Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get my £19 a year as well!, a very fair price to pay for continued use of the database.

Happy new year to everyone. Smile
Paul
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!! Happy New year everyone. I'll be subscribing even though I don't agree with the amount.

PS Darren, I noticed you went back and edited your original reply to me. Just wondering why?

Regards

Just another tightass
gazman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only recently been bought a navman icn 510 for christmas and I was well plesed, I stumbeled across pocketgps and dowloaded the data base a breeze, and for the past week I have been enjoying the forums and the debate that has been going on, all I can say is well done for listening to the forums and keep the good work up, my suggestion is make it a fully fledeged Club, with anual subs people want to belong and by making it a club I think you would get a lot more intrest and you would achive a lot more in the long run, and I think by having it as a club you would have a lot less hassel with all the buissness tax etc stuff you can still employ people but your objective would not be commercial.

Only new just a thought................
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick point whats to stop people just opening up a new website and once they download your database put it somewhere else for everyone else to download free of charge ??
Barsnake
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILLWALLFC wrote:
Just a quick point whats to stop people just opening up a new website and once they download your database put it somewhere else for everyone else to download free of charge ??

COPYRIGHT In A Word
CoPilot Versions
No Room Left On The Daskboard!
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who owns the copyright loads have contributed. All i beleive Pocket GPS is doing is collating the information together.
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILLWALLFC wrote:
But who owns the copyright loads have contributed. All i beleive Pocket GPS is doing is collating the information together.

PGPS will have copyright over the database and possibly the format of the data, not the information within
there is data within the database that would identify it as a pirate copy if someone was to just take all the data and enter it in their own database

Garmin Zumo 390LM
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the state of play re credits and reporting existing cameras that aren't positionally accurate (or direction of use speed limit etc)

Or being able to verify submissions in a major city?

BB
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sounds a LOT more reasonable and thought out than the first anouncement!

Its also giving me the kick up the back side to get round to submitting some locations Embarassed I am sure I wont be alone here.

By my clock I still have 20 minutes to send them to you but trying to plot the locations using Autoroute sucks so have only sent a couple. That and it lets me keep a couple to test using the caputure tool as soon as I get it working on my PDA.

But in about a weeks time my dad will be getting sent here to download the database as I am getting him a Go500 for his Birthday (anywhere cheaper than £299?) and I am sure he will no doubt be happy to subscribe to the site on my recomendation.
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I stopped using the Pocket GPS database around four months ago and to be honest I was not that impressed. However the data may have improved since. It was detecting cameras around 100 yards away from where the actual cameras where. It picked up cameras on both sides of the roads it did not do directional travel.

I would be very wary because once a subscription service starts you can guarantee within three months they will up the prices. They now say they won’t however they always stated the database would be free of charge. If they can now start charging wait till you see what they probably have planned in the future.

I now don’t use the PocketGPS database on my pda as one I have dedicated satellite navigation in my car and also now have a DriveSmart Safety Camera system. DriveSmart also provide you with free updates for life. Maybe with the subscription money you going to pay maybe you should go for a dedicated system known the data will be current.

I honestly cannot believe there is a charge for an inaccurate database that don’t even provide any features like average specs camera speeds etc. I use to always get false alerts and the system cannot be relied upon. It be interesting to see other people opinions of how accurate the system really is and if it is worth paying for?

This was ment to be a community project that allowed you to gain hits to your website if you now don’t have the time to verify all the information why don’t you start another community project, have a website section where new cameras can be identified and you can get people in that area to verify the position. Im sure people drive all over the country and can verify the positions as they drive past. Instead of charging why don’t you ask if people would be prepared to dedicate sometime to the project.
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is well done, every one that sent in cam sites gets life time membership the price seem fair for those that didn't, me being one of them, every once a winner. I now feel that the D/B will not suffer which was my main concern.

Just one thing Darren could you extend the reporting of sites untill my GO is fixed then I will search the countryside till I find one you have not got then giving me life time membership. Failing this can some one check out my post in main forum and offer me some help thankyou.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi millwall the fact that the database wont do averagespeed calulation in specs areas is because when you install the data base you are not installing any software just the position of the cameras and there relative speed if its in the database.

the fact the systen you were using would pick cameras up on oposite the side of the road it down to the software you were using be it tt5's inbuilt poi warning or checkpoint or poiwarner to name a couple the same is applicable for the specs average speeds i recall checkpoint being able to do it and i think (but arent 100% sure) that poi warner did scec average speeds

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barsnake wrote:
MILLWALLFC wrote:

COPYRIGHT In A Word

Websites are one concern, but even the mighty resources of Microsoft cannot prevent their wares from being freely distributed on fileshare and torrent sites.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just logged in after the christmas break - glad to see this on an more positive footing. Smile

Darren - question.

Was that you on BBC News 24 a few days ago in a GPS report?

Chris
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was about gallilleo the most likey it was

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 7 of 44

Jump to: