Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin announce the eTrex Legend Cx and the eTrex Vista Cx
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin announce the eTrex Legend Cx and the eTrex Vista Cx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Garmin announce the eTrex Legend Cx and the eTrex Vista Cx Reply with quote

Today Garmin UK announce upgrades to the popular eTrex range of GPS receivers. The eTrex Legend Cx and the eTrex Vista Cx. Where the "x" signifies X-treme.

“The new x-series of handhelds gives hikers, hunters, geocachers, and boaters exactly what they’re looking for – the versatility of a memory card slot for adding highly-detailed maps,” said Gary Kelley, Garmin’s vice president of marketing.

Garmin has added removable storage (microSD) to these GPS receivers allowing them to be used with maps downloaded from your PC, or alternately you can purchase memory cards with pre-loaded mapping data on them.

Garmin Press Release wrote:

New Product Announcement: eTrex Legend Cx, Vista Cx

Garmin International is pleased to announce the eTrex Legend Cx and eTrex Vista Cx. These versatile, pocket-sized handheld mapping products are ideal for outdoor and marine use. Each provide a bright, sunlight-readable colour TFT display and include a 32MB microSD card for storage of optional map detail. Garmin preprogrammed microSD cards can be purchased, providing detail for BlueChart® and European streets. The 32MB microSD card can also be loaded with data from MapSource® products like MPC Topo, BlueChart and City Navigator™. Fast USB connectivity makes loading charts and maps quick and easy, while navigation instructions can be shared with repeaters, plotters, and autopilots using NMEA protocols through the dedicated serial port. The Vista Cx incorporates a barometric altimeter for extremely accurate elevation and vertical profile data. An electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still.

eTrex Legend Cx (Includes: Unit, 32MB microSD, USB Interface Cable, Bike mount clip, MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD, Lanyard, Owners Manual, Quick Start Guide)

Availability: January, 2006
GARMIN Part Number: 010-00440-01 UPC: 753759049164
RRP £ 259.00 ex VAT

eTrex VistaCx (Includes: Unit, 32MB microSD, USB Interface Cable, Bike mount clip, MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD, Lanyard, Owners Manual, Quick Start Guide)

Availability: January, 2006
GARMIN Part Number: 010-00439-01 UPC: 753759049201
RRP £ 299.00 ex VAT

• WAAS enabled, 12 parallel channel GPS receiver
• Built-in GPS patch antenna
• Unit dimensions: 2.2”W x 4.2”H x 1.2”D
• Display: 1.3”W x 1.7”H, 256-color, high resolution, transflective TFT (176 x 220 pixels)
• Weight: 159g with batteries (not included)
• Sensors (Vista Cx):
-Electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still
-Barometric altimeter with automatic pressure trend recording
• MicroSD card slot allows for storage of optional MapSource detail; 32MB microSD included
• LED Backlit display and keypad
• Battery life: up to 36 hours (Legend Cx); 20 hours (Vista Cx) typical use using two AA alkaline batteries
• Includes a built-in Atlantic basemap with automatic routing capabilities including motorways, exits
• 500 user waypoints with name and graphic symbol; 20 reversible routes, 50 points per route
• Position formats include Lat/Lon, UTM, Maidenhead, MGRS, user grid, and more
• Audible alarms for anchor drag, arrival, off-course and clock
• Large numbers option for easy viewing, dual position display mode
• Trip computer provides odometer, stopped time, moving average, overall average, total time, max speed and more
• 10,000 point automatic track log; 20 saved tracks (500 points each) let you retrace your path in both directions
• Elevation computer (Vista Cx) provides current elevation, ascent/descent rate, minimum/ maximum elevation, total ascent and descent, average and maximum ascent and descent rate
• Built-in celestial tables for best time to fish and hunt, plus sun and moon calculations
• Compatible with most MapSource products including BlueChart, City Navigator, MPC topo
• Water resistant, IEC 60529 IPX7, (Submersible 1 metre @ 30 minutes)

More details on the Garmin website.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been hoping that Garmin would use the SiRF III GPS chip as it is so much more sensitive. Any ideas on why they have not done so?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at the moment, but I will be seeing Garmin next week and I will ask them.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. When I looked at the Garmin UK site I could not find a link to Outdoor GPS units, just Automotive, Fitness and Mobile. Are they trying to tell me something ;)
rriggers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a vista for mtb'ing. It works great when you are loading routes up or downloading tracklogs.
But until you can loads some decent OS style maps its basically not that great.
Having to carry my gps and still laminate maps is a right pain Sad
redshift
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

Any follow-up on this? Is the sensitivity of the new units improved over the C models?
mattius
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redshift wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Any follow-up on this? Is the sensitivity of the new units improved over the C models?

Any update on this question????? Confused
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattius wrote:
redshift wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Any update on this question????? Confused

Don't know how the Cx compares with the C but my Vista Cx is far more sensitive than my old eTrex Legend (monochrome). The Vista Cx can lock on though a plywood roof of our cottage. It has stayed locked on under dense foliage on a rainy day while clipped to my fanny pack flipping around sideways and upside down.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: