Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim x51v tt5.21 and Haicom III
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim x51v tt5.21 and Haicom III
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK for those interested in this failure i have some more to report. No answers or solutions yet i'm afraid but maybe a better in sight.

Following this grueling problem further testing was conducted back to back with and HP 2210.

My set up is Axim X51v (Rom version A01) only 7days old. Paired with compact flash GPS Haicom receiver Hi-303III and TomTom 5.

Now i cannot get TT to accept use of the CF card which has forced me to do this investigation. I have set up other software on the Dell PDA for this testing namely Microsoft Pocket Streets, Haicoms GPS test utility, Winfast Navigator and old TT ver 3 GPS utility.

What i have established is that the compact flash will work when set up corectly which for my Haicom is CF_Comp_GE nmea and 4800. However, once you have a fix in any of these programs if you manually switch of the GPS, which is allowed in the software, it WILL NOT re open the port successfully without a soft reset of the Haicom unit (removing and reinserting). It kills the port with the error message about no data from the port.

Now to the problem with TomTom, because in version 5 you no longer have the option to turn of the GPS and on manually, i think somehow they are switching off the port momentarily which in effect kills the functionality of the port.

I have tested and repeated this hundreds of times on my new Axim so i know its right.

For a back to back trial i tried the same tests with a HP2210 with the same GPS device. This is however running windows 2003. This will allow switching on and off of the ports in any of the above programmes and will reconnect without removing the CF GPS.

Now what i dont know is whether this is a WM5 problem or a problem with the Dell, i dont have another PDA thats not a Dell thats running WM5 to test the theory with. Would be nice to test this with a HP thats running WM5. Conversely it would also be nice to test this on the Dell with the 2003 software to see if it cures it.

Apparently i can update the firmware / operating system to version A04 owever seeing as this is my first PDA i am somewhat reluctant to start messing to this level not knowing what it will do.

Regards

Mav
baklja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: DELL Axim X51V CF GPS problems Reply with quote

Hi,

The Dell Axim X51V has problems with CF and SD cards, the problem is in cards that have constant feed of data to the device. The Update is expected for month now, and hoping they will get make it soon... check Dell site.

If u want to use it as a GPS, buy a bluetooth GPS and with that u wont have problems.

Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DELL Axim X51V CF GPS problems Reply with quote

baklja wrote:
Hi,

The Dell Axim X51V has problems with CF and SD cards, the problem is in cards that have constant feed of data to the device. The Update is expected for month now, and hoping they will get make it soon... check Dell site.

If u want to use it as a GPS, buy a bluetooth GPS and with that u wont have problems.

Update has been released ROM version A06 but still dont work.

I also think there is a programme issue with TOMTOM because of it needing to be in the background!

Cheers

Mav
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No help with your situation but I can confirm that TT5 with 305III in iPaq 3660 PC2002 works solid as a rock. Can take upto 120 secs to get lock but otherwise works a dream in the car.

So your problem can only be one of incompatibilty of TT5 or GPS unit with a) your hardware or b) operating system (or both if you are really unlucky).

phil
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
a) your hardware or b) operating system (or both if you are really unlucky).

phil

Yep we worked that out cos we tested the unit in an IPAQ running WM2003 without a problem.

Cheers

Mav
ByteX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not entirely an TomTom issue, I get a lot of failed/chopped/scrambled and missing NMEA strings at first port open, when i try to reopen the port it fails.

TomTom probably uses multiple nmea messages to better predict position in relation to road data, and since most of the messages is incomplete or missing it will not show anything. And if it tries to reopen the port due to to much errors the port fails.

Dell has some serious issues to fix with the CFIO interface.
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ByteX wrote:
This is not entirely an TomTom issue, I get a lot of failed/chopped/scrambled and missing NMEA strings at first port open, when i try to reopen the port it fails.

Agreed, i have reported this to Dell even had the senior technicians email address. Sent hima field report on the subject complete with screen dumps.

Quote:

TomTom probably uses multiple nmea messages to better predict position in relation to road data, and since most of the messages is incomplete or missing it will not show anything. And if it tries to reopen the port due to to much errors the port fails.

Yes i guessed they are doing something like opening and closing the port, however i question whether its necessary. Using other GPS software (MS pocket streets) u get a lock in seconds and a fix and position on the map in another two. If they can do it without polling the port then so can TT.

Cheers

Mav
Becky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a similar problem with my Axim 51 using the Dell navigation software and a CF GPS (bought on e-bay with no manufacturer's name apparent). I thought it must be the card but I tried the resetting the Axim with it plugged in and now it works fine! 8)
Only problem is it locks up when the power saver dims my screen and this also makes everything else on the Axim work at snails pace but I've got around this by turning off the power saver and keeping it plugged in the cigarette lighter socket the whole time.
I have wondered about trying the ROM update thing but I'm a bit worried about damaging the Axim because I've only got it recently after my Axim X50 died following a period of immersion in vegetable soup (don't ask).
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnboy290 wrote:

I gather your CF GPS was/is SIRF III. Would you recommend the Haimcom SIRF III units?

Was (now returned) Sirf III as is the new BT device. As far as Sirf III yes no problem. TT WM5 and the Axim compatibility obviously needs resolving.

Cheers

Mav
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem....

I bought 2 Axim X51 last week, installed TTN5 (and updated them to V5.21).

Now I had 2 Axim X5 running TTN3 using CF GPS (Holux GM-270 & SysOnChip Plus) and both have worked fine for a couple of years. I upgraded the Axim X5 to TTN5 and both still worked fine (but will say an old Fortuna CF GPS wouldn't work, did with TTN3).

I then bought the Axim X51 and installed TTN5, but only the SysOnChip Plus CF GPS would work, the Holux one won't. So I bought a new SysOn Plus II CF GPS from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk on Monday. I received this yesterday, but didn't work either the Yellow / Blue icon spins for a few seconds and then 'No GPS device'. I contacted globalpositioningsystems.co.uk who adviced it won't work on a Axim X51. So sent it back and bought a Haicom HI-303III, that arrived today and the samething happens.

I'm on to globalpositioningsystems.co.uk who seem to think that Haicom should work with an Axim X51.

I can't fault globalpositioningsystems.co.uk I had no problems with returning the SysOn Plus II, they are doing there best to help and the 2 orders arrived on time. I'd recommend buying from them, just can't recommend a Dell Axim X51 to anyone wanting to use a CF GPS.

Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chorlie wrote:
I
I can't fault globalpositioningsystems.co.uk I had no problems with returning the SysOn Plus II, they are doing there best to help and the 2 orders arrived on time. I'd recommend buying from them, just can't recommend a Dell Axim X51 to anyone wanting to use a CF GPS.

I tell you what, if that was my company i would be well . I have reported this issue to them back in January, telling them clearly that the Axim X51 is not compatible with Haicom and TT5.

They should advise their people to stop selling this equipment. Actually im quite annoyed at this because all though they refunded my money by the time i got a replcement unit the cost of sending back the device and ordering new cost me another 12 quid because of their bad advice. Potentially this is still going to happen to new customers if they continue to sell the device.

VERY POOR SERVICE

Regards

Mav
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mav.

Well my has gone back today for a refund.

What are you using now? did you ever get a CF GPS working with the X51?

Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chorlie wrote:
Hi Mav.

Well my has gone back today for a refund.

What are you using now? did you ever get a CF GPS working with the X51?

No never got a CF unit to work propoerly, only got it semi working, however dont have endless supplies of other CF to try out. I rpelaced mine with a Blutooth GPS 236.

Cheers

Mav
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got a Dell X51v for my birthday the other day. I also have a Haicom 305III CF GPS card. This was working fine with my old iPaq 3660.
The X51v is Rom version A06 and runs WM5

So I installed my three 'navigational' programs (OK two are topo programs - no navigation).

OziExplorerCE: Worked a charm - but you do need to remove and re-insert the GPS unit after switching off.

TomTom5 (5.21) Can't see the GPS. It can see the port but no spinning disc.

Pocket Anquet 6 Still a bit of a disaster here. Can't tell if it works or not as the s/w doesn't seem to know what to do with a 480*640 screen. Everything is crunched up and you can't select or enter anything on the screen. So much for writing stuff in .NET V2!!

I also get a message each time I start the the X51v up with the GPS card in - after a few seconds I get a prompt to enter the driver name for the card as it claims it is unrecognised. Anyone else seeing this?

So I would say we have an issue with non-WM5 compatible Haicom drivers at least. Probably TomTom is using the interface in an unusual way - but no real way of telling.

I've ordered a BT388 GPS unit for in-car use. As I use OziExp for walking / biking I will still be able to get away with the Haicom

Phil
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update.

I managed to get a reply from Haicom tech support this morning.

I will quote it here:

Quote:
Dear Sir,

The HI-305III isn't compatible with DELL AXIM X51V with Window mobile 5.

Best Reg,

Ady

brief and to the point!

I must admit to feeling a little let down by the reply. Still my TomTom Bluetooth reciever arrives tomorrow - the BT388 was out of stock at Handtec and they are 'upgrading' me for free. And the 305 does work with Oziexplorer for those away from the car moments!

Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: