Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5: Modification/Supplement?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5: Modification/Supplement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: TT5: Modification/Supplement? Reply with quote

Following TomTom’s deadline to purchase upgrades to TT5 AND Checkpoint now “working” I ordered 2 upgrades (one for my daughter’s ’05 Christmas present since her ’04 Xmas present was the same system as mine). Subsequently my son indicated his preference for a similar present for Xmas ’05 (see my mail of 6 December).

Last Friday I thought I should install TT5 on my kit so I could be “experienced” and ready for the inevitable family problems on 25 Dec. Since then my brain has been largely occupied with TT5 issues. It all started with the miniscule existing speed when in non-navigation mode. The menu system & other things with TT5 are very “smooth” but from referring to the Forum I became aware of the “problems” with the TT5 (Robbiex mail of 8 July under the TT5 review said it all).

My first inclination was to revert to TT3 and seek a refund on my daughter’s upgrade. But what about my son’s new system and that sticking to TT3 would result in dated maps I asked myself. Whilst we build the odd toll road and loads of mini roundabouts the network elsewhere, particularly France, sprouts new routes like dandelions in Spring. I decided I should make the effort to recover what had been lost in converting from TT3 to TT5.

In summary it seems to me that TomTom have limited the functionality of TT5 to the operation possible with TomTom GO ie a fixed in car system. This denies to the many PDA users the benefits of having a portable navigation system AND PDA. Thankfully I am able to develop an itinerary in the house with maps and tourism guides but I can’t run it and get advance details of the routing or journey time/distances I realise from Lutz that this is still possible by forming ITN files but this seems a sub-optimal solution. Other people have identified other shortcomings. It seems to me that what is required is for TomTom to modify or produce a supplement to TT5 to recognise the role of PDAs– hence this mail.

My lone voice to TomTom is unlikely to produce the desired result (Divided we fall united we stand) and I wonder what support there is out there from Forum members. Also would Pocket GPS support and coordinate an approach to TomTom to secure the desired restitutions and extras to TT5 for PDA users. After all, it seem to me that it should not be too difficult to do this since it should only be a matter of putting together some of the sub-routines that were dropped from TT3, or am I being too simplistic? Any thoughts and if Forum members agree that TomTom should ‘do something’ please send an appropriate reply to this mail with suggested modifications so that the strength of opinion will be known.

IPhone SE, TomTom GO, Memory Map (UK & France), Linesman
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find ttn5 gets in the way of any of the PDA functions - you can't check email safely when driving anyway and I can still play bejewelled when I stop!

You won't get anywhere with tomtom - they have produced a system and you can either buy it and use it or buy something else. They won't be rewriting part of it for PDA users - they are more likely to drop the pda product completely in the future than do that.

I have used tomtom since citymaps/routeplanner and then TTN1 2 3 & 5.

Overall ttn5 does all I want and works well (with the various updates applied) - I drive 500-1000 miles each week and tomtom is running for more than 20 hours each week in the car and I have had no crashes etc in the past 3 months. Having used ttn5 for 6 months I wouldn't like to revert to ttn3 now.

I would suggest you seek to return the software and try something else - good luck - when you do find what you're after could you let us all know - I've looked at loads and still think TTN5 is the best at the moment - have you thought of Co-pilot 6?

Havi
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only used TT3 for a month before upgrading to TT5, I can't really comment on the major differences between the two versions. However, after using CoPilot5 (before ditching it in favour of TomTom), I can say that I am a much happier GPS user now.

My only gripes with TT5 are:-

1. The GPS signal intermittently dropping out with a loss of position, requiring the system to re-route when it finds you again.

2. Probably linked to the above, TT5 'thinking' that you are on a different road and trying to re-route you. This always seems to happen at the M6/M56 intersection where it always seems to put me on a different flyover or sliproad.

3. Missing routing instructions at some junctions, which I assume are due to mapping errors. While TT seem to pass the buck with this to Tele-Atlas, I consider that it is their respopnsibility to ensure the accuracy of the mapping in THEIR product.

Am I easily pleased ? I don't know. But I was VERY scathing of CoPilot, so I don't think that I am easily pleased.

While some mourn the loss of functionality of TT3, the differences where clearly shown on the upgrade website, so people KNEW what they were getting.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5: Modification/Supplement? Reply with quote

terryd wrote:
Thankfully I am able to develop an itinerary in the house with maps and tourism guides but I can’t run it and get advance details of the routing or journey time/distances

Actually, if you have 5.1 or later, you can run itineraries offline very easily, it only takes 4 or 5 seconds longer to set it up than TT3. See the workaround in the bug list in the stickies at the head of this forum.

Also, since installing the latest patch, I have found the GPS driver much more effective, giving me a fix almost instantaneously and dropping out far less often

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin said...

Quote:
Also, since installing the latest patch, I have found the GPS driver much more effective, giving me a fix almost instantaneously and dropping out far less often

I have also upgrading to the latest version, but mine still takes about 1 minute 20 seconds to get a fix, and still drops out intermittently, with the map screen going haywire. It sometimes positions me ahead of where I actually am and then reverses to my position. So, I haven't noticed any improvement.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To eliminate misleading effects due the GPS receiver, I powered that up and left it until the light started flashing, showing that the receiver had a fix. Then I switched on TomTom and it grabbed the fix within less than a second.
With TomTom 5.1 and earlier, it would take a little time to display the fix, even though the receiver was locked on.
Also, there is a wooded valley near where I live. 5 and 5.1 lost the signal at the bottom, but 5.21 keeps the fix all the time
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin, I don't want to disappoint you but the "wooded valley now receiving fine", could easily be down to the lack of leaves on the trees due to the time of year, heavy foliage will attenuate the signal to a far higher level than just branches I have noticed the same when walking in certain local areas, I do agree it seems faster to achieve lock on, but I haven't tried timing it though - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: