Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Darren wrote:
strumble wrote:
GMT
Every other website is at 5pm but this website indicates 6pm!
Please explain why I should change this website to GMT-1

I'm not a web server expert but if you do change to GMT -1 the problem will be resolved! I guess we need to get the server hosts to sort the time out!

I am now off to relax with my family so let's not begin accusing me of ignoring posts now
;)

Was this last comment directed at me?

strumble, I'm sure it wasn't.
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the speed camera forum but, as the mods seem to have congregated here...

what's been changed in the database from September to Novermber ?

September - 2mb
October - 2.2mb
November - 1.7mb

0.5mb is a fair old chunk of data to go walkies...

Garmin Zumo 390LM
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as to payment options, have you looked at 2Checkout ? www.2checkout.com

they charge 5.5% plus $0.45 per sale, that's about 40p from £2
you can charge in, and be paid in, any of about 10 currencies inc. GBP and they offer recurring billing over any duration, days, weeks, months or years
you even get a 30 day money back guarantee

I've used them for almost 3 years now and the service is excellent

BLATANT PLUG: use my affiliate ID and I'll get $10 :D
http://www.2checkout.com/cgi-bin/aff.2c?affid=21259

Garmin Zumo 390LM
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBoyGroucho wrote:
As long as it was in perpitutity not some ramdon length of time.

if we have you in our records or you can provide a copy of a submission then that would be good enough for me Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Darren wrote:
strumble wrote:
GMT
Every other website is at 5pm but this website indicates 6pm!
Please explain why I should change this website to GMT-1

I'm not a web server expert but if you do change to GMT -1 the problem will be resolved! I guess we need to get the server hosts to sort the time out!

I am now off to relax with my family so let's not begin accusing me of ignoring posts now
;)

Was this last comment directed at me?

Not the "I am now off to relax with my family so let's not begin accusing me of ignoring posts now" No Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccsnet wrote:
Darren - I've not seen any comments on the Auto update of this data.... I am and I am sure others are using POIEdit to do this... can the Admin team make a soecific comment re how this will be done ?

Terran

We are speaking with POI-edit about this currently, we hope to retain it with a password protected system.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soweezy wrote:
as to payment options, have you looked at 2Checkout ? www.2checkout.com

they charge 5.5% plus $0.45 per sale, that's about 40p from £2
you can charge in, and be paid in, any of about 10 currencies inc. GBP and they offer recurring billing over any duration, days, weeks, months or years
you even get a 30 day money back guarantee

I've used them for almost 3 years now and the service is excellent

BLATANT PLUG: use my affiliate ID and I'll get $10 :D
http://www.2checkout.com/cgi-bin/aff.2c?affid=21259

Cheers for the link, I'll look into it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soweezy wrote:
I posted this in the speed camera forum but, as the mods seem to have congregated here...

September - 2mb
October - 2.2mb
November - 1.7mb

I'll investigate as that does look a little odd!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soweezy wrote:

September - 2mb
October - 2.2mb
November - 1.7mb

I know Darren said he'd look into it, but I remembered. The .wav files were removed, as they aren't necessary with TTN5. I wonder if they should be placed in the Downloads section for V3 users.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I know Darren said he'd look into it, but I remembered. The .wav files were removed, as they aren't necessary with TTN5. I wonder if they should be placed in the Downloads section for V3 users.

Gawd! Of course, grey matter's failing me Sad

I'm not sure how many v3 users remain but we can re-instate those as a seperate download if there is interest.
JGriff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going to cater for all those people that have contributed to the database in the past? as they have not surrendered their intellectual property rights to the data they have provided you with? Secondly how are you going to reward contributors to the new charged service? particularly when adding new sites (not often these days) or ammending site details that are wrong or have changed Question
Having written complete POI categories previously, which I forwarded to you free of charge, how will you compensate me if you charge others to download that particular POI category?
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I do think you need to give this whole matter a great deal more thought, than just how the charging mechanism will work
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGriff wrote:
How are you going to cater for all those people that have contributed to the database in the past? as they have not surrendered their intellectual property rights to the data they have provided you with? Secondly how are you going to reward contributors to the new charged service? particularly when adding new sites (not often these days) or ammending site details that are wrong or have changed Question
Having written complete POI categories previously, which I forwarded to you free of charge, how will you compensate me if you charge others to download that particular POI category?
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I do think you need to give this whole matter a great deal more thought, than just how the charging mechanism will work

We hope to have a system that rewards contribution of new data once validated and we do not propose ever charging individuals for other POI categories outside of the Safety Camera POI.

I will provide a detailed response to the IP query tomorrow, not because I wish to avoid the question which deserves a response but because I do not have the terms of submission clauses to hand.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally jumping in....

My personal choice would be a membership model on the proviso that it would allow downloads in perpetuity AND entitlement to discounts with selected sponsors (e.g. gpsforless, yoonoo etc).

Not sure how sustainable this revenue stream would be for PGPSW though.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
...the analogy of people not submitting data because they've paid for the service doesn't hold true in my opinion. how many times have we emailed garmin, tom tom etc etc giving tips and ideas of how to improve their service/product? isn't it the same?...

This thread is taking a LONG time to read through. However,

1. I do not think it unreasonable for someone to at least cover their costs in providing this service (but I would like to know what those costs are and what revenue already comes in).

2. I disagree with MaFt - I think the quality of the database WILL suffer because, as it is currently free I, anyway, feel a moral obligation to help keep it up to date. If I'm paying for it I don't feel any such obligation. Whatever PGPSW say it is not a practical proposition for them to verify all current sites let alone future ones - therefore IMHO the database is going to become increasingly inaccurate.

3. Earlier in this thread someone suggested keeping the basic database free but offering some sort of premium, paid for, service like more up to date files. There will always be those willing to pay for better info and so that is the way that I think PGPSW should go.
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When we started we initially built up the database core from the scant information that was available in the public domain but it might be useful information to know that out of the entire safety camere database userbase, less than 700 users have ever contributed more than once which is an interesting point in itself.

What are the thoughts from those who have submitted data in the past if we were to grant them free access?

Obviously being a reasonably long standing member and a contributor, I have to say that the fact that those members have not contributed over once does not suprise me at all, in fact in my area I find very few "new" cameras on my limited drive to work, if I were a travelling rep or suchlike no doubt there would be many more occasions that I could contribute, but on a 13 miles journey which includes only 2 cameras there is little chnace to add further. And on the very occasional longer run to visit friends, quite frankly with a car load of kids it is enough just to notice the cameras let alone record thier positions! :D

And yes, I do think that previous contributors should be given free access to a database that was actually built up through thier own data, with the massive increase in GPS devices now I am sure if this site is correctly managed and promoted then there would be more than enough income from new downloaders to cover your costs!

And if I were a new user........I actually think £2 per download seems a bit steep considering to keep bang up to date it needs renewing every month, maybe a yearly sub or £1 per download? How many downloads do you get now each month? Give us a clue?

Anyway keep up the good work, and when I see newer cams on my way to work you'll be the first to know!

BTW the road works cameras on the A130 for the new bus lane near Chelmsford have gone now, they can be deleted Wink

Best regards David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 43 of 60

Jump to: