Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the Honda DVD sat nav any good?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Honda DVD sat nav any good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BertieMeldrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be too late to be of use - but I'll dropmy thoughts in anyway!

I had the SatNav system in a CRV Exec I purchased in August 2004. In all honesty I was disappointed with it! I'm about to trade the Exec in for a CRV Sport and have ordered it without the SatNav... am going for an iPaq1/TTN6 combo (for a number of reasons)

One of the things that really put me off the Honda system was the fact that if you want an updated DVD it is in excess of £200! This has to be the worlds most expensive DVD (well, almost Smile)

Also, for a car so advanced I actually think the Honda SatNav is pretty basic! The mapping database has a lot of errors in - ok, many of them minor but more than enough to get my missus confused! It's also not particularly intuituve to use and there are a number of features "missing" - e.g. how to turn it off once it's on (without stopping the engine).

OK the display (screen) is OK but 2D is limited. There's also very little (no?) scope to customise it!

All in all... I'm glad to have the opportunity to move on to what I believe will be a better system!
vgeorg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: A few more thoughts... Reply with quote

Even if it's a little old, I did find this topic quite useful)) So here's what I think...

I have an Accord Executive with the DVD-based navi. Overall, the impression is good. Ergonomics is excellent, the screen is large and well positioned. The map was quite old and I got an updated DVD on Ebay. I am quite an experienced Ebayer but that was a costly mistake)) They said it was an original but in fact was a Dual Layered DVD copy. Works 98 per cent of the time, but it might freeze the system occasionally, which is extremely annoying. So... beware! The dual layered copies made by home computers are obviously not as good as the original disc, even if that one is an outrageous 200 quid. Also, the copies will update your system to the latest navi software and you will not be able to go back to the original DVD!

Anyway, I guess I'll just wait for the Navteq 2007/2008 release and do another update. Especially considering that Navteq finally included speed cameras in the last quarter of 2006. Remains to be seen if it applies to older navi systems.

Finally, I would say the re-routing on Honda is quite slow, compared with my E-ten G500 mobile phone, which runs iGO and Destinator at a blazing speed.

However, I would not go back to a mobile system ever. One more reason... the gyro the Honda navi uses is truly fantastic. You would be hopelessly lost in the centre of London, especially on streets with high buildings, using a portable system, even if it's Sirf III based.

However, the gyro system of the Accord allowed me to navigate once, quite well actually, for about 5 minutes, with no GPS coverage at all, only based on the gyro movements of the car. Now that is fantastic and it's more important to me than being able to update POIs))
user10664
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: honda nav Reply with quote

i had a honda crv with sat nav in it .it was very good but not on to the tomtom.
please also note updated cd disks from honda are £300 plus and you can only get them from honda shame realy
as for the honda crv it was brill.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Honda Civic EX & Sport have built in SatNav. They apparently now use Navteq maps and they also have built in TrafficMaster TMC.

According to user reports on www.civinfo.com (mine not arriving till March) the latest incarnation is as good as the TomTom in many areas.

As has already been said though, no cameras and you cant install any.

I am considering having the TomTom hidden away just to give me the audible camera warnings.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
user10664
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont wast your money on the honda sat nav get your self the tomtom one
the first one that came out as it is the best out the lot.
you will not be dissapointed with the old one it is faultless and cheap
good luck and enjoy your new car
johnnyh
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump an old topic but...

A friend of mine has new Accord (07) with Honda Sat Nav.

It really looks good in operation. It also has neat 'pop-up' display of lanes to be in for 'complex' motorway/Dual carriage-way junctions . The TM TMC seems to work very well even around the TM TMC depleted NW of England (around North Cheshire and Peak District Derbyshire anyway).

Add to this the lack of anthing to pinch / full integration with phone and car radio it's a compelling package. OK - cost of map updates are contentious - but if it comes with the car...
DP111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just bought a new 2006 crv with sat nav. I live in N. Ireland.

It is an 'All Europe' disk.
database version 2.0406.120605.1293
software version 04.54.00

Can anyone tell me if i can get a 'UK & Ireland' disk or an upgrade disk. I had a (portable) Garmin sat nav in my last car & it was great, showed all the minor roads & parks around where i live. The one in the Honda is useless to say the least. (it cant even recognise my postcode !!)

Cant find any info on the Honda site.

thanks,
David
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would chip in on this one now I have had my accord a few months.

I previously used a TTG 500 with the GPS camera database.

I now use the accord S/N with a Talex (Hidden) speed camera detector.

I was wary at first, but I must I admit that I now prefer the Honda system over the TTG. OK the TTG has 3D, but I am used to the 2D layout and actually prefer it now.

TMC is an absolute god send and a saved me a few times already, but I don't trust 100% yet and always looks for indications about road closures and jams to back it up.
DP111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:
The SatNav in the new (Jan 2006) CRV Executive did not include traffic master. If it had, this would have changed my opinion radically. That being said, for £1400 I would still expect a current map and not one that is effectively 2 years out of date!

The Honda web site is not very specific on what versions of SatNav each model includes, but it is clear that there are more options on the cars than the SUV models. Evil or Very Mad

The Civic mentions voice recognition to control the SatNav! :D

Just found out that the new 2006 CR-V has the 2004 maps, apparently this is the latest maps available, so much for yearly updates ??????
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a new model CRV with the Honda SatNav, and the unit claims to have a 2006 map on the DVD. As Navteq don't list update disks for Hondas I assume I can only get an updated one via Honda. I've had a TomTom Go Classic for a couple of years now, with the Pocket GPS camera database on it. I miss the 3D display of the TomTom and the cameras on the Honda (Alpine) unit but the map appears to be pretty good (as good as the latest TomTom map), route planning sound, and the overall package plus hands free phone integration and a pretty good stereo with aux input (I can get rid of that bloody iTrip now) is very slick and hassle free IMHO. I'd never used TMC prior to getting the CRV, but it accurately picked up a couple of jams on a run to Scarborough and could prove very useful.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdatkinson wrote:
I've just got a new model CRV with the Honda SatNav, and the unit claims to have a 2006 map on the DVD. As Navteq don't list update disks for Hondas I assume I can only get an updated one via Honda. I've had a TomTom Go Classic for a couple of years now, with the Pocket GPS camera database on it. I miss the 3D display of the TomTom and the cameras on the Honda (Alpine) unit but the map appears to be pretty good (as good as the latest TomTom map), route planning sound, and the overall package plus hands free phone integration and a pretty good stereo with aux input (I can get rid of that bloody iTrip now) is very slick and hassle free IMHO. I'd never used TMC prior to getting the CRV, but it accurately picked up a couple of jams on a run to Scarborough and could prove very useful.

Now this is the kind of post I wanted to read !!

I've been TomTom through and through since TT3 all via PDA and I am just about to order my new CRV EX with all the toys. I had a test drive in an EX today and had a good fiddle with the SatNav !! It worked just as I hoped, voice was loader than my non-amplified TomTom and I really liked the pop up window when you come to a junction / roundabout.

I'm not bothered it's 2D as I have my tomtom set to 2D as I still find the 3D Weird after 4 years of use.

Going to miss my speed cameras though, so will need to invest in a cheap Talex or similar.

I use TomTom Traffic which is still hit and miss, so nothing new in the hit and miss TMC in the Honda, except it's FREE, at the moment I have a bluetooth phone permanently in my car just for TomTom Traffic !! So will save on my PAYG topups.

Looking forward to getting it now, and if it really is that bad I can always plug my PDA TomTom in Laughing
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read through all the posts since my last one...ages ago, but , in my opinion it is utter and total rubbish...(Having now had it for 18 months or so. ) The Dealer/Honda have never contacted me with any new DVD that may or may not be available. I used to get sick to death of waiting for the safety warning instruction to go...total rubbish. Thank God for my TT system, which cost me a fortune in the early days, having purchased the original in Holland some 5/6 years back. Now on TT6 and fine tuned to my exact requirements, including POI Warner which I switch on for certain runs. If things have not changed, then do not buy a Honda wth satnav !!
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Is it worth getting an inbuilt sat nav for £1400 that you can't update! seems like a no brainer to me! as for having a Tom Tom stuck to the windscreen, that's a no no in todays climate, look for the alternative mounts from Brodit and such like. Plus the Tom Tom allows enough battery time to do short trips without connecting through the cig lighter, up to 2 to 3 hours. Charge it up befotre you go out!
Anyway It's your hard earned cash to spend how you like? I found the Tom Tom clear enough in speech and as far as a wider screen on an in car unit being a plus! should you be looking at the maps while driving!
Just a thought for the day
dunk Wink
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Did you also know that the TTOne first edition with the SIRF*** works underneath the dash and even in the glove box! Brilliant.
I used it through europe earlier this year and the difference it made to the trip was worth every penny spent. The directions spoken were spot on and didn't need anything but to concentrate on driving with all the commands in good time to act on and as I said spot on even to telling one to keep to the left or right after exiting the slip road as you were entering onto another motorway straight away! Ir was like having your very own tour director who knew the area like the back of his hand or in Tom Toms case Hands! Rolling Eyes If that wasn't enough get to a strange city park up and go walkies after setting the car park as a favorite and get yourself lost ! no worries the one will get you back the walking route! Plus it fits the pocket perfectly. £1400 for an inbuilt system Yeah! Very Happy
andymurray2810
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Honda Accord Built in Satnav Reply with quote

I have just received a Honda Accord Tourer before xmas and I am very happy with the satnav.

Good points are not having to unplug the tom tom every time I leave the car. The voice activated nav is good once you get the hang of it.
The TMC works well so far on the M6 including the Toll Road.

Bad Points are no 3D display that the tom tom has and therefore you cannot view the type of bend you are approaching on A roads.
Cannot upload POI's including cameras, a bit of an issue when I travel 1K miles a week.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: