Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Nav 5 hangs when deviating from route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Nav 5 hangs when deviating from route
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: TomTom Nav 5 hangs when deviating from route Reply with quote

Hi -

- can someone comment / help - I tried out a new TT Nav 5 system with my Tungsten E2 today here in the Geneva area, and was amazed at how well things worked initially (first experience with SatNav system).

- However - the system 'hung' - with PDA display totally frozen, need for lengthy reset - 5 or 6 times - every time when we - accidentally or then intentionally - deviated from the route suggested by the navigator.

- I saw mention of 'hang-ups' in this forum but not of something so 'systematic' as this problem which seems to result from any kind of 'deviation from the right path'.

- Is there something obvious I'm doind wrong - anyone with an idea of why this could happen or what I could do about it?

thanks

Rtang
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version are you running?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
rtang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
What version are you running?

version 5.040!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to upgrade to version 5.201 (from the TomTom web site)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
rtang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the hint - I just did upgrade and will go on a drive tomorrow to check if this solved the problem.

I'd be curious to know though if you are aware of anyone else with that problem? Some kind of bug in or incompatibility with the earlier version of the software?

thanks again,

R Tangermann
ndy4eva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar freeze (hang-up) issue during rerouting.
Do you mind downloading rLocker from Resco and give me your ram information?

http://www.resco.net/palm/locker/default.asp

Also, the free ram from TomTom's version information page? I think TTN5 locks/freezes when it doesn't have enough ram (dynamic heap) memory.
rtang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. I am really just using these things, or trying to, and so do not fully understand the background of what can be done with this 'locking' application. I downloaded it - then what, should one 'lock' the TOMTOM start application? that's the only TT-related option I see in the list given by rlocker.

I have not used this PDA much yet - so do not have a lot of additional applications; using FileZ I see that the size of Free RAM is is 23 175 168 bytes. Sounds a lot right? Why would that not be enough for the TomTom application to work?

thanks again,

RT
rtang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your earlier postings on this and your experience sounds similar to mine. -

I am using a Tungsten E2.

I now checked what is called 'free RAM' on the version information page, that is after loading the application - and it says '0.7 mb' - why is that so much less than the 'free RAM' reported overall?

The map I have on the SD card is the large Germany-Suisse-Austria- Chech Rep. - Poland map, something like 420 MB.

Still wondering if understand you correctly - are you saying that with this other utility - Resco etc. - one can actually improve this situation - does 'locking' applications with it mean there will be MORE dynamic RAM?

I wish I would understand more about what all of these actually mean..
ndy4eva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resco Locker does not help you with TomTom issue. It stablizes the other background applications (i.e. pTunes, Fonts4OS5, etc).

Resco Locker give you the information regarding your Palm's exact dynamic heap memory size. (just hit menu and Ram Info). You said that you have TE2, that means you have 6MB dynamic heap.

The Free Ram reported by FileZ and other Palm standard App is the free storage ram space, not dynamic heap ram. And TomTom reports the dynamic heap memory. that's why there's difference.

Anyhow, if you have about .7mb you shouldn't have much issue. I found that if you have about 1mb of free dynamic heap, tomtom runs stable.

I'm not getting much answers from TomTom Evil or Very Mad . It's quite annoying. argh!!!
rtang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for explanations. I had sent some earlier e-mails to higher-ups in Tom Tom Holland, also to the German chain MediaMarkt where I bought this - and they have been QUITE responsive, at least the technical MediaMarkt people. Lets see if I get similar response from the TomTom people.

The main press person at TomTom is scott.johnston@tomtom.com, and the main technical guy is Harold.Goddijn@tomtom.com; other leading people are Corinne.Vigreux@tomtom.com, Peter.Pauwels@tomtom.com, in case you want to write to them also.

thanks for help again

Rudi Tangermann, Geneva
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtang wrote:
main technical guy is Harold.Goddijn@tomtom.com

Ha funny... Harold is the CEO. Pieter is the main technical guy.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
rtang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so Pieter should know... I do agree though that the quality of technical support I have received so far (short e-mail, not really responding to my query; maybe because of christmas etc.) seems rather 'European', not like some North American companies (LINKSYS, others - who you can call anytime).

- My Tungsten still crashes every other time when TT Nav 5 is forced to re-calculate. I HAVE asked TomTom to comment, no response so far; as amazing as the system is, in general, it won't be much use if it keeps crashing.[/u]
ndy4eva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I just sent a long email to Peter. I cross my fingers to get some resolution for this. Rolling Eyes
Katarzyna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

I just read you posts and have similar problem you described.
I use TT5 and Tungsten 5. Unfortunately when the program has to reroute my palm locks up. I tried to get rid from some applications like zlauncher and piloc but the situation is only bit beter.

Unfortunately in most cases my palm still locks up when trying to reroute.
Did you find some solution to this problem

I will be very garteful for any hint

Best Regards

Katarzyna
cfalz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't offer much because I've just been using TomTomNav for a week. However, I've purposely deviated my route frequently just to see how it dealt with it. No problems. It did freeze once but it was on a straightway with no deviations. I don't know why it froze and so far has not happened again. Since my Pam Zire 72 periodically needs resets or has other quirks, it may have been more of a Palm thing than a TTN5 thing.

I've actually done a good job of trying to confuse the TTN5 by driving in rural areas and onto dirt roads that I would not really expect to show up (a forest road for instance rather than a real county road of any kind). Sometimes the map spins around until it settles on where I am but it's done great, no freezing there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: