Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - COPILOT 6 ROUTING ANOMALIES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

COPILOT 6 ROUTING ANOMALIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
I have also found through experience not to place waypoints on sliproads to/from roundabouts or on the roundabout itself. I would try placing the waypoint a little way down the road you wish to take.

Totally agree. You sort of get the hint when it takes you down the wrong way on the motorway and does a U-turn at the next junction. Smile

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashBiker wrote:

My hunch has always been it's not the A34 between the M3 and the M4 that's the issue but the A34 between the M4 and Oxford.

Certainly with CPL5 I would be routed up to the M4 on the A34 but then nothing short of a Via would convince CPL5 to take me North at the A34/M4 interchange.

You have a point there. I was basing my comment on this trip which is a clear indicator of something awry. However, the problem could well be north of the M4. You can download the trip file and it gives the same result on both desktop and PPC.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
redhorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on waypoints.

I've rechecked the A11 without using waypoints: starting on south carriageway north of J8 and picking destinations about 1/2mile from each junction. You can't leave at junctions 8,9,10,11, or 12. You can however leave at an unnumbered junction between 8 &9, (D212)which from its T-junction slip roads I suspect is really a gated service road.

Something is seriously screwed up here, and I know this was not an issue on CP5

nick
redhorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on waypoints.

I've rechecked the A11 without using waypoints: starting on south carriageway north of J8 and picking destinations about 1/2mile from each junction. You can't leave at junctions 8,9,10,11, or 12. You can however leave at an unnumbered junction between 8 &9, (D212)which from its T-junction slip roads I suspect is really a gated service road.

Something is seriously screwed up here, and I know this was not an issue on CP5

nick
Paolo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the answer: I know why trip errors happen.

It is simple: Maps are incorrect, i.e. it is forbidden to run along many highway connections. This is expecially true for toll road, such as in France and Italy. (in italy more than 90% of highway exits are wrong!)

You can simply check this bug going to your favorite test trip (please, use desktop software, not PPC) and magnifing map close to highway connections (exit and entrance). You'll see gray crosses placed on the ramps. This means you cannot use them!

This is an GIANT MAP BUG.

We should formally protest with ALK. My CP6 is useless in Italy (where I live)

Paolo

PS: I have a lot of screenshots documenting the bug
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might sound a bit pedantic, but what you describe is not a bug - it is data error - quite a diferrent matter!

Especially when it comes to getting it corrected (ie not much hope until the next full release of CoPilot )- you are not likely to get a patch.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
It might sound a bit pedantic, but what you describe is not a bug - it is data error - quite a diferrent matter!

If it was a data error then ALL Navteq based systems would have this map problem. If all the other Navteq based systems DON'T have this problem then it's a bug in CoPilot....
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo wrote:
(in italy more than 90% of highway exits are wrong!)

You can simply check this bug going to your favorite test trip (please, use desktop software, not PPC) and magnifing map close to highway connections (exit and entrance). You'll see gray crosses placed on the ramps. This means you cannot use them!

Paolo, can you give me one or two simple trip endpoints in Italy as example?

I have created some Italian trips in CP5 and I can't find any problem yet, and I have not seen any little crosses.

I don't have EU maps for CP6.

Grazie
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
redhorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible CP6 is having problems with access to some toll roads? In fact does anyone know how Navteq label a toll gate or access point to a toll road?

This could explain my problems with A11; the points I can't exit have toll gates, the points I can exit are to other motorways or a bogus exit without toll gate. This could also be the issue with the Mont Blanc Tunnel. I also suspect Paolo's motorways are toll roads.

Anyone in UK had any problems with M6 Toll?

I don't believe this problem existed with CP5, but since my upgrade, of course I don't have CP5 any more, so I can't do direct comparisons on my system.

CP6 6.0.0.68
Pocket PC 4.20.0 Mio168
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redhorse wrote:
I also suspect Paolo's motorways are toll roads.

Hmmm, is Avoid Tolls switched on then?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redhorse writes:

Quote:
Is it possible CP6 is having problems with access to some toll roads?

Almost certainly, my equine and learned friend has put his or her hoof on the problem: Avoid Tolls is on and needs switching off.

It's definitely a case of "Doh, why didn't I think of that", particularly regarding the Mont Blanc tunnel. One reason may be a persisting negative tendency in my thought towards Copilot. Changing that tendency will be easier when we see a patch that addresses the issues that truly are issues. For that reason and others, I hope that neil01 was wrong when he speculated that we would never see a patch.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
redhorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite that simple, Ponderous.

In my case "Avoid Tolls" was not enabled. My problem with the A11 came as part of a planned trip from Ouistreham to near Saumur.CP6 was quite happy to let me use the A28 from Alencon to Le Mans, and to leave the A11 onto the A85 and then come off that(all toll roads).What it wouldn't let me do was exit the A11 mid-way.

What I suspect is that CP6 is applying the "Avoid Tolls" function selectively on certain stretches of road according to its own internal twisted logic, with no regard to what the user has set.

CP6 6.0.0.68
Pocket PC 4.20.0 Mio168
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
... I hope that neil01 was wrong when he speculated that we would never see a patch.

We will receive a patch; that much is obvious. ALK are a commercial company and, apart from keeping and enhancing their reputation, they will obviously need to minimise their support costs. As to when, and what the first patch will contain, is anybody's guess. Hopefully, it will be soon, and will fix the obvious bugs, such as the 30-second POI alert screen.

Everybody has a different idea of what are bugs, and what are feature requests, so I doubt that anybody will be totally satisfied.

Hopefully, we will get several patches that quickly resolve the major bugs, rather than have to wait for a single 'perfect' patch.

However, it's possible that routing problems that relate to Navteq data might not be under the control of ALK to resolve.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb writes:

Quote:
We will receive a patch; that much is obvious.

I don't think that I can agree with that, Ian. A reason why I remain pessimistic (but, as ever anxious to be blown out of the water when the patch appears) is that only one patch appeared for CP 5 (5.0.0.48 if my memory serves me); that was some months after release, and nothing very much appeared to get fixed by it Rolling Eyes .

This is why I am stressing how important, in my view, it is for ALK to build on its relatively good start with CP 6 and show us all that the bad old days really are gone.

I think that iankb's suggestion that they get one patch out quickly to deal with such things as the POI display duration, wonky keyboard etc., then follow up with a major patch later is very good Thumbs Up . It would demonstrate that the delay since 15th December is not simply lead-swinging, and also would give us the opportunity of sending them reports on what remains to be addressed in the major patch.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to redhorse for not acknowledging his or her:

Quote:
Not quite that simple, Ponderous.

I'm not sure if I am or am not surprised, having come, as I say, to having to stop myself automatically thinking it must be Copilot when something is wrong.

Roll on the patch (but peel it off slowly, or it might sting)!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: