Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux 236 and Tomtom Mobile
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux 236 and Tomtom Mobile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
satshergill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Holux 236 and Tomtom Mobile Reply with quote

I have a Holux 236 on a Orange C500 running Tomtom Mobile

You'll be glad to know that I actually have it working.......

However when using tomtom there seems to be about 1 second delay
from your actual position to that shown on the map

This is my first time using TomTom software and was wondering whether this was normal.

I thought it might be the Baud rate setting. I can't find where to change it in Tomtom Mobile and whether you could change on the Device

On Mapoplis you can set the baud rate within the app

Does anybody now what the maximum setting is

Thanks
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Holux not working with Orange SPV C500. Reply with quote

That's normal for any GPS system. A gps only outputs the position once per second - it takes it that long to get all the data and to the calculations to get the position. Obviously it takes tomtom a little while longer to render the map screen, but this is probalby only in the order of milliseconds.

Obviously a 1 second delay doesn't affect navigation in any way, so I've never seen anyone else complain about it Smile In fact I'm surprise you can even spot a delay so small.

What I WOULD like to know is, how did you get your holux working on your C500? I can't even get TT5 to recognise it. It was fine when I had a real TomTom GPS (lost) but I can't get it to work with the holux GPSlim 236. It's all paired properly and everything and the phone can 'see' it, but TomTom just always says "no gps device".

Any ideas anyone?
Retset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much help I know but I just paired the devices and made sure to set TT5 to 'other bluetooth device' and job done.

Bit more trickery required on the PDA Navigator version (like my mate has) but seems straight forward on smartphone.
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's try and de-mystify some confusion here:

Buad rate - it shouldn't matter what baud rate you set your GPS to (providing of course that your software is set to the same) as it is still sending information once per second! This means that your GPS sends its positional information once every second only and all you are doing by chnaging the baud rate is making it "say" its position more quickly - not more often, just more quickly. For example let's say that at 4800 baud the GPS takes 0.5 seconds to "say" its position and at 38400 baud it takes 0.1 second to "say" the same thing. Now, since the GPS can only send information once per second it means that at 4800 baud it takes 0.5 second to "speak" and is then "saying" nothing for the remaining 0.5 seconds until it starts again. At 38400 it takes 0.1 second to "speak" the same information and is "saying" nothing for the remaining 0.9 seconds until the whole process repeats. BTW, the 0.5 seconds and 0.1 second are NOT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY - they are purely examples. Wink All this means that altering the baud rate will not affect your apparent lag, in fact it shouldn't affect anything!

Secondly, there seems to be some confusion between TT5 for PDA and SmartPhone - they are two way different things and the configuration is AN AWFUL LOT different.

Thirdly, to configure TTN for the Orange SPV C500 click http://www.gps-assist.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=42#post42. BTW, the C500 is generically called an HTC Typhoon.

To be honest you shouldn't be seeing any lag at all - all our experiments with TTN (version 4.430 GPS driver v1.20 ) on the C500 have shown it to be absolutely spot on. Maybe you could try using the GPS with another piece of software that you or a friend may have to see if the problem manifests itself again or it stays with your C500.

What version of TTN are you running on your C500?

Kindest regards,

The HOLUX UK Technical Support Team.

Holux Navigation Aids ".....Get there."
fruitneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same experience as SATSHERGILL.

I am using a C550 with TT mobile 5.2 and it is sooooo slow with the Holux

I have tested my C550 with a fortuna clip on and a Globalsat 338 and they work just fine, no jerking or pausing and the map scrolls smoothly when you turn corners or go round a roundabout.

Also unable to connect my gps to the pc as I am not going to pay £15 for
a lead that should have been included.

Going to leave unit with no battery in for a couple of days to see if this
sorts it - if not then will get refund and buy the globalsat
fruitneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted my own problem out.

I downloaded a sirf app from memory-map and set "Static navigation" to ON.

TOMTOM is now working a treat.

I think the problem was caused by setting tomtom to "Bicycle" mode
and then switching back to Fastest route and tomtom being unable
to toggle the SN to ON

Phew!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: