Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac 268plus, poi warner and speed cam databases.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac 268plus, poi warner and speed cam databases.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
citori
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Mitac 268plus, poi warner and speed cam databases. Reply with quote

I have trolled thru these forums for days now and I still can't seem to find what I need. I'm sure some kind person will tell me where to look or give me a link.
I have a mitac mio 268+ and I have downloaded the POI warner software. On running it, it takes me to the POIhandler website. There are UK speed cam databases on there but so many I don't know which to use, I am confused, and are they accurate?
I would rather use the one on this site. but the instructions seem to be for a mio 168 not 268.
Does anybody know (a) which files I should be using (b) how do I get the file from the unzipped database into POI warner so I can load it on to the Mio 268+ hopefully with the speed cam icon.
I need a step by step guide!
And I thought UNIX was confusing!
hopefully waiting to be educated.
citori
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few hours of sitting and staring at my PC I finally figured this out.
It all seems so simple now.
I don’t know if I’m being a bit of a Mr thicky, but I didn’t find the manual for the POI Warner to be very explanatory!

Assuming that you already have POI Warner installed on your MIO 268+
First step, download and unzip the camera database files to a folder on your PC's C: drive.

Download some new wav files so you don’t have to listen to the German lady giving warnings.
I found mine at www.amngps4.wanadoo.co.uk
Download and unzip these to a folder on your PC's C: drive also.

From the camera database files I used the single .asc file for simplicity.
And I copied this to C:\Program Files\POI-Warner MioMap Edition\pois\export. on my PC.
I then copied a gatso camera .bmp to the same location.

Run POI Warner sync program and did a manual sync.
Do the simple configure on the POI Warner on the 268+ to select the gatso data base, and it all works.

To change the sound alerts.
Using a SD card reader, I created a folder call wav on the SD card.
I then copied over the wav files I required from the ones I had downloaded earlier.
In POI Warner on the 268+, I then went to POI manager-POI settings-acoustic alert.
Under the first warning and second warning tabs you can opt to select an alternative warning. When you click on the “browse button” it allows you select the desired wav file from the SD card.
Now on approaching a camera, I get a pleasant voice saying “check speed, gatso ahead.”
Given more time to experiment I can only assume that if you copy over the separate files for gatso, truevelo etc. you can assign individual icons and warnings. We shall see.
I’m sure if this is the best way to do this, but worked for me, if isn’t….I’m sure somebody will let me know.
daktari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link & instructions.

I had installed the POI Warner on my MIO 268+ & downloaded the database - and have found the "German woman" a total dominatrix Twisted Evil

No longer to have her intoning "Varning ... upcoming danger zone ..... Danger Zone straightforward(!)" is liberating :D

Thanks again
citori
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure, I have been experimenting and I have found that by copying up the seperate databases for gatso, truevelo, trafficlight cameras etc, and the relevant icons you can assign seperate voice warnings to the relevant item.
I was worried that the icons would get mixed up. But not so, the mitac assigns the relevant icon to the relevant database entry. Don't ask me how, it just does!
It would be really good if there was a way of determining which direction the camera was facing so that you didn't get warnings for cameras on the other side of the road. But I understand that this is a common problem with this type of gps/camera detector system.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: