Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT-338 Problems on WM5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT-338 Problems on WM5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webresearch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: BT-338 Problems on WM5 Reply with quote

I've been happily running a BT-338 with TTN 5 for a while.
I recently upgraded to an HP 2750, and took the opportunity to upgrade to WM5.
Everything worked fine (though be aware that the TTN 5.0 Setup fails on WM5, I had to install using the 5.21 update).
I tried out a couple of other GPS programs (Navio, GPS Speed Sentry, GPSDash2 amongst others), and at some point everything went horribly wrong.
Now I can't get anything to connect to the receiver. I've tried both with and without the WM5 GPS utility, and used GPS Viewer and GPSInfo to scan the ports.
Bluetooth finds the device and connects ok, but none of the utilities or applications can find the device. After a couple of minutes the BT connection is dropped, presumably it sulks because nothing is talking to it.
Bluetooth is showing the incoming port as 5 and the outgoing port as 8, and if I try the WM5 GPS utility, I tell that to use Com 8 to talk the BT-338, and to provide its services on Com 6. Interesting to note that the WM5 GPS utility doesn't offer 38400 as a connect speed, the closest is 33600.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My next idea was to re-flash back to WM5 and start the installation again.

Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can run the BT receiver at any speed, including 4800 - maybe that helps

Have you by accident set the receiver to SiRF mode?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
webresearch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
It's possible that might have happened after playing with various GPS tools, but GPS Info etc are saying that they can't see anything, even if it's in the wrong format. If I have done that by mistake, how can I reset it if the utilities can't find the device?
An a newbie, I've been guessing I should stick to NMEA if I ever see a choice, and I believe the baud rate is not relevant on a BlueTooth connection, so I normally stick to 4800, even though I've heard that any baud rate should work.
Worst case, I'll reset the 2750 back to 2003, then run the WM5 upgrade, which will wipe everything, and start again. Ideally I'd do it all first on WM2003 before the upgrade, but there is a limit on the amount of time I have to play about!
Any comments on the GPS sharing facility in WM5 - or should I go for the proper product (whose name escapes me at the moment!)?
Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only have one receiver then do not even bother to enable the WM5 GPS applet, let alone the GPS sharing. Not required - hands off.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
webresearch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that make no difference now, I've tried the simple applications (GPS Info, GPS Viewer), and they can't find the connection.
How can I tell if I've flipped the GPS into SIRF mode rather than NMEA?
All I've done is try out a few diffent GPS apps, one of them has screwed things up, though it will be difficult to figure out which one. As I recall there was an app that seemed to install a driver that wouldn't go away until a hard reset.
Oh well, reset tomorrow!
webresearch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info, re-flashed the PDA with WM5, and I'm back up and running.
I think I may have inadvertly set the 338 into SIRF mode whilst playing around with various apps, would that explain the problem with TTN5?
If so, it's strange that other apps can't open the com port, even if they don't understand the info they get.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: