Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - COPILOT 6 ROUTING ANOMALIES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

COPILOT 6 ROUTING ANOMALIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo et al are right - the problem is that mny approaches/exits have the "no through road" crosses on them. (BTW is this documented anywhere?). They are hard to see as they only show up when almost fully zoomed in and are pale grey. I changed them to red in styles.cfg (Basic\Road\Oneway) to make them easier to find. Assuming the Navteq maps are right then the next likely source of the error is in the program ALK uses to convert and compress the maps. Luckily in the UK they do not seem to be a problem. The only crosses I could find were genuine, I believe, barriers that I know of around Croydon but some do appear to be oddly placed.
ALK really should fix this just like they did with the submerged cities in the US in CP5

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
If it was a data error then ALL Navteq based systems would have this map problem. If all the other Navteq based systems DON'T have this problem then it's a bug in CoPilot....

You must remember that although Navteq may supply the maps, they do not supply exactly the same version to everyone, and as has been evident from posts in these forums, it is sometimes difficult to get anyone to commit to the exact version supplied.

It is possible that my comments were based on a misunderstanding of the description of the problem, but if I did understand correctly, in that the error was evident in the map itself, then where this is the case, it is usually (always?) a problem with the map data, because if it were the program, the effect would in all probability be far more widespread.

Unfortunately, mapping software does not usually offer any warranty regarding the data itself (when they buy it in) and you are usually stuck with it until they buy in a version where the problem is fixed. Obviously, if there is a major problem with the data (ie Navteq forgot to include more than 4 exits on any roundabout), then you probably would get a data patch - but for simple errors, it is probably unlikely.
Paolo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,
the "problem" I highlighted affects CP6 map only. CP5 is ok!
I used CP5+EUmaps successfully until last December when I (unluckily) bought CP6 upgrade with EU maps. (version 6.0.0.68 )
Clearly, I disabled "avoid toll roads" and I selected the quickest route

In order to see "crosses" errors you should have the EU maps or Italian or France maps.
A simple test could be: Startpoint=(Rovato,Italy), Endpoint=(Cassinone, Italy)

I'm suspecting to be the only italian customer of ALK... this is not a good feeling!
On February the 2nd I opened a bugreport with ALK...up to now no answer.

My suggestion is: do not buy EU upgrade until this "bug" (quoted for neil01 ;-) ) is solved.

Paolo
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo wrote:
My suggestion is: do not buy EU upgrade until this "bug" (quoted for neil01 ;-) ) is solved.

Paolo

Unfortunately, as I said earlier, if it is a 'data error' there is much less chance of it being fixed in the short term. Possibly the best way to find out is to report the problem to Navteq. If it is their fault, it should hopefully be fixed before ALK buy in the next set of maps (possibly not until CP 7 though).

I really am not being pedantic about how the 'error' should be described, simply trying to help people differentiate between problems caused by the CoPilot application itself, and problems with the data ALK buy in from Navteq, since the process/likelyhood of obtaining a 'fix' is quite diferrent.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 writes:

Quote:
... mapping software does not usually offer any warranty... you are usually stuck with it...

The fact that this is usually the situation does not make it OK, and the fact that a third party produces the maps does not make the navigation package any better. I am sure that is not what neil01 means to say, but if the maps are as bad as some forum members have described, then ALK need to be bringing out some revised ones - and where they obtain them is a matter for them.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponderous got me right! I was not justifying anything - just reporting the situation as it seems to be.

Unfortunately, 'fitness for purpose' and 'of merchantable quality' is a bit of a grey area. We already have case law which states that you can't expect software (or data) to be 100% accurate (unless it actually claims to be so)

I actually think it inexcusable that the only way you are usually able to get updated maps, is to wait and buy the next version of the application - but that is another soapbox!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
Possibly the best way to find out is to report the problem to Navteq. If it is their fault, it should hopefully be fixed before ALK buy in the next set of maps (possibly not until CP 7 though).

There are two possibilities here, Navteq made a major mistake when they mapped Italy OR ALK made a major mistake when they converted Navteq's map data for use with CoPilot.

neil01 seems to imply that this is a Navteq problem rather than a CoPilot one but I find this hard to accept. Navteq supply a lot of manufacturers with mapping data. Surely such a serious problem with the maps would have been spotted and corrected?

So has anyone asked ALK if this is a Navteq problem or an ALK problem? Paolo, do you fancy putting a call in to ALK to see what the story is?
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can submit map feedback directly to Navteq, and they say that they will reply to every submission.

Select system brand as PDA/ALK/CoPilot when requested. Currently, they only list CP5, but you should be able to add CP6 in the comments.

Even if it is an ALK problem, Navteq should tell you and, hopefully, tell ALK as well.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
neil01 seems to imply that this is a Navteq problem rather than a CoPilot one but I find this hard to accept. Navteq supply a lot of manufacturers with mapping data. Surely such a serious problem with the maps would have been spotted and corrected?

Not at all, I certainly think that on a balence of probabilities based on my understanding of the information provided, that the Mapping is the most likely culprit.

I fully accept that the information provided may not include details that would confirm the situation one way or another, or that I have misunderstood it (a qualification I did make). I even suggested contacting Navteq who should be able to confirm where the problem lies.

As for how it should be affecting other applications, this could quite easily not be the case, for if I understand correctly (from the claims made by ALK), CoPilot used the very latest maps from Navteq (which would I think only just have been released), and it may well be possible (probable in fact), that no other mainstream application uses them - it is also possible (due to release dates) that no other mainstream application will ever use the particular set that ALK purchased. Their use possibly being restricted to the CD/DVDs being issued for integrated car navigation systems with frequent data updates - a much more limited market where the errors can appear and be fixed before a significant number of users even notice.

Just to make it clear - I am simply trying to make people aware of two major, but quite different types of errors; Application, and Data, and the likeleyhood of getting a free update. I am not (and never have been) saying what type of error it is for definate, or trying to justify any position.
Paolo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,
ALK contacted me last week.

They CONFIRMED the map errors.

They offered a FULL refounding for my CP6 upgrade (and reactivation of my previous CP5 key) since

"the fix will require a complete re-compilation of the NAVTEQ data".

This means a lot of time for debugging and so on...
They cannot provide me the date for a new release with no errors in Italy and France maps!

I'm going to accept the refound, but I'm sad... Sad CP remains a good navigation software. I'll try again with CP7 .

Any other idea?

Paolo
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Paolo, on the bright side CP5 is about as good a navigation package as CP6 (unfortunately for CP6). In fact, CP5 is a very good way to go.

I am happy that I can run both CP5 and CP6 on my desktop, using CP5 for the EU maps.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
redhorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any software around that will let you edit maps (like removing the little crosses)?
For the most part I am using CP6 in UK, and yes it seems a more stable than CP5, so I've no great desire to drop back to CP5. However, I do have occasion to use it in Europe where the problems mostly are.

CP6 6.0.0.68
Pocket PC 4.20.0 Mio168
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also reported routing problems, mainly connected with motorway exits, back in December. Alk support have just emailed me to say that they have been able to reproduce the problem, and a set of 4 revised CDs are being issued in 3-4 weeks, and will be sent to me as soon as they are released. I hope they keep to their target date, because th next time I shall need CoPilot in France is mid April
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that the problems I described above were in France
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Paolo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just few words to conclude this thread

I accepted the refund and I obtained the money back (only the net price, shipping costs were gone Evil or Very Mad ).

Robin, please inform us when the update/fix is delivered...if it would happen...

thany you
Paolo

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: