Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin announce the GPSMAP 76Cx and the GPSMAP 76CSx
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin announce the GPSMAP 76Cx and the GPSMAP 76CSx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Garmin announce the GPSMAP 76Cx and the GPSMAP 76CSx Reply with quote

New Garmin GPS receiverToday the outdoor products division of Garmin UK announce the latest upgrades to the GPSMAP range: The GPSMAP 76Cx and the GPSMAP 76CSx. These sport the new "x" suffix for "X"-treme.

Garmin has started to use the latest High Sensitivity SiRFStarIII chipset which has proven itself in a large number of GPS receivers already. The SiRFStarIII GPS enabled receivers are able to get a more accurate fix and retain that pinpoint position even under leaf coverage and in "urban canyons".

Apart from the new GPS chipset these GPS receivers also have TFT colour displays and come wit a 128Mb microSD card for storing Mapsource mapping data.

“The new x-series of handhelds gives hikers, hunters, geocachers, and boaters exactly what they’re looking for – the versatility of a memory card slot for adding highly-detailed maps,” said Gary Kelley, Garmin’s vice president of marketing.

Garmin Press Release wrote:

New Product Announcement: GPSMAP 76Cx / GPSMAP 76CSx

Garmin International is pleased to announce the GPSMAP® 76Cx and GPSMAP 76CSx. These new colour, handheld mapping products are ideal for both marine and outdoor use. Designed with the latest, high-sensitivity GPS receiver by SiRF, both units track your position even in tree cover and canyons. Each provide a bright, sunlight-readable color TFT display and include a 128MB microSD card for storage of optional map detail. Garmin preprogrammed microSD cards can be purchased, providing detail for BlueChart® and European streets. The 128MB microSD card can also be loaded with data from MapSource® products like BlueChart, MPC topo and City Navigator™. Fast USB connectivity makes loading charts and maps quick and easy, while navigation instructions can be shared with repeaters, plotters, and autopilots using NMEA protocols through the dedicated serial port. The GPSMAP 76CSx incorporates a barometric altimeter for extremely accurate elevation and vertical profile data. An electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still.

GPSMAP 76Cx (Includes: Unit, 128MB microSD, USB Interface Cable, MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD, Lanyard, Owners Manual, Quick Start Guide)

Availability: January, 2006
GARMIN Part Number: 010-00468-01
UPC: 753759057060
RRP - £ 419.87 ex VAT

GPSMAP 76CSx (Includes: Unit, 128MB microSD, USB Interface Cable, MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD, Lanyard, Owners Manual, Quick Start Guide)

Availability: January, 2006
GARMIN Part Number: 010-00469-01
UPC: 753759057046
RRP - £ 468.06 ex VAT

• New high sensitivity GPS receiver by SiRF
• Built-in quad helix receiving antenna with remote antenna capability
• Unit dimensions: 2.7”W x 6.2”H x 1.4”D
• Display: 1.5”W x 2.2”H, 256-color, 2.6” diagonal, transflective TFT (160 x 240 pixels)
• Weight: 216 g with batteries (not included)
• Sensors (GPSMAP 76CSx):
-Electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still
-Barometric altimeter with automatic pressure trend recording
• microSD card slot allows for storage of optional MapSource detail; 128MB microSD included
• LED Backlit display and keypad
• Battery life: up to 30 hours (76Cx), 20 hours (typical use), 76CSx using two AA alkaline batteries
• Includes a built-in Atlantic autoroute basemap with automatic routing capabilities including motorways and exits.
• Internal memory is preloaded with a marine point database
• 1000 user waypoints with name and graphic symbol; 50 reversible routes
• Position formats include Lat/Lon, UTM, Maidenhead, MGRS, user grid, and more
• Audible alarms for anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint and clock
• Large numbers option for easy viewing, dual position display mode
• Trip computer provides odometer, stopped time, moving average, overall average, total time, max speed and more
• 10,000 point automatic track log; 20 saved tracks (500 points each) let you retrace your path in both directions
• Elevation computer (GPSMAP 76CSx) provides current elevation, ascent/descent rate, minimum/ maximum elevation, total ascent and descent, average and maximum ascent and descent rate
• Built-in celestial tables for best time to fish and hunt, plus sun and moon calculations
• Compatible with most MapSource products including BlueChart, City Navigator, MPC topo
• Water resistant, IEC 60529 IPX7, (Submersible 1 meter @ 30 minutes), and it floats

More details on the Garmin website
Bajalou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Availability of 76CSX Reply with quote

Any word on when the 76CSX will be available - and any discounters carring it?

No Bad Days
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Availability of 76CSX Reply with quote

Bajalou wrote:
Any word on when the 76CSX will be available - and any discounters carring it?

These should be out soon. I am currently reviewing the 60Cx and it is a cracking unit. The SiRFStarIII chipset really does seem to make it really sensitive. I had a very strong 11 sat differential fix whilst flying over the Atlantic yesterday with the GPS at the window. On moving to the centre of the plane I still had a 6 sat standard fix. This is something I haven't seen with any other GPS receiver.
C150Pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin GPSMap 76CSx was delivered last Tuesday. I ordered it on-line on the preceding Sunday. Paid $459 incl FedEx overnight shipping. Located the seller by a Google search. I won't name it because I understand it violates Garmin's minimum price policy.
The 76CSx is very quick and sensitive, even indoors. It uses 12 satellites, up from 8 with my previous GPSs. The color LCD screen is clearly readable in bright sunlight without backlighting. It came with a 128 MB microSD memory card. I bought a 512 MB card at CompUSA for $60 -- it came with an adapter to use the card in a full size SD slot. The microSD card is really small, about the size of a small fingernail. The 76CSx has the usual Garmin round 4 pin power/serial socket, a USB socket and cord, and an external antenna connector. Data can be exchanged between the GPS and a PC by either serial or USB. Of couse, USB is far quicker. I bouught a GA25 MCX external antenna for $28. With it, a lock on with WAAS is very, very fast. I also bought an auto mount.
I had been unable to get moving map software to work with the 76CSx, map programs which worked well with my GPS V, III+, and 196. I went to Garmin's website today to seek assistance and I by chance found a firmware update which I downloaded and installed. Now the moving maps on the PC work fine with live data from the 76CSx.
So far I am very pleased with the 76CSx, and look forward to using it from cabins on ships where previous units could not get usable signals.
C150Pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C150Pilot again, with a correction to my previous post:
The 76CSx uses 20 satellites, instead of the 12 my other units use.

Also, battery life is about 10% less than the 76CS.

I usually disable the electronic compass, which is a battery eater. I find the barometric altimeter quite useful, but the user has to be aware of possible preceived discrepancies when atmospheric pressure and/or altitude are changing rapidly, just as a pilot has to set the altimeter. Given time, the 76CSx will adjust the barometric altitude to GPS altitude. I listen to the recodered weather broadcast at the local airport to get the altimeter setting to check the GPS.
Gacombe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin 76c with a battery life of 30 hrs is much better than the 76cs (18hrs) and 76csx (18hrs). And whats the point of a built in Barometric Altimeter on these other models when elevation data is already available on the 76c via satellite.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gacombe wrote:
The Garmin 76c with a battery life of 30 hrs is much better than the 76cs (18hrs) and 76csx (18hrs). And whats the point of a built in Barometric Altimeter on these other models when elevation data is already available on the 76c via satellite.

GPS elevation is not as accurate as barometric elevation.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: