Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 30 min to calculate 750 km itinerary?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

30 min to calculate 750 km itinerary?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: 30 min to calculate 750 km itinerary? Reply with quote

If anyone experienced would care to comment:

after upgrading to TT Nav 5 version 5.2 yesterday the system takes a very long time to calculate itineraries.

- I'm new to this so may not be aware of what's 'normal' (no mention of this in manual etc.) but should it take 20 min+ to calculate a 750 km itinerary (Geneva to north of Cologne Germany). Takes forever - very slowly counting down the kilometers etc.

- Is there something I'm missing, some kind of setting?

thanks a lot

Rudi Tangermann

PS: my problem of hung PDA every time when deviating from calculated route, with version 5.04 of the software and Tungsten E2, disappeared after loading version 5.2
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a different brand of SD card, this is having a big impact on calculation speed.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a user of both TomTom 5 and Copilot 6, I have always been disappointed by the time TT 5 takes to calculate routes. Copilot will calculate a 400-mile route from South Lincolnshire to Aberdeen, UK in less than a second, while TT 5 takes almost 4 minutes with my existing hardware.

Lutz mentioned that a faster storage card should help. Does anyone know roughly how quickly TT 5 would calculate my 400-mile journey with the fastest cards, and what speed card would that be?
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the time on my GO, and from the Centre of Spalding to the Centre of Aberdeen, 451 miles, took 12 secs.

I usually go for the High Speed SD Cards.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Thank you for your reply.

I have to confess to giving incomplete and rather misleading information. First, I didn't mention that I was working in Shortest routing. Second, I failed to mention that there was a toll charge in the shortest route, which I opted to avoid - thus effectively doubling the calculation time. Using Fastest routing, there was no toll charge and the calculation time was about 30 seconds.

This still probably represents the difference between an acceptable delay and an intolerable one under many circumstances, but I'd be grateful if you could say what the calculation time for yours is for Shortest routing.

When you say "faster" SD cards, could I ask what speed rating you actually mean, please.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine are 60x or 66x.

PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Thank you for your trouble. When I find out what my various SD card's own ratings are (yes, I realise I should already know), I will be in a position to seek out some better ones.

Just one point if I may: I have been told that because the TomTom Go models run under a dedicated OS rather Windows CE or similar, they run TT 5 significantly faster than your average PPC. Do you, or others, know how much truth there is in this, please?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
I just checked the time on my GO, and from the Centre of Spalding to the Centre of Aberdeen, 451 miles, took 12 secs.

I usually go for the High Speed SD Cards.

Advance planning, fastest route took 39 sec to calculate on my Vario with a 60x card no other apps running.
A dedicated device and a difference in processor speeds will also have a bearing on test results.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mullet. You wrote:

Quote:
Advance planning, fastest route took 39 sec to calculate on my Vario with a 60x card no other apps running.

Calculating the same route on my Dell Axim X50v took 50 secs. The SD card was a Pure Media 1Gb card for which I can't find the manufacturer's claimed speed rating.

Although my calculation time was 28% longer than Mullet's, I'm now wondering if the cost of a new card would be worth it. Mullet's time is still over three times as long as OldBoy's TomTom Go, and still long enough to leave me feeling as if I'm having to hang around waiting for the calculation, very much as I already do. Having said that, I suppose, as Mullet and I are not using identical PPCs, it's just possible I that a 60x SD card might bring me closer to the 12 secs quoted by OldBoy.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I have to confess to giving incomplete and rather misleading information. First, I didn't mention that I was working in Shortest routing. Second, I failed to mention that there was a toll charge in the shortest route, which I opted to avoid - thus effectively doubling the calculation time. Using Fastest routing, there was no toll charge and the calculation time was about 30 seconds.

Using Shortest, then asking to avoid Charge Area took a total of 2m 7s.

PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Richard and Mullet.

All of this has led me to purchase Pocket Mechanic, a utility that tests for factors such as read and write speeds. It gives the Pure Media card that I use for TomTom 5 a benchmark of just under 5x. This is startlingly lowcompared with the 60x quoted by Richard and Mullet. Does anyone know if Pocket Mechanic gives a 60x benchmark to a 60x card or, does that also depend on the PPC used for the test, please?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS The Pocket Mechanic benchmark I quote above for my Pure Media SD card is for reading, not writing.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now ordered a 60x card and am looking forward to seeing the results. I have also found the following thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23491&highlight=mechanic

Through that thread, Dunos has attempted to set up a database answering the sort questions about speed benchmarks that I have raised above.

Having said all this, Richard's (Oldie) results show that under some circumstances even a fast card and a TomTom Go unit will leave users twiddling their thumbs while the route is calculated.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Thanks to Richard and Mullet.

All of this has led me to purchase Pocket Mechanic, a utility that tests for factors such as read and write speeds. It gives the Pure Media card that I use for TomTom 5 a benchmark of just under 5x. This is startlingly lowcompared with the 60x quoted by Richard and Mullet. Does anyone know if Pocket Mechanic gives a 60x benchmark to a 60x card or, does that also depend on the PPC used for the test, please?

I wouldnt expect to see these high transfer rates. The quoted card rate is nothing more than a theoretical optimum indication of the card only. The interface between the device and card is also under test here. Example compare the result in a USB 1.1 then a USB 2 card reader, same card such different results. Many digital cameras max out and beyond a level cannot take full advantage of these ultra fast cards. If you look at the test results posted, the result you got is quite respectable though not the fastest.
Just tried the PMech demo myself to give you an indication and the result came back at 5.6x for my 60x MSD card (6.5x after running the defrag utiliity).
Remember also, a standalone GO will have far less overheads sucking resources than a PPC device.
Though a spare card would always have a place, I wouldnt want you to waste £ in anticipation.

Just calculated the same route as above in shortest to avoid toll and took 3min 54 sec. Takes me longer to find my keys. Laughing
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Mullet. It sounds as if any gain I get is going to be pretty marginal. As you say, though, SD cards are useful to have.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: