnav equipment at the price of around 200-300 quid and gives the same features as the Navman 510?

I am very new to satnav so cant give any input regarding comparison with other satnav units. However I do like what Navman gives me although I accept that does not say a great deal given my lack of experience with satnav in general.

Hi there FXRStuarty.
I have to say, overall I'm fairly pleased with my device for the money.

Plus points
Physical size, easy to cart around in pocket outside of vehicle. :D
User interface. Very easy to use. :D
Speed (or is it Safety) Camera installation. A doddle (although I used to destroy and build PC's as a hobby). :D
Maps. Like the look of the maps and the way the street name is 'tabbed' instead of trying to squash the street name into the street on the map. :D
First Fix. Always less than a minute from cold start. (Maybe I'm just lucky). :D

Minus points.
Sound quality. Dire, compared to my Missus Destinator. Sad
Active Custom POI's. Only 16 work on my machine but p.89 of the handbook says you can have 25. Navman assure me there will be a service pack released in February to fix this problem. Sad
Maps. Out of date. When you report it to Navman they blame TeleAtlas.
When you report it to TeleAtlas they blame Navman saying it is up to them how much information they make available on the maps they supply. I find that one quite odd. Sad
Arriving at destination. Navman arrives before you do. Sad

All that said, it does get me from A to B, even places I have never been before and that's what I bought it for. So the A-Z and maps have joined the clutter in the 'cupboard under the stairs', much to someone's disapproval.
So all in all it's a thumb's up from me. :D

CJ.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
I've never been too impressed with Navman's CS, although when you ring them it seems to be more productive than emailing them. Having sent a long letter describing the roundabouts problem (along with a scathing review of their CS) to the head honcho in NZ, and STILL waiting for a reply a month later, I can only assume that their appalling treatment of customers starts at the top.

I guess my next Sat Nav will be from another company.

Hi Smon1.
Saw your thread on the roundabout issue.
I hear where you're coming from (or is it, trying to get to) with the roundabout issue.
To overcome this (although it's not the answer and needs sorting) I seem to have inadvertently developed the habit of glancing at the screen just before entering a roundabout to get an idea where the 'red line' is going to take me and work it out from there.
So far so good.

CJ
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - I've gotten very good at that! The problem really gets bad tho, when you're at an unfamiliar roundabout and the unit is giving you some strange verbal direction (which it sometimes does) and you're trying to confirm it by looking at the screen, counting the exits on the roadsign and trying not to be hit by the white van that cannot go around the roundabout without cutting you off!
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon.
Here Here. Could be a problem on unfamiliar territory, especially the more complicated layouts. I know of one on the A127 over in Essex which has something like 7 mini roundabouts on one big roundabout. I'd love to see it handle that one. :D
I make you right though, it needs sorting.

CJ
ulujm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: away from home Reply with quote

hi guys,
I got the same pb that when I arrived home, navman tell me Iam arrivede even I have few meter away.

another thing, is when I am driving, then house number addres indicated indicated by navman dosn't not fit with th real one, usually there is a gap.
but this is fine for me the aim of GPs is to get you at the addres or in the area. after that you have to use your brain I guess.

Remember a stnav is not 100% accurate.
it's here to help you.

ulujm
Alan177
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
I was at that very roundabout in essex today and the navman had a brainstorm, not helped by the fact they're digging it up and changing the layout. but hey,navman helps me no end and gets a big thumbs up from me too!

:D
Alan177
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roundabout that is - not the navman !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: