Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rammo wrote:
Hi Darren

I have been away in Australia (with TomTom of course) since the end of last year, and come back to see all this fuss over the database. I submitted my local Temp Gatso on the M1 roadworks has now been removed (09/03/06) but not received any details back. What is the current turnaround time for my membership to be processed?

Regards,

Paul (Rammo)

Welcome back Paul.

Please follow the membership announcement/instructions on the home page www.PocketGPSWorld.com and we'll have you up and running asap.

Rob
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RespawnUK wrote:
you can even get the locations out of an AA road map for christ sakes... and who goes round updating all the speedcams ? not the site owners that for sure, and in return you give the contributors a 'token download section'.

Those contributors who provided the data get free lifetime membership (see home page). I can only assume that you missed all our announcements and that is why you are angry. If you contributed before our announcement then, of course, you qualify. Did you?

Not sure if you knew, but the team at PocketGPSWorld.com compiled a database of almost 4,500 sites (the majority of the data) before we went live.

The PGPSW team have also contributed a huge amount of additions, changes and removals since the launch - all with the much appreciated help of the community submitters who are now full members.

From another thread:

robbrady wrote:
Thousands of working hours have been spent (and ongoing) obtaining, compiling, collating, validating, editing, formatting, distributing, supporting and improving upon the database.

The database is a compilation of data arranged in a systematic way. We make a qualitatively and quantitatively substantial investment in the collection, assembly, verification, organization and presentation of the contents of the database and a significant investment of human, financial and technical resources.

Alongside the running of a 200,000 page site, which supports up to 1 million visits per month, obviously, this is no easy 'hobby' or 'part-time' task.

It is always easier to be negative than constructive... and hey, everyone likes attention, but I do encourage you to think your response through before posting.

This project has been blessed with good feeling by the vast majority of visitors. Let's make it even better with constructive comments please. Smile
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
It seems to me that the only people complaining are the ones that have never and are not planning on contributing to the database.

... and have the nerve to say that the database is inaccurate, although they can't be bothered to correct that data for the sake of others. Evil or Very Mad

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Rammo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbrady wrote:
Rammo wrote:
Hi Darren

I have been away in Australia (with TomTom of course) since the end of last year, and come back to see all this fuss over the database. I submitted my local Temp Gatso on the M1 roadworks has now been removed (09/03/06) but not received any details back. What is the current turnaround time for my membership to be processed?

Regards,

Paul (Rammo)

Welcome back Paul.

Please follow the membership announcement/instructions on the home page www.PocketGPSWorld.com and we'll have you up and running asap.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Sorry, am I missing something here? I am under the impression that if I had submitted changes (and additions) to the database I qualify for lifetime membership? Why is this not the case?

Regards,

Paul (Rammo)
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rammo wrote:
robbrady wrote:
Rammo wrote:
Hi Darren

Regards,

Paul (Rammo)

Welcome back Paul.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Sorry, am I missing something here? I am under the impression that if I had submitted changes (and additions) to the database I qualify for lifetime membership? Why is this not the case?

Regards,

Paul (Rammo)

Hi Paul,

But it is the case Smile

Delighted to tell you that if you have previously donated cameras or through PayPal you are eligible.

From the front page:
If you have made a donation to PocketGPSWorld.com through PayPal before this announcement we would like to express our thanks by offering you free lifetime membership. Please email donations@pocketgpsworld.com with your username and the email address that you use for your PayPal account and we will set you up with a free membership. Please note that it will take up to 5 working days to confirm your membership.

Your active subscription will be extended free for life if you report just one previously unreported, deleted or altered static speed camera position. (Must consequently be verified by PocketGPSWorld.com.) We monitor all submissions very carefully and you will be notified if we use your submission. If you are successful we will let you know and automatically extend your current membership. You must be a current member and your account must be active to benefit from this offer.

We have sent emails to those who have already submitted data offering free lifetime membership. If you have submitted data, but not received an email, please email dataalreadysubmitted@pocketgpsworld.com with the following information:
User Name
Full Name
Email address used for submission
Camera(s) sent (with email attachment)
Approximate date camera sent

Sorry, but without this information we will not be able to issue a free subscription. Please note that it will take up to 5 working days to confirm your membership. Important: Please note that your confirmation will state that your 'lifetime' membership will expire in 20 years time. This is purely a system limitation. Your subscription will be extended for life.
TerryatHome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Charging for the speed cam database Reply with quote

Making money from the data that people have submitted free of charge is out of order Evil or Very Mad
Have you no morals or what, you have no excuse for charging people for previously freely submitted data full stop.
You can have free downloads if you submit new camera locations, gee whiz is that generous of you or what
I was impressed with your map for people to submit a new camera and put one on the map for you. When I read further about the charges for the database I would have not submitted the location. In fact I think you should not use it as I don't want any free downloads off the backs of good hard working people.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 37 pages do you really think that needed saying? Rolling Eyes
aLLcLoWnSaReeViL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the argument from both sides here.

I do get some people's views that these camera location have been submitted free of charge by users and hence why the hell should anyone be charged for them?!

However, the database and validation of the camera submissions will take time and effort and that should be rewarded too.

My point is this. You've got a great site here. You've just quoted some figures of 200,000 pages and a million visitors a month. If they're true I'd have thought the advertising space alone may be enough to pay for the database upkeep?

Dunno I just liked the idea that the motorist was fighting back for once. Everyone submitted the camera locations FOC and the databse was also FOC. Now it seems corporate somehow. I probably will sign up sometime for a month here and there, I don't mind paying a small fee for something I use occassionally. I reckon £10 a year would have gone down better though and maybe you'd have gotten a lot more subscriptions.

I do see the point, just seems like a spirit of mutual cooperation has been lost somehow.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging for the speed cam database Reply with quote

TerryatHome wrote:
, you have no excuse for charging people for previously freely submitted data full stop.

Not sure if I have understood you Terry. We don't charge people who have previously freely submitted. Can I encourage you to read my 2 posts above.

Have you contributed in the past Terry?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aLLcLoWnSaReeViL wrote:

My point is this. You've got a great site here. You've just quoted some figures of 200,000 pages and a million visitors a month. If they're true I'd have thought the advertising space alone may be enough to pay for the database upkeep? .

A fair, but, alas, incorrect assumption. Many content poor sites can achieve reasonable returns on advertising clickthroughs. Content rich forum sites are at bottom of the pile when it comes to visitors clicking through Sad

Luckily for the advertisers, when adverts are clicked on, the quality of the clickthrough tends to be high. The advertising revenue is welcome of course, but nowhere near enough to run an operation of this scale.

aLLcLoWnSaReeViL wrote:
I do see the point, just seems like a spirit of mutual cooperation has been lost somehow.

I can understand how you may have come to that conclusion, but I'm very pleased to say, that judging by the huge amounts of camera reports we are receiving (and we are expecting increases month on month), that spirit is still alive and well.

All other topics (100's of them) are operating in that spirit.
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aLLcLoWnSaReeViL wrote:
I can see the argument from both sides here.

I do get some people's views that these camera location have been submitted free of charge by users and hence why the hell should anyone be charged for them?!

However, the database and validation of the camera submissions will take time and effort and that should be rewarded too.

My point is this. You've got a great site here. You've just quoted some figures of 200,000 pages and a million visitors a month. If they're true I'd have thought the advertising space alone may be enough to pay for the database upkeep?

Dunno I just liked the idea that the motorist was fighting back for once. Everyone submitted the camera locations FOC and the databse was also FOC. Now it seems corporate somehow. I probably will sign up sometime for a month here and there, I don't mind paying a small fee for something I use occassionally. I reckon £10 a year would have gone down better though and maybe you'd have gotten a lot more subscriptions.

As robrady states above (and all over the forums Smile). If you submit a new fixed camera and it is subsequently verified, then your subscription will be upgraded to free lifetime. All those who have previously submitted cameras (sadly not me) will get the upgrade as a matter of course. To my mind the spirit of mutual co-operation is evidenced by this and is still flourishing

However, if you are only occasionally using the database, then you may find that the occasional £2 monthly subscription is a more acceptable price than the £19 annual.

Just my thoughts on the subject, I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time. :D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
It seems to me that the only people complaining are the ones that have never and are not planning on contributing to the database. Evil or Very Mad

Just for the record, that is not true at all.
I, for one, also felt strongly that the database should remain free for all, but when I said so, it was suggested that if I felt that way I needn't take up my free membership, which I thought was really petty. Evil or Very Mad
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there previously may have been an unfortunate feeling of bad will toward those (and only those) who complained about our need to charge who neither contributed to the site by submitting a camera(s) or voluntarily donating via PayPal.

We of course understand that there will always be those that had all good intentions of contributing, but never got around to it. We're all guilty of letting things pass 'til another day. Some people will commit there and then and some people say they will, but, in fact never do.

The World is made up of many diverse attitudes, opinions and levels of commitment; this is what makes it - and the forums Wink an interesting place to be.
qbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit greedy tho - £19 pa is too much - as i expect will be bourne out in the future when another (properly) free database springs up..

you have done me a favour tho - i'll keep to the speed limits from now on so thanks guys.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a bit greedy tho - £19 pa is too much

If you can afford to tax, insure, fuel, MOT and service a car and buy a GPS system then £19 is nothing to help keep your license clean. I don't expect PocketGPSWorld will be making millions off the back of the charging. Most of it will be eaten in bandwidth charges.

Essentially PGPSW are doing YOU a favour by selling it to you so cheaply. The submitted camera location data doesn't get sorted, verified and added to the database by magic. Neither does it rely on Pixies to transfer it the website. The more people use a free resource the more it costs the person giving it away until that person can't afford to give it away any longer. The charge is reasonable considering what it can save you.

Compare £19 a year to the cost of something like a Road Angel which does the same job but costs something like £2-300 to buy plus £50 a year!!! "£19 pa is too much" some people have no idea....

Finally PGPSW have also said if you are the first to submit a new fixed position camera you will get a free life time membership. Another favour.

If you think it's so easy and cheap to run a free Speed Camera database and give it away, please do so.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 37 of 44

Jump to: