Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Nav 5 hangs when deviating from route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Nav 5 hangs when deviating from route
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 'hard reset' of the Tungsten E2 - following someone else's suggestion - and tried it for just a short trip before going on a trip abroad - no problems at that time, that seems to have improved the situation.

Will test it more when coming back, but so far this manouevre may have helped the situation.
ndy4eva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some response from TomTom Support

==============================================
Response 10/01/2006 09.31 PM
Dear Mr lee,

I was sent thhis information to pass on. He says that you do not require 5mb of free "dynamic heap". The resources that come on your T5 are enough to run TTN5 without problems.

Could you please tell me what the read speed on your SD card is?

"When using SD cards, please bear in mind that the reading speed should be at least 10MB/second, because the map data continuously will be read from the card. The card writing speed is not important in this sense, because the application is not going to write on the card as for instance would be the case with a digital camera. Please also bear in mind that the writing speed specification “45x speed” means that the reading – respectively writing speed of the card is 45x150Kb/s and that is why it is only 6,75 MB/sec (60x speed means 60x150Kb/s and this is 9,00 MB/sec.). Please ask your reseller for more information about whether the speed indication is about reading or writing speed of the card."

Thank you

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Response 11/01/2006 09.40 PM
Dear Mr lee,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I had another discussion with a technical representative, he says that read speed is the most important thing with the SD cards. He says that the lower the read speed the more likely that it freezes and operates very slowly. I was told that you will continue with freezing problems while using a card with the slower read speed. I hope this answers your problem.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Response 24/01/2006 04.46 PM
Dear Mr. Lee,

I am sending this response in regards to your e-mail set to our office dated December29th.

As you are aware, the amount of free Dynamic Heap memory is determined by the amount of applications you have running in the background. Therefore programs such as interface changers and mp3 players will in fact limit the space required for Navigator to run effortlessly.

Using only the programs initially installed on the Palm T5, TomTom Navigator 5 will work without incident. TomTom tests numerous software combinations to ensure reliable navigation, however the combinations are endless therefore we can only guarantee stable usability with the device itself.

I have looked into alternatives for your situation assuming that you would like to keep the additional programs installed on your T5. I have heard of positive feedback from a small program which increases Dynamic Memory Heap on the T5 (by using storage space as Dynamic Memory). This is an independent program and TomTom can not take any responsibility for the use of this product. That being said, there have been forum postings regarding this software and its use. The program is called UDMH and can be found at http://palmpowerups.com.

In regards to the error message (Free DB Cache Memory Too Small / Not enough free DB Cache Memory to run this application). This could also be generated due to a combination of 3rd party programs. Many of our customers using Palm have not experienced this issue. Our test team and developers are currently looking into this trying to pinpoint the cause. As a temporary measure may I suggest re-installing version 5.12 on your device. I have attached the installer in this e-mail for your use.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any additional questions that may arise.

Best Regards,
TomTom Customer Support Team

Response 30/01/2006 05.53 PM
Dear Mr. Lee,

Many Palm T5 users are using Navigator 5 without reporting the errors that you are experiencing, I being one of them. The T5 and TomTom Navigator 5 combination has been tested thoroughly from our firm. The fact that you are experiencing issues with just one map leads me to believe that it could be caused by either POI’s or settings set in that specific map file. You have ensured us that you have no POI’s installed in the map folder therefore I suggest the following…

Settings information (favorites, home address, etc) are stored in a file that is found in the map folder. It has the same name as the map with the extension .cfg. Please remove this file from your map folder and then start Navigator 5 on your Palm. (Prior to changing anything on your SD card we advise you to make a backup onto your PC). We would also like to suggest that you select the home button, then select "All" from the pull down menu on the upper right hand side of your screen. From there you should be able to see a program called "Files". Open this program and select the "internal" icon on the top right. This will display a list of folders. Could you please send us the list of folders on this screen. This will help us in assisting you further.

If removing the .cfg file did not resolve your issue, then we advise that you begin to review the software combinations installed on your Palm. Programs such as Interface changers in principle, can retain memory. Therefore limited memory resources would be available for Navigator 5. In order to effectively troubleshoot memory issues we advise performing a hard reset of your Palm while the SD card is out of the device. Please be aware that performing a hard reset will erase all of your data therefore having a back-up of your current data is important before the hard reset. Once the hard reset is complete, place the Navigator 5 SD card into the Palm and start Navigator 5. If you still experience issues, then we suggest that you send us a list of all files installed in your map folder (and their details) to us for review. If however Navigator 5 works, which is what we expect, then begin to install your additional software packages one by one, testing Navigator 5 between installations. This will allow you to determine which program is causing the memory disturbance.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any additional questions that may arise.

Best Regards,
TomTom Customer Support Team
ndy4eva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I fixed the issue.... but it came back.. not so bad as it used to but still I have same issue with my palm... argh!!!!
Katarzyna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did sombody try the UDMH program together with TomTom5 on T5 or similar Palm mutation?
ndy4eva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually tried UDMH. It caused memorymgr fatal error. Sad
Katarzyna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it means that for the time being there is no good solution for TomTom5 on Tungsten 5 (and similar platforms). Sad

Katarzyna
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you guys tell me what maps and what SD-cards you are using? I have my own issues with TTN 5 and a Tungsten T5...
ndy4eva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Silav101,
I use Canada Map v644, SanDisk UltraII 1GB SD card.
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...

The typical cause of a freeze is a slow SD-card, or enabled POI's, so you could check those. Your SD-card should be fast enough (though I seriously, seriously doubt any solidstate memory media can transfer 10 MegaBYTES per sec. :-) ) so it can't be that anymore...try disabling your poi's and see if that makes a difference.

Also, on the T5 main menu:

Files - Internal Memory - Remove the folders named TomTom and Palm, if they're in internal memory. This could necessitate a re-install, but if you installed TTN5 onto your SD-card, this is just as simple as removing and replacing the SD-card. :-)
losty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently also purchased TT Nav 5 to run on my Tungsten T5 and have also experienced the problems mentioned here. My T5 has no unusual software installed.

Nav 5 hangs from time to time. It occurs primarily when deviating from the set route particularly when the there is a complex junction where the exit, for instance runs beside the main route and then perhaps crosses over as a bridge or underpass. The software seems to think you have taken one route starts to calculate a new map and then realises you are still on the old route and just hangs.

Similary it has occured when the map does not match the roads either due to a mapping error or change in road layout - it just gives up.

This suggests very strongly to me that it is a software problem with Navigator 5 (at least the Palm version).

The response from Tom Tom regarding SD card speed doesn't seem very helpful since the software was provided on an SD card from Tom Tom.

As for POI - that's one of the main reason's for having the navigator - if there's a problem then they should fix it in the software not suggest unistalling of POI.

Additionally Nav 5 produces Fatal Alerts on starting perhaps 1 in 20 or 30 times requiring a reset.

It's not bad enough to be a serious problem but it is not really acceptable for a fairly expensive piece of kit especially when it hangs just at the point when you need to know where to go.

Losty
zippa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess no one did solve this issue... Why TomTom Hand om Palm (T5)

Can It be true that we need and ULTRA (10mb/s) card?

//Tobias
Big-bill3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: TTN5 for Palm Crashing Reply with quote

I have TTN 5.201 loaded on my Tungsten T5. The software is loaded on the SD card
It is prone to crashing. I have deleted all POIs except my own Churches POI (generated myself in TTN5); Hotels which i think came with TTN5 and Pocketgps_uk_sc
i have 51mb spare on the device; 157 mb spare on the internal card and 372 mb spare on the SD card

Ideas?
ndy4eva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear same problem over again... Unless TomTom fixes their issues with Palm version of Navigator, there isn't any good solution.
tjphilpot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using TTN 5.201 on a Treo 650. I've had it for about a week and it locked up on me for the first time today while deviating from a route. Of course, I had AeroPlayer running in the background, and I had just received a phone call, so I'm sure I chewed through quite a bit of dynamic RAM. I'm also running on a plain jane 1x SD Card. I guess running AeroPlayer while navigating is not the best idea.
MinMePc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I am also having lock up issuse, but i use Acer n35 running window mobile.
Mine crashes randomly quite reguler, but sometimes it dosn't crash at all.

I have TT-V5.210 a 60x sd card.

After reading through this tread i'm guessing its also a memory problem so i'm wondering if there are any programs like rLocker to help me out.

I'v now just dissabled POI's apart from speed-cams and will try it at work later.

Maybe im in the wrong thread as this is for Palm OS.

Peace[/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: