Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help me pleaseeeee
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me pleaseeeee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splasher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Help me pleaseeeee Reply with quote

Hi, I currently own a Palm Tungsen T.

Do you know which is the best satellite navigation system with this for uk and europe? Can it voice instruct as well? Also is there a speed camera system which run along side what you suggest? Please help me as I am completely confused now by what to buy.

Thanks very much

Splasher
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Help me pleaseeeee Reply with quote

From a hardware perspective there's a lot of GPS Receivers that will work with it now, but from a software perspective there's still a lot that won't. The Palm OS really isn't the best way to go for GPS. You can, but your choices are limited. You've got TomTom RoutePlanner, CityMaps and Mapopolis. None of which will give you speed camera support, RoutePlanner is just a major road map, CityMaps are segmented maps of cities (no routing between). You don't get re-routing with either of these apps. Mapopolis is the closest you'll get to Pocket PC apps, I'm not sure if the Palm version has voice, but the UK maps are still pretty bad with lots of holes in the maps.
Splasher
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave

What would you suggest if you could have anything pocket pc based instead. Also for that matter which pocket pc's. I may have to rethink the whole way I do it now.

Thanks very much

Dave
Dave
Frequent Visitor

From a Pocket PC perspective, a HP iPAQ 2210. This has an SD storage slot and also a Compact Flash storage slot which can also take Compact Flash GPS Receivers. The iPAQ 2210 also comes with Bluetooth which gives you another option for Bluetooth GPS connectivity. You also have the bottom sync (serial port) connector which will allow you to plug a GPS mouse into. This gives a lot of options for hardware.

For software, TomTom Navigator 2, CoPilot Live or even SmartST Pro would all be good options and would give you full re-routing, TTN2 also gives you road block support, and TTN2 and CPL also gives you add-ons for speed cameras.

You'd be looking around £360 for the iPAQ 2210, and depending on which GPS Software and hardware you were going for, you coul dbe looking at £230 upwards for a solution on top of the cost of the Pocket PC. It's not cheap, but it's well worth it when you get there.

For some more info on products, check out our GPS Hardware Reviews, and GPS Software Reviews.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: