Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - axim x51v tomtom5.21
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

axim x51v tomtom5.21
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: axim x51v tomtom5.21 Reply with quote

help i've purchased a dell axim x51v and installed tomtom5.21. I'm now trying to get it to see the GPS unit (a Seidio G4850S - integrated gps with holder) but to no avail! The gps unit is working fine as we have tested this with a downloaded piece of software. tomtom is working fine but just not with the GPS unit! In the com port configuration I am getting a scrambled COM1 line: Se???a?? ?a??d??st??COM1. Can anyone help?
Confused
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the Seidio mount is set to NMEA protocol. also, try to reset your Pocket PC. The scrambled line doesn't look good, hopefully it's not some hardware issue between the mount and the Axim.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickyw, the link at the end details some settings to try, admittedly this was on a Dell x50v upgraded to WM2005 (so I would assume its nearly the same device, I hope) - you need to have a poke around in the GPS icon as detailed, if you do what is suggested then it should appear in tomtom as a proper port, once you have configured this soft reset the device and then configure the GPS in TomTom, the strange syntax you list seems to be a trait of the Dell devices, if this doesn't work the next posting after mine (in the link) details the reg edit needed – Mike
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28171&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
Nickyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. Am still battling on with the problem and have tried various port settings. The mount is set to NMEA protocol. Will try the COM9 and COM8 settings together etc and let you know how things go.
Thanks again for your help.
Nicky
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: axim x51v tomtom5.21 Reply with quote

Nickyw wrote:
help i've purchased a dell axim x51v and installed tomtom5.21. I'm now trying to get it to see the GPS unit (a Seidio G4850S - integrated gps with holder) but to no avail! The gps unit is working fine as we have tested this with a downloaded piece of software. tomtom is working fine but just not with the GPS unit! In the com port configuration I am getting a scrambled COM1 line: Se???a?? ?a??d??st??COM1. Can anyone help?
Confused

There is a registry hack to fix this and a couple of threads on www.aximsite.com forums refer. Searching for for the scrambled COM1 line should locate them tho' I'm not sure if you've quoted it quite right cos' IIRC it should start Se??a?? which apparently is gobbledegook for Serial!

Good luck
Nickyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. To Mike - I have tried the Com9 and Com8 settings. I am using a wired GPS (integrated GPS unit with holder - G4850 Seidio) so obviously opted for the 'other wired GPS' option. Unfortunately, it still shows 'no GPS device'! Open to any further suggestions.

I also looked at the Axim website for a fix through the link given by the last respondent but it comes up with no matches. I have double checked the scrambled COM1 line and that which I quoted on my original entry is correct - Se???a?? ?a??d??st?? COM1:
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long shot, and I am doubtful it will work, but give it a try, go to settings connections tab IrDA and de-select the recieve all beams check box, then try again - This works for the HTC PDA based phones, but as I said its a long shot - Mike
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickyw wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. To Mike - I have tried the Com9 and Com8 settings. I am using a wired GPS (integrated GPS unit with holder - G4850 Seidio) so obviously opted for the 'other wired GPS' option. Unfortunately, it still shows 'no GPS device'! Open to any further suggestions.

I also looked at the Axim website for a fix through the link given by the last respondent but it comes up with no matches. I have double checked the scrambled COM1 line and that which I quoted on my original entry is correct - Se???a?? ?a??d??st?? COM1:

I have a Dell Axim x50v and also have the scrambled line for serial port 1 (a registry edit sorts that out). I hope I am not just stating the obvious, but did you know that TomTom5 shows 'no GPS device' even if it HAS found one. It will remain as showing 'no GPS device' until it gets a good signal. When you have set up your GPS options make sure you go into 'GPS Status' to see if the black&yellow circle is spinning. Also make sure your GPS receiver is running in nmea mode (I bought a SirFIII receiver and it wouldn't work with tomtom until I changed it to nmea mode)

rabdo
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickyw wrote:

Here's the link to the aximsite thread. Sorry, should have done this for you last time but was a bit pushed then.

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=108748&highlight=Tomtom+5.21
Nickyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Gamichea - sos to bother you again but I had spent so long on this and when I couldn't find the thread thought it was easier to ask - thanks again. Found it now, so will give it a go. Will post the outcome.
Nicky
Nickyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - thanks for the latest suggestion but the beam box is already de-selected. Still trying!!!!!
Nickyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamichea

Sorry to be a pain but is there any chance you can post a link for a registry editor - its probably right in front of my face - if it is I apologise but I'm a bit new to all of this.

Many thanks

Nicky
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Kilmist its the one I use, you get a free trial period for evaluation, after that you need to pay http://pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=3648
Mike
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickyw wrote:
Gamichea

Sorry to be a pain but is there any chance you can post a link for a registry editor - its probably right in front of my face - if it is I apologise but I'm a bit new to all of this.

Many thanks

Nicky

Ah, Mike beat me to it Sad . Hope it works for you. You're "a bit new to all of this"?! My first PPC is still awaiting build at Dell's Irish facility!!
silverwizard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: tt5.1 on axim xv51v Reply with quote

I had this same problem.
It seems the new BT stack that Micro$oft added is having issues, plus the partnering process COMPLETELY different from the one that most are used to in earlier versions of Windows Mobile. I went through the whole schtick of trying to mod the registry, virtual gates, etc etc. And none of that worked.

This is what finally DID work:

Go to bluetooth, turn on and also select 'discoverable by other devices'
Then scan for the bt gps you have, and it should find it and setup the partnership, and check the box that says you want to use the serial port service. AND THAT IS ALL. Do not try and setup incoming and outgoing serial ports. Now go to the the windows gps utility(start->settings->system tab->GPS). It wants to know what port gps apps are going to look use to get to the gps device. I selected GP1. Nice, generic, doesn't interfere with any real serial ports. Then go to the next tab and set the SPEED your device is capable of transmitting at, but don't select a port. Go to the next tab and check the box 'automatically handle port configuration'.

Now, when you're in TomTom you need to select the gps device. Just select that screwy ser???a line. (apparently Micro$oft is just batting a thousand on this one) And the application should pick up your bt gps. Or if its like mine, you may need to move the gps around a bit to get a feed started. (I have an Oncourse BT-339)

Once I did all that TomTom worked without a hitch.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: