Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi camera database problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi camera database problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the voice language list there are 2 UK English Voices. One of them, "Emily" I think, is the TTS voice. Make sure you use the arrows at the bottom right of the screen to scroll through the complete list, it is easy to miss.

I have sold my Nuvi 300 now, so this is from memory, but a TTS voice was definitely there and working.
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wicked i will try and unrap it Laughing Laughing wit out her seeing... Laughing Laughing
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just british english american english and lthe rest no names Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. Confused

Have you downloaded the latest update from the Garmin site. Perhaps the TTS voice is contained in that.
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my unit last week it came with v2.40 already installed i got it from http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk very good serviceand it came FREE with speed camera database link Laughing pgps
rolfd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 300 definitely does have Text to Speech. It is in voices called Emily TTS or something.

It works a treat, but the voice is very robotic, and volume too low to hear in a moving car. Unless ur being pushed!

Does anyone know if the voices can be updated?

I looked on the Garmin site, and there are voice upfates for the c310...

Cheers,

Rolf
rolfd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I emailed Garmin and asked about TTS on the 300 heres the reply copy and pasted.

Dear XXXXX
sorry the Nuvi 300 does not text to speech and not going to have it is only the Nuvi 350 will have text to speech, you will have the latest voice ont the Nuvi.

Strange or what Exclamation
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Text to Speech Reply with quote

Most of the web shops are still (today) advertising the Nuvi 300 with TTS and well as the on the 350

So if all of us who have bought the 300 complain to Garmin about this perhaps they will release a software update to enable us to have what we were promised?!

These companies obviously got their original specs from Garmin - so many of them cannot have got it wrong alone

Apart from this, the Nuvi is an excellent unit, much smarter than my ICN 630 v3
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was the main reason i baught mine im sure even on the garmin website i read that it had tts very un happy so i have been misslead but who is my complaint with.
the dealers get the info etc from garmin at the moment father christmas has mine ready for sunday...... Laughing Laughing
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi Reply with quote

Your complaint is really with the retailers, for not checking their facts, and then they should take it up with Garmin directly

But I think the only people who can really sort this out for us is Garmin. So if we all threaten to return our Nuvi's back for a refund due to misrepresentation, perhaps they will act

Of course, the sad fact is once you've used your little Nuvi, you won't wish to let him go TTS or not!

Enjoy your christmas toy!
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats right i took it out the box to test recalculation thats the one thing i need acuracy and lightning fast off route recalculation this has it
tt5 is good but this beats it so i will complain but wont send it back Laughing
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all!
New Nuvi300 owner - only got it this afternoon.
First impressions are that it beats the pants off both my TomTomGo classic and Garmin i3!

Regarding the TTS business - on mine there are only two English voices - one for American English and one for British English. When you select either one a message comes up on the status line at the bottom saying "This voice will not speak text". (I think that was the exact wording as it only seems to come up when you first run set-up, doesn't appear again if you subsequently change the languages). So it seems that TTS is NOT part of the 300, I too, was mis-led by the advertising.

Mind you, the text line at the top does show "Turn right at Green Lane" etc instead of "Turn right in xxx feet", which is a nice touch.

Had a spot of bother with the Speed Cameras - tried copying the .csv/bmp files directly and although the files transferred they were ignored/not installed. I then deleted them and installed them using the Garmin uploader from my i3 and they installed/worked perfectly! Seems like the Nuvi300 works the same way as the i3 in that all POI's have to be in the one directory.

Am now going to try uploading some mp3's to my SD card but before I do does anybody know:-
(a) What's the maximum SD card size the Nuvi will handle and
(b) Do the mp3's have to be uploaded using the Garmin uploader?

The manual ain't clear on the above. It says to just transfer the files across, but it said that about the POI's and it didn't work!

Seems an excellent bit of kit though - wish I hadn't wasted so much money on the TTG and i3!!!!!!!!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 300 Reply with quote

Have had a few emails from Garmin today, who offered to arrange to speak with the dealer who sold me my Nuvi 300 and get it upgraded to the 350 with TTS for the cost difference. They have also now sent a bulletin out to their dealers making them aware of the differences between the two units (ie. not just Europe maps) - while a whole lot better service than I have been used to with Navman (worst experieces ever!), they wouldn't be drawn on why or how I had been mis-sold and 300 in the first instance, and if they would (or even could) introduce TTS in a future update for the 300 (after all, if I wanted European maps, I would have spent the extra, but they promoted the 300 with TTS)

As far as uploading goes, I have only tried the Speed Cameras with the Garmin Uploaded which is the neatest thing I have used on a GPS for uploading (piece of cake, worked first time, almost without you knowing!)

MP3s copied straight accross - drag and drop!
Superten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a 1GB card in my Nuvi, just link to PC and drag and drop MP3s to the SD card.

Matt
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Superten.

Tried it with a 256 card and it works a treat.
Have ordered a 1Gb card today!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: