Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fine Tuning the Setup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fine Tuning the Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what difference the Vehicle Type setting makes on the i3, please: ie. Car / Truck / Bus / Emergency Vehicle / Taxi - etc?? Question

TIA,
Aitch
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I do recall seeing some debate as to whether it also allowed the turns prompts to be called earlier - as I know some (inc. my wife :D) feel that the i3 does not give sufficient notice of roundabout exits, etc. in advance...AKA: "But how do I know which lane to take before it actually tells me?!"

Confirm / Deny?

Aitch
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:
Thanks - I do recall seeing some debate as to whether it also allowed the turns prompts to be called earlier - as I know some (inc. my wife :D) feel that the i3 does not give sufficient notice of roundabout exits, etc. in advance...AKA: "But how do I know which lane to take before it actually tells me?!"

Confirm / Deny?

Aitch

dont think so....possibly taxis might go down side streets (shorter route)...
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes I asked this question about approaching roundabouts a while ago, you can view the thread here.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34022

I've found that the i3 is extremely inconsistent about when it gives you the warning of what exit to take on roundabouts which can be a nightmare.

I frequently find that it only gives a 0.1 mile warning on approaches to large dual carrigeway roundabouts where the speed limit is 50mph but will warn you from about 0.4 miles on country roads where the national limit applies.

I think a better policy would be 0.4 of a mile from either the roundabout or whatever the distance to the roundabout is whichever is the greater of the two.

Garmin need to change the firmware so that the warnings are applied more consistently and not just related to the speed of the road as you could just as easily need a 0.4 mile warning on a busy multiple lane 30-50mph A class road as a 60mph B Class otherwise you find youself being told at the last minute what the exit is and therefore what lane you needed to be in.
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive found it wants to drag me through a town centre when the ring road around it is twice as quick and actually in some cases shorter to stay on the ring road than go through a town centre.
s7uar7
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the routing can be 'interesting'. I live in a semi-rural area and it's forever trying to drag me off on to single track roads; it maybe quicker at night when you can see the lights of oncoming cars, but certainly not during the day.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: