Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SAT NAV IN NORTHERN IRELAND
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SAT NAV IN NORTHERN IRELAND

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solo12002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: SAT NAV IN NORTHERN IRELAND Reply with quote

As a neewbie on here I thought I give some advice to others in Northern Ireland thinking of buying a Sat Nav system.

I was shocked to find out during the week that most of the sat nav systems sold in comet, PC World, Halford etc within Northern Ireland dont work in Northern Ireland due to having TeleAltas mapping software.

If you buy the likes of TomTom, ot navaman ICN 520 you have to buy the EU map to get basic coverage of Northern Ireland which may set you back another £90.

Thank you for your question regarding TomTom maps. TomTom is investigating the possibility of adding new unsupported countries but TomTom will not do so unless the DIGITAL map data is of a satisfactory quality. May we ask you to please keep an eye on our website in the months to come.

The DIGITAL data for the Republic of Ireland at this time from our DIGITAL map provider Tele Atlas is not of a quality that we find satisfactory. When this improves perhaps we will investigate the possibility of having this map data available.

The TomTom GO 700 will have some map data of Ireland but this will be limited to some areas of Cork, Dublin, and Galway along with the major roads data only. If you are not within the available data on the map then you will not have a GPS signal.

Northern Ireland is covered with 25 percent map coverage (perhaps slightly more) within the GB map but this is all of the DIGITAL map data our DIGITAL map provider Tele Atlas has available to us at this time.

If we decide to include the Republic of Ireland in any downloadable map with GB then only Dublin and the major roads will be included at the present time. That map is posted here and within this map map coverage of Northern Ireland has increased from 25 percent to 34 percent. This map contains the major roads of Ireland and Dublin, but no detailed map as of yet.

If you live in Northern Ireland and wish to buy a sat Nav system then go for one with NavTeq mapping installed, as they cover most of Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Now for some advice if I was to buy a Sat Nav Ssystem either the road Angel Nav or the nüvi 300 which should I go for??
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See similar thread here:-
http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33482

The coverage in Ireland is very poor compared with UK and Europe.
If you want to see examples, send Private Message with your email address. I can show Garmin CitySelect Europe v7.
Specify a location your interested in!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: