Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the lateness of this reply, we have been considering our response.

To address some points:

We did expect a lot of negative response on the forums, however this was the opposite of what we found with the Basingstoke event survey.

Several posters are making assumptions about what others on the forum will do and many are making assumptions about what the industry will think. We have spoken to many senior representives/owners of GPS corporations and every one so far, without exception or hesitation, thought we should charge.

Many think we should have been charging a long time ago. We therefore have the support of the industry at large.

Some are also introducing made up facts and figures about our organisation, advertisers and visitors. Many seem to be taking all figures quoted as facts. We haven't spotted one correct figure that has been stated yet.

Remember also that it's the administration time of the site as a whole that is the real issue. The database does contribute to the traffic, but it is less than 10%. The bandwidth issue is related to both the database and the site as a whole.

Readers who wish not to pay will always have more inclination to post than those who are willing to pay or those on the fence. A 'call-to-action' poll on the back of a rally cry for action can never be a reflection of the real attitude of the majority. Not only can the poll be manipulated by deleting cookies, but I suspect the results will be skewed by the dissatisfied who would be more inclined to vote.

I remember that Dave Burrows (Dave used to be our Editor in Chief before chaging jobs) said on the forums that the intention was to keep the database free, but I never recall that any of us said that we would never charge for it. As Mr Rusty has kindly pointed out...

<quote>
I am sure when the original "It will remain free" statement was made, it was made in good faith, but running a site like this takes time and effort, and it is inevitable when a site becomes successful that the time and effort eventually exceeds the time available as a "hobby".
</quote>

...it actually passed that stage a long time ago and we have been putting off the inevitable.

Because we have used the word 'professional' some are accusing of us of not saying what we mean, i.e that we are going to be commercial. We have been commercial for over 2 years now and certainly have not hid it (the adverts are a clear indication of our commercial status).

It will not be impossible to independently check the locations. Many companies already check outdoor sites - albeit not cameras - and report on existing and new (usually competitors) sites. Think 10's of thousands of outdoor advertising posters, most checked weekly, others monthly. The level to which we use such a company will depend on the need and level of commercial success of the database.

We will be collecting the data ourselves in addition to the many who have indicated (publicly and privately) that they will continue to support our efforts. We do expect a drop in voluntary submissions in the short term and we of course acknowledge the points made about goodwill, but believe that hundreds will still contribute data freely.

We are VERY confident that the database will not only survive, but also improve in quality. This is indeed one of the driving aims behind introducing the download fee.

We also have big plans next year to make PocketGPSWorld.com even more of an authority in the industry than it is already. This obviously costs money. We have been taking it steady over the last couple of years, but are starting to get squeezed by commercial companies. Rest assured that no matter what, we will retain our independence.

We have taken on board any contructive criticism on the thread, thank you. Also a big thank you to all who sent private messages and calls of support over the last 2 days including the following: "All of the people I have spoken to at work today think the 2 pound charge is more than acceptable, that's about 30 people I know of that use TT sat nav - they will all continue to use the service."

Due to the repetition of points being made over the last 24 hours and with some of the remarks being of a personal nature we have decided to close this thread shortly.

PS. The assumption that the last database was the last free one was incorrect.

The PocketGPSTeam
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions that need answering from the pocketgpsworld te Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Thank you for that. You certainly know how to make a person give up.

It just occurred to me that if we added up all the 2P worths that have been given on this thread, they could have funded the database for 6 months! :P

Anyway, I hear that all involved have joined a Bridge club and are at this moment contemplating jumping of it next week! Confused
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions that need answering from the pocketgpsworld te Reply with quote

DownToEarth wrote:
What your going to do if you've already lost 88% of buyers (look at poll)?

The majority of people are almost certainly trying to sway the vote, but will still purchase the database when they have no other choice.

But the real killer will be that the vast number of first time users of GPS over the next year will never have experienced or contributed to the free database, so won't think twice about paying for an acceptably-priced service. Since the growth of GPS is set to increase exponentially for the forseeable future, the number of users who contributed to this poll will fade into total insignificance.

If you want to argue, try and bring the price down.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccsnet wrote:
PS - Spose admin should update this page asap ( http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php ) sort of mis advertises....

Why? It is still free?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions that need answering from the pocketgpsworld te Reply with quote

DownToEarth wrote:
Just look at the poll listings in the last post --> Now someone from the pocketgpsworld team reply to this and say what they are going to do if 88% of the users of the database are not going pay!! The database has always promised to be free and as someone said before there is always some b*****d trying to make money out of something that is free.

250 votes is NOT 88% of the database users! Represent the true facts or not at all. There are other polls which suggest a very different result.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Our posts seem to have crossed - did you look at my suggestions?

Alan
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
Richard,

Please don't "give up". The speed camera DB is a good product - but it should be viewed as a one part of the whole forum. It is not beyond the bounds to offer the DB as an incentive to make people pay for the forum. Once again, I invite you to look at www.bikersoracle.co.uk (and I freely admit I have a financial interest in it). They offer a free forum section and a members only (paid) area. In that area are useful downloads.

So, assuming that there is a good business basis for going commercial, then it is possible to do it and not offend too many (there will always be one or two)

So, rather than responding to all the negativity in the posts above, how about if the mods would take on board some of the ideas posted in mine (and others) postings and come up with an alternative strategy.

At least tell us that they understand our concerns and will attempt something that we can live with [and do it soon].

Alan

Alan,

Thank you for the good advice. I had a quick look at your site earlier but I did not delve deep enough to understand the setup.

Richard
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - crossed posts again !

Alan
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't keep up with all the pages of replies so here's my thoughts for what they're worth....

It's obvious that the success of the database has led people to this site and has made it as successful and popular as it is. The problem that has become obvious from reading what I have is that I and quite a few others regard it a little rich to be asking us to pay for a DB that we ourselves are contributing to. Should there be some sort of payment or discount to those of us who provide new info? I think that would make us feel that our input is worthwhile and would allow many of us to feel it is worth adding more cameras to the DB.

The problem as it stands is this: The DB is hugely successful because we all contribute to it and in turn we get something out of it. I have pulled over a number of times to mark a new camera as a favourite so I can later email the details on as have so many others. No, the DB is not perfect, but neither is a 'paid for' one either. However I feel that with any backlash, the DB will itself become less accurate as fewer of us provide info to it. This in turn will make it less of an attraction (especially when you have to pay for it) and the reSult could be a snowball effect whereby the popularity and success of this site and the DB steadily drops.

In a nutshell, I think by charging, PGPSW could be signing its own death warrant.

No-one that I can tell has actually asked for the DB to be MORE accurate by way of physical checks, etc. For crying out loud, Teleatlas do physical checks and see how poor some of their map info is! I think the majority of us feel that the accuracy is pretty good and is a constant reminder to be aware of cameras. If I start to pay for essentially the same (or perhaps a worse) product, then I am going to feel a lot less sympathetic to those putting it together than I am when I know they are volunteers. I couldn't give a stuff about Microsoft and their feelings, but some keen programmer who comes up with a bit of shareware will get and deserve all the support others can give him.

Where does all the money from advertising go to? Why do you guys feel that you NEED to grow? Why not simply contain what you have or ask for a few more volunteers? I'm sorry but I do smell a bit of a rat here.

So basically, charge away for the DB, but don't be surprised if this all backfires on you. I think this is a dangerous move (unless you are hoping to sell the site some day for a tidy sum) and one that will take it from a well-run bunch of volunteers to possibly a less popular one run for profit.
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i've been following this thread with interest and i thought it was now time for me to comment.
I have contributed to the camera database in the past and will continue to do so even when the database has to be paid for, Pocket GPS do a fantastic job and to be honest £2 a month for what i feel is probably the best database out there is not a lot really.

The staff at Pocket GPS world always have had and as far as i'm concerned always will continue to get my support.

The only suggestion i would like to add is would it be possible that we could pay for the database with a yearly subscription as well as the £2 a month option??
Paul
james_uk9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Due to the repetition of points being made over the last 24 hours and with some of the remarks being of a personal nature we have decided to close this thread shortly.

PS. The assumption that the last database was the last free one was incorrect.

The PocketGPSTeam

Haha, man...

Respond to the community in an unfavourable way and then say that you are closing the thread!

Do we no longer live in a democracy?

All I will say at this stage is:

I sincerely hope you have a strong legal team as PGPSW is sure going to need it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions that need answering from the pocketgpsworld te Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
The majority of people are almost certainly trying to sway the vote, but will still purchase the database when they have no other choice.

But the real killer will be that the vast number of first time users of GPS over the next year will never have experienced or contributed to the free database, so won't think twice about paying for an acceptably-priced service. Since the growth of GPS is set to increase exponentially for the forseeable future, the number of users who contributed to this poll will fade into total insignificance.

If you want to argue, try and bring the price down.

Actually in reality the minority are trying to sway the vote. Of the 30 pages of posts, a large number are new posters without any track record on this website and the total number of unique posters is a tiny percentage of the regular database users.

I will re-iterate a few points, we will consider all reasonable suggestions and mull over them over the Christmas period i.e. reward for submission etc. However I would ask all our regular readers to weigh up each post on its merit, there are a large number from new users and there are many from posters who have NEVER contributed previously either in the forums or via camera submissions.

I and my colleagues which include our moderators have spent every spare hour over the past 3 1/2 years devoted to this site and assisting users, if trust is the issue then I would hope that we have demonstrated our commitment, think long and hard about which others deserve to be similarly credited?

Some posts have attacked individuals uneccesarily. PocketGPSWorld.Com has three Directors, Mike, Robert and myself. We have never hidden this and the information is public record but it does not justify the posting of personal information in these forums without good reason.

All I ask now is some calm reflection, nothing is about to change imminently, January's database will be released as normal and in the meantime we will continue to remove links to other sites set up in competition as we see no reason to fund an advertising campaign on your behalf.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
Darren,

Our posts seem to have crossed - did you look at my suggestions?

Alan

Alan, please be assured I will do Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_uk9 wrote:

Haha, man...

Respond to the community in an unfavourable way and then say that you are closing the thread!

Do we no longer live in a democracy?

All I will say at this stage is:

I sincerely hope you have a strong legal team as PGPSW is sure going to need it.

I said 'shortly' i.e. there would be time for considered responses, yours is not. You confuse the term 'democracy' which does not cover a website funded by individuals. If you have something new to add however please do so.
Calligrapher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would be reasonably happy to pay an annual subscription to become a member of your 'club' with the priviledges that that might bring - a regularly updated camera database being a strong incentive. I think that you may get away with that but to charge per download or purely for per access to the database would be counterproductive and poor marketing. Give a cash-contributing member some incentive to pay - exclusive forums, up to date info and a sense of belonging and contributing would create goodwill rather than antagonism. As a yorkshireman, I 'like owt for nowt', but if it is a case of 'pay up or we shut up' AND it can be properly justified, then if I must then I will pay to be a member of a club that serves me well.

Charge to be a member if you must - do not charge for the database.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 28 of 60

Jump to: