Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks Dave... Reply with quote

My SysOnChip Serial No. is 03062*****

It seems to be working ok of late, but when I'm sat at home it needs a 5 sat. fix for it to lock onto my correct location anything less and it floats around by a few meters in any direction. Rolling Eyes

A least I know why it does it now.

Thanks again Dave. Thumbs Up

Garry Platt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well does this system work with TomTom?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it working very well. I've been using TTN2 2.24 GPS 2.06 with the SOC CF Plus since I started reviewing the product.
Garry Platt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"SOC CF Plus"

I'm not familar with this, what is it?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOC stands for SysOnChip. CF Plus is the GPS Receiver.
SysOnChip CF Plus GPS Receiver
happyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: SysOnChip poor performance Reply with quote

Sad I bought one of these on the strength of the review
I have a Dell Advanced PDA, with TTN2 2.24 & 2.07, Maps on a Sandisk 256mb card
The problem is in both the Sirf and Nmea modes the mode can be changed easily using
Sirfstar demo
The GPS is recognized as a Sysonchip CF_GPS_Receiver in tomtom and I set it to work
as 0183v2 4800 in the Nmea mode and in the Sirf mode the fastest baud rate I can get it to work at is Sirf 38400
There are time lags which result in incorrect information
On test for the last four weeks driving around my town I find it telling me to turn the wrong direction, a second later it corrects itself. I have driven past junctions quite often also the speed indicator is lagging behind my speedo reading.
Basically its rubbish! Maybe a new driver would cure the problem or maybe my firmware is not up to date. I have emailed SysOnChip with the sn. I am waiting a reply.
The most annoying thing about this purchase is that I had a perfect working GlobalSat Compact Flash BC-307 at a fraction of the price that I sold to a friend
bebe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: new drivers? Reply with quote

On version 2.08 of the GPS drivers from TomTom, SysOnChip CF plus is present on the list of supported devices.

Has anyone tried this driver and if so, does it solve the lag problem?
tone_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: TT2 2.08 drivers with SOC CF+ Reply with quote

I've been using TomTom Nav2 with the SysOnChip GPS+ running TomTom's GPS drivers v2.08 with no problems for a couple of weeks now.

The only time I've ever suffered a lag or a "jumpy" location was when I was on the move and fired up the GPS before it had got a full 3D fix. As soon as it had aquired a 4 sat fix all was fine.

I put the jumpy location down to TomTom's "feature" of road snapping where it automatically "snaps" your location to the nearest road when you have a narrow gap between parallel roads.

(I'm using the "NMEA 0183v2 4800" and "SysOnChip CF_GPS_receiver" settings in TomTom's driver)
happyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tone_uk

Sad How does your car speedo compare to the reading in tomtom my GlobalSat Compact Flash BC-307 was in time with my speedo only a couple of miles/hour slower the SOC only catches up if I am on the motorway the rest of the time around town its wrong, so much so I’ve disabled it in tomtom
tone_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: GPS vs Car Speedo Reply with quote

Hi happyone

It's normally pretty much spot on (plus or minus 5mph). I think TomTom uses an average speed though as it's not fond of stop/start traffic conditions. I think that's more of a TomTom issue rather than the GPS though.

Tone
Janus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see the only place the SysOnChip can be installed on my Ipaq 3950 is where i have my 256 MB expansion card. Is that correct and if so can I still use the expansion card which contains all my Navman maps when the SysOnChip is installed?

Janus Rolling Eyes
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 256mb Compact Flash Card, then the only way you'll be able to use this and a Compact Flash GPS Receiver would be to change teh 256mb CF card for a 256mb SD card.
DaveC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: What would you buy ? Reply with quote

I wonder if the contributors to this forum can help ?
I would like to add route navigation to my Ipaq 2210 primarily for road use. Navigator II seems like the most popular software in the UK however the choice of GPS receiver is more difficult.

The review of the SysonChip CF unit was impressive however the subsequent feedback regarding delay makes it a less obvious choice.

The Fortuna Xtrack CF unit has dual capability and can be switched between normal sirf II and xtrac allowing you to avoid a lag problem if greater sensitivty is not needed. Has anyone knowledge or experience of this device ?

Alternatively I could decide that xtrac is too new and opt for the Leadtek mouse that can ship with Navigator or a non xtrac CF card.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Sysonchip CF GPS Plus cards £99 each Reply with quote

I would like to offer the Sysonchip GPS Plus cards @ £99 each this includes UK mainland delivery.

I have been in direct contact with the manufacturer, and I can confirm that all units are brand new, and have the latest firmware version. All units come with a 12 month swapout warranty. The majority of this batch (a large number of units) have already been sold with no complaints reported, this sounds like a good recommendation to me. I use mine on a daily basis.

Hoping it's OK to post this offer here.

Please reply here or email sendmartin@hotmail.com if interested.

Thanks,
Noony
stevep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Pockey (SysOnChip) CF Plus GPS Reply with quote

I too am experiencing a serious time lag when using Destinator 2.1.19, or TomTom Navigator 2.24 with GPS driver 2.08 with a GPS CF Plus card.

It is actually branded Pockey but I believe this is identical to, and manufactured by SysOnChip. It will only operate in Destinator with NMEA mode so not sure about SIRF.

Is it possible to update the firmware to correct the lag? There is 1-2 sec lag on a road when travelling at 30mph and about 5 sec after a roundabout / junction.

Any help much appreciated.

There is no serial number or date code marked on the card which was bought on eBay two weeks ago.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: