Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rumplestiltskin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2 per download did I miss Christmas is it April the First already.

How come when something gets popular some b*****d wants to make money out of it.

Sounds like a bit of new Labour Spin to me.

What happened to for the people by the people.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Locations Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
Is this site updated frequently. If so why send the details to PGPSW. Just do it yourself. How long will it be before a well known retailer of Sat Nav devices provides free downloads.

Well, I've just checked around my area of West London and the site that Stuart points to is woefully inadequate and has no ability to download a database.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
While I don't object to a charging model I think charging £2.00 PER DOWNLOAD is a massive, massive, massive mistake on the part of PocketGPS world.

I would strongly recommend a year long subscription model, a price of say £20 for a year would be fair.

The current charging model is about the worst possible way you could have done it :(

I strongly agree. I don't like paying any money over the internet, and having to do it every month is really disturbing. I too would prefer an annual payment which could then be made by post.
I don't really have too much of a problem paying for the database, but is it just me that I find it rather cynical that a POI capture facility is provided only a few days prior to announcing there would be a charge? Especially that the charge model MUST have been under discussion for weeks, if not months.

I would be happy paying up to £40.00 per annum, but dont expect me to supply you with free data - and thus the database disappears.......

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder to those that may not have read all of the posts (including the lead story in its entirety) that we do intend to physically check and add to the database ourselves so the quality will improve over time not diminish.
eatstoomuch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with tomthompson's post. Really two quid is a small price to pay especially if the database becomes more accurate.
Why is everyone being so tight fisted here? And what's wrong with the people running this excellent site making a few bob? Most people who have a good idea deserve to make some moey off the back of it, surely?
Like many users of this site, I imagine, I have been happily freeloading for nearly a year. Now it's time to put something back, I, for one, don't mind.
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we do intend to physically check and add to the database ourselves so the quality will improve over time not diminish.

Whilst I don't mind paying a yearly subscription for the database as long as the quality is maintained, I do think that people will stop sending updates once they have to pay to subscribe. Also, as the quote above, how can the PGPS team (around 15 people) hope to improve on what 24,642 members currently maintain. Now I know that only a small percentage of those members probably regularly update the database, but the difference in numbers contributing is massive.
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must just say I totally disagree with charging for something that was orginally free, and like somebody else said it gives the feel of somebody saying "We can make money out of this" though I doubt for one minute that the intention was the thought of 'easy' money.

I've also noticed that the Bandwidth excuse has cropped up from various other forums that I frequent and the "we need to raise funds because of this" etc...

My personal opinion is 2 quid per download is a no go, if a yearly one then maybe the 20 quid one off fee but again as other have said I would only download maybe twice a year if that happened for the amount of travelling I do.

I also own an old original Geodessy unit and that is 30 quid a year as comparison, the RoadPilot I believe is 50... so seems cheap but it's the sudden charge I strongly disagree with, sorry guys...
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbrady wrote:
Just a reminder to those that may not have read all of the posts (including the lead story in its entirety) that we do intend to physically check and add to the database ourselves so the quality will improve over time not diminish.

As someone who had already read the initial post I want to make two points

1. So, like TomTom - Students will be asked to check these? We, the community are already doing this, using the POI recorder, that has just been installed on most TomTom 5 machines, why have it checked again. You have just asked the community to send in all cameras to improve efficency - how can you improve on this?

2. If this is the case, then Lutz has probably wasted his time, as a lot of people will save the memory space on the Go's and Pocket PC's and remove the software. I hate to say this, a lot of "good will" will probably be gone after this starts up.

Oh and Enjoy Christams!
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think alarm bells started ringing for me when I read the articles claiming copyright by Pocket GPS World. What are they copyrighting? The positions of the speed camera's or the fact they have been formatted into a list?
All I can suggest to the contributors is to take YOUR data and start a truly free database. There are ways if required of distributing it without bandwidth costs.
Maldy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a real shame. The database is certainly what brings (and more importantly, keeps bringing) a huge number of people to the site and once you guys start charging for it, expect to see a massive decrease - probably one that will cost you far more in lost ad reveneue than the gain in subs.

Also, many of us have contributed the odd camera location over the years simply because we knew trhe database was free - can't see this happening for much longer.

If Linux can be distributed freely ....

Very bad move, please reconsider :-(
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our research at the Basingstoke event indicated that the vast majority were happy with the possibility of a small charge.

We realised that the feedback on the forums themselves might not accurately reflect that (boy, were we right!) as discontented readers will always have more inclination to post than those who are willing to pay or those on the fence.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this for a few hours now. Initially I was not opposed to paying for the service of the database (and in principle I would still be prepared to pay).

However, if there are cheaper ways to distribute the list as suggested by some posters to this forum, I would ask whether these have been considered by those who run this excellent site? If there are cheaper options which would negate the bandwidth cost argument, would they be prepared to take that option rather than charging?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The database is certainly what brings (and more importantly, keeps bringing) a huge number of people to the site

The database does contribute to the traffic, but it is less than 10%.
mbailey3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought pocketgpsworld.com was meant to be a free site run as a hobby and not for a profit.

The reason why pocket world is great is that it is completely independent.

How can you goto Tomtom HQ each year and discuss plans for future releases of tomtom (including there own speed camera database) when you are a direct competitor now?

If you want to setup a new database then go ahead and pay someone to do this for you, but I do not believe that it is fair for you to take all the hard work and effort from all the contributors to turn this around into a profit for yourselves.

Please can you reconsider and keep pocketgpsworld and the camera database free and not a business.
Steve101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong in charging £2 for something as useful as the speed camera locations. On the other hand, the cameras don't really change all that much from one month to the next. A few added here and a few moved from one location to another. I think if the charge goes ahead, very few people will actually download the updated cameras on a monthly basis. Maybe once every 4-6 months would be more realistic.

I think that as most of the cameras are submitted by people that download the database each month, you will be charging them for their contribution. If the cameras were not submitted each month by people, there would be no update to download. I can't imagine that £2 would be a reasonable fee just to compile the user submitted info into a GPS compatible file. Surely its not that time consuming?

The only sure way to know if this 'charge' is going to work is to try it. Then you can choose whether to do it for free again, or not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 5 of 60

Jump to: