Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcode errors with Copilot 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcode errors with Copilot 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Postcode errors with Copilot 6 Reply with quote

Since receiving Copilot 6 I have noticed a few Postcode errors apart from my own postcode missing from it's database I noticed only yesterday that a postcode was situated a mile away from where it should be.

I feel this is very disappointing as I don't think I can trust just using the postcode feature only when navigating anywhere.

As it is not cheap to upgrade to copilot 6 especially as I have upgraded to the European maps as well, I was wondering whether it is worth getting a refund and using the 30 day money back guarantee and buying Tom Tom. But then I will have to consider buying another SD card to be able to have the same area of mapping I have on my SD card I now have with copilot. Then has Tom Tom's routing or postcode feature got errors in and overall which is the best.

Has anyone else found any errors in copilot 6's database, and I wonder if ALK will release a patch in the future to correct the errors?

I would also appreciate if anyone has any experience with Tom Tom 5 what they like or dislike about the software compared to copilot, and have they found any errors in Tom Tom's postcode database? Idea

Regards

Steve
tyro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: postcode inaccuracy Reply with quote

Yes, I've noticed inaccuracies in mapping from postcodes; town and city locations seem to work fine but not so for country locations. In my own case, Copilot 6 locates me in a village about 8 miles away to the NW. My postcode is HR4 8AT (Wellington), but Copilot gives this as Weobley, which coincidentally has a postcode of HR48.
I emailed Support ten days ago and asked for comments, but have not received a reply; I'll post anything I get.
I echo your disappointment-one of the attractiond of upgrading was the advantage of using 7 digit postcodes to navigate by; I hope this will be sorted-I presume that other software works better?
US_CoPilot_Support
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: PostCodes Reply with quote

Viper,

Please email me the PostCodes that are inaccurate and I will have the CoPilot data team review this information. You can email me directly at techsupport@alk.com Attn: Robert Raia

Tyro,

Please email me your email address you used to submit your comments to and I will try to locate the email and answer your questions.

Regards,
Robert Raia
Technical Support
CoPilot Division
ALK Technologies, Inc.
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey! This is a positive turn - it's great to see ALK support taking an interest in these forums.

Hopefully they will get a chance to look at my ETA bug that I reported a few days ago too.

Robert - thanks for publicly turning up here.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that it is essential to type the space in the middle of the post code, otherwise you end up in the wrong place.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My postcode is the same puts me about 5 miles from my actual address. I emailed a bug report in a couple of weeks back giving lat & long of the real address. It is ok in Autoroute which also uses Navteq maps so it must be CPL thats wrong. I'll take advantage of the post from support.

Phil
tyro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: inaccuracies in postcodes Reply with quote

Further to my posting above, and the subsequent reply from Robert Raia from US support, I've now had a reply from European support:

'We have looked into your enquiry and can confirm that this a mapping issue.

We thank you for your information and will forward this to our mapping department who will look into this.

In future should you come across any postcodes that do not match up to their location, please do not hesitate to forward this on to us.'

I hope this is not a 'pass the parcel' exercise and that something will come out of it.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyro wrote:

Quote:
I hope this is not a 'pass the parcel' exercise and that something will come out of it.

I agree.

These postcode errors are quite common. Also, I noticed yesterday that inputting by address, rather than postcode, produced the wrong destination by about a mile.

While ALK's direct intervention on the forum is very welcome, it won't mean much until it comes in the form of reassurance that there is to be a comprehensive review of the maps and databases, followed shortly by revisions and patches.

Whether ALK or Navteq deal with the problem, users' reports of errors are no substitute for diligent, efficient and accurate inputting when the maps and databases are compiled in the first place or, as things stand, prior to issuing revisions. Also, the company's historical lack of action on reported issues is bound to deter users from taking the trouble to report them now. I can't help wondering why the company intervened on the question of postcodes and not on others.

I think that the message for ALK is, "you take action, then users will see that it is worthwhile sending you information". A good way to start this process would be to put out a patch release very soon. The previously-reported date for the oatch passed two weeks ago.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: