Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orange1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: words of advise Reply with quote

The site owners need to stop behaving like children otherwise by their own actions they drive away the very customers that they seek to keep.

The more manic behaviour you display like deleting posts or being awkward, offering favours to some but not others, the more people will remember that, and forget the years of previous good will and service.

Just a few questions:
Why have a forum if you don’t want people to speak ? Why don’t you delete the forum and just have a FAQ Why have a site at all for that matter. Just sell your Database on Ebay for £2.00 at least you will be undercutting the competition there.

Why are you giving your product away for FREE to lifetime members? Are you crazy? No.1 goal for any business is to make money not give the product away.

Those that want to pay will, and those that don’t won’t. Those that don’t want to pay, will pull every trick in the book to get something for nothing – its human nature. No different to a child who wants his own way and shouts and screams until mum gives in. That’s what you have done, you’ve given in.

You are just making your business model up as you go along. Why are you trying to invent the wheel ? Either pick a business model that works, and then don’t deviate from it. Or if you don’t know how to set the model up, then get some professional help, to help you and at least make you appear professional, It’s painful to see you making such basic mistakes in your business. You are in business now so act that way, set a business model up that works, so you don’t have to. That’s professional business.

If you delete this post then I hope you take the time to read it first and heed the advice which is offered for free ‘coz its Christmas. If you carry on like this you will have no business. You’re obviously caught up in the excitement and not thinking clearly. Either go forwards and charge, but do it professionally like other business’s do, or go backwards to a free community database and find another way to raise money from the site. Either way you should make money. If you can’t make 100k per annum from a site like this with a very high and growing demand product, then you’re no good at business, and I would suggest you get someone in, that is. If your going to give your product away for free – how is that business ?

It never ceases to amaze me that technicians think that because they know the technical part of a business, that it somehow qualifies them to run a business. Well that’s why 1 in 3 businesses fail. In all my business over 30 years I have never done the technical job, and the technicians who left me along the way and set up themselves, ended up working twice the hours they used to, for half of the pay and 10 times more stress and pressure . Every one, bar a few excepting have asked to come back.

Good luck
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH!!.
Well consider yourselves TOLD!!.
He has many valid points though, eh.
dx7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Smugness and/or greed? Reply with quote

Like another poster, I live in an area where there have been no new cameras to post, so how could I have gained "free life membership" even if I wanted to?

The idea of divide and conquer has worked very well, because those who complained AND contributed to the database have been "included", and those others like me are "excluded", a very clever but cynical ploy!

It shows how easily "bought" some people are, doesn't it?
Principle doesn't matter, or right.

A typical nimby-type response from those who no longer have to pay.

I know conscience is an old fashioned word, something many laugh about in this enlightened age, but as I said in the subject line, it reeks of greed and smug cynicysm to me.
terrierman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive no problem paying for a good sevice but your files are so easy to pass around for free or sold on ebay for more than you are charging so the ebay idea is a good one as you can use your copyright of this forum to
to stop any rouge traders cashing in on your great product good luck and keep up the good work :D
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
People who have already contributed (the inner circle as BunnyBalerina said) can now (if they wish) sit back (even if they have only contributed 1 camera location), while new members do the update work and also pay for it.

Dave

As if!!!! Why on earth would those with free membership leave all the work up to those who pay??? For cryin out loud! It's in everyone's best interests that all contribute.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
Quote:
As if!!!! Why on earth would those with free membership leave all the work up to those who pay??? For cryin out loud! It's in everyone's best interests that all contribute.

The point was that anyone who has contributed has life membership and won't be doing any more than a new member but the new member will be paying for it. There are only so many static cameras and they aren't changing that often. The payment scheme should have been actioned for membership of the site and not for the download of the database, that's what caused all the bad feeling. My feeling is that the database membership is too high, look at the numbers in my last post. When I brought this to Darrens attention he said that he would not reveal numbers of people using the database for commercial reasons, then went back later and added more comments to his reply saying that we would see if the database took even a fraction of that. That started the bells ringing for me.

Dave
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[rant]
I think that we are all missing the point; the website needs supporting to enable it to survive and grow. Darren et al have decided that the best way to do this is to charge for access to their main asset, the database.

I contribute to anohter forum, modaco, and they have a structure where people can, or not as the case may be, support the site (via subscription) and then get access to certain areas only. They did this successfully without the draw of a database (they gave priority admission to events, discounts on things etc).

If PGPSW had made this distinction from the beginning they could have saved some heartache. They should have bene honest from the start and said that they needed a person full time to take workload off of them; this would have gained support.

Now, effectively, they are asking for £20 for a database that is not as good as its competitors (albeit cheaper). Whilst I would support the site I will not pay £20 for a database which is not as accurate as its competitors (RoadAngel for one) nor updated in any reasonable time frame. I would rather pay £48 for the roadangel one.
[/rant]
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pip510 wrote:
I have a question that I hope one of the GPS team can assist with.
I submiited some camera locations in october/november and I have just downloaded the website update for december.
I have seen that one of the camera's has been added but another has not.
I have not had chance to verify the other camera's as yet that I have submitted.
My point is why is one camera added and another is not?
All the camera locations I submitted are true ones and verifiable on South Yorks Police's Website.

Could I please have an answer to this thread please??
I know its not critical but i does raise a few questions for myself.
If the camera locations that I have submitted not been recognised then why not and if they have, why have they not been posted on the new database. I am sure that You have read my earlier posting as I saw that both Darren and a Mod have posted afterwards. I am not adverse to the idea of paying for the database but obviously this issue gives some concerns to myself as to the submissions of camera locations.

Let's Be Safe Out There
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Quote:

The point was that anyone who has contributed has life membership and won't be doing any more than a new member but the new member will be paying for it. There are only so many static cameras and they aren't changing that often. The payment scheme should have been actioned for membership of the site and not for the download of the database, that's what caused all the bad feeling. My feeling is that the database membership is too high, look at the numbers in my last post. When I brought this to Darrens attention he said that he would not reveal numbers of people using the database for commercial reasons, then went back later and added more comments to his reply saying that we would see if the database took even a fraction of that. That started the bells ringing for me.

Dave

I was critical of the original charge for the d/b as I, along with many others, felt that it was unfair to collect all this info and then whack a charge on it all of a sudden. Yes, I have been fortunate that I will be one of the ones with free membership, however I will point out again that as of this moment, anyone new who contributes to the d/b will do it in the full knowledge that they are going to have to pay for the download. They cannot therefore complain (as we did) that this was not a known quantity when offering the info to PGPSW.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
Quote:
I will point out again that as of this moment, anyone new who contributes to the d/b will do it in the full knowledge that they are going to have to pay for the download. They cannot therefore complain (as we did) that this was not a known quantity when offering the info to PGPSW.

It's interesting that people on the opposite sides of the fence see the same things in different ways eh!! After I have contributed as much as you have to the database shouldn't I be offered the same priviledges? Known quantity or not does it make it right?

Dave
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave[/quote]
...however I will point out again that as of this moment, anyone new who contributes to the d/b will do it in the full knowledge that they are going to have to pay for the download. They cannot therefore complain (as we did) that this was not a known quantity when offering the info to PGPSW.[/quote]

PGPS cannot have it both ways. If it is charging for the db then it has to pay a decent rate for receiving the data.

But if people decide they want to contribute under the new regime then that is their lookout.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Quote:
I will point out again that as of this moment, anyone new who contributes to the d/b will do it in the full knowledge that they are going to have to pay for the download. They cannot therefore complain (as we did) that this was not a known quantity when offering the info to PGPSW.

It's interesting that people on the opposite sides of the fence see the same things in different ways eh!! After I have contributed as much as you have to the database shouldn't I be offered the same priviledges? Known quantity or not does it make it right?

Dave

When did you contribute? Was it before or after the 'change'? If it was before then you've got a free membership. If it was after, then you go into it eyes wide open. What's the problem? You have a choice, as did we all.

The only difference is that we contributed at a time when we thought the thing was always going to be free - this was promised to us in previous postings. That promise has now been broken but, after a long and vocal debate, we have now been given it for free which recognises the contributions by us all.

I notice that you've been a member for over a year - why did you not contribute as well? (Unless of course you did not come across any new cameras).
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
Quote:
I notice that you've been a member for over a year - why did you not contribute as well? (Unless of course you did not come across any new cameras).

I have only started using the database in ernest recently and all the cameras I know of in my area are already in the database so what would be the point of me submitting them again? As I have said in previous posts, the fee should have been for membership and not for the database. Quite a number of other people also said this. This would have negated all the bed feeling in the first place. If you were working next to someone doing the same job for less money you would understandably be less than pleased whether you knew about it before or not.

Dave
Aelfwine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Wow! And a Merry Christmas to you! Reply with quote

I leave for my Christmas Holiday and your Database is free, I come back and you are now charging for it !!

I am just back from a two week holiday in Scotland, I bought TOMTOM Navigator 5 just before Christmas and the company I purchased it from linked to your site so I put your Free Speed Camera Database on for the journey.

In the last two weeks I have clocked up over a thousand miles between England and Scotland and I can tell you Scotland are very keen on Speed Cameras so as you can imagine I have had a chance to check the Database out.

I found three camera's not on your database and used the POI Capture to record them (although I think only two did get recorded as POI Capture crashed the first time I used it), several of the fixed cameras on the Database are marked on the wrong side of the road but that's okay, I can live with that. Some fixed camera's were not there anymore but there is no way of telling you changes to the database???

I was so impressed that I intended to submit the new cameras and send you a donation for your developing work as soon as I got back. So keen was I that I have logged onto your site tonight, hours after getting back from Scotland to do this but after reading your new charges I am having second thougths, to think that if I did this a week earlier I would have had a lifetime updates for free?? now I will have to pay £19 a year, not a lot I know and its not the price, its the principle that what was free last week isn't anymore, especially as we, the users, have given you most of the data for your database!

Not a good move me thinks...
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points. My decision is that I will pay for the PGPSW database as would not trust the integrity of the same file from elsewhere. I have never contributed, nor likely to at any time soon as my travel is both limited and repetitive. So arguably, as a “freerider” I should pay someone for the database. To keep the regular contributions active, I think a monthly list should be posted of contributors (with their prior consent) in recognition for their effort, for which I and surely many others are grateful for. However, I can see how remote this is now the haggling over data ownership has arisen. I regularly update four other devices for less capable friends, of course at no cost. So do you intend to introduce a M$ style multi device licence, or do you expect me to buy several individual licences Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 13 of 44

Jump to: