Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP6 camera warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP6 camera warnings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m using TTS and it say approaching points of interest instead of reading the text so unless you look at the screen you don’t know what it is Crying or Very sad
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire - how long does the warning stay on the screen for with TTS?
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably about 5 seconds i think
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll probably try TTS then and see if that cures the long display time problem. I've emailed ALK but still waiting....... : Sad
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eltel writes:

Quote:
... what is the difference between the "Travel and Transportation/Safety Camera" option and the Custom option - is it possible to have cameras notified via either POI option?

Both will produce spoken notifications, but they are different. Text-To-Speech (TTS)reads whatever is written in the TTS file, whether it is a Copliot-provided file or a custom one. As for the Vorbis recorded voice, for the Copilot-provided camera files it says "Speed Camera ahead" , but for the custom files it says "Point of Interest ahead". That applies to any POI, whether or not it is a speed camera.

Eltel also says he is going to revert to TTS to try to reduce the speed camera screen display duration. I don't think that will help, however.

By the way, Eltel, are you going to take on the England job again once Sven gets on his bike? First
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eltel wrote:
Thanks - I'll probably try TTS then and see if that cures the long display time problem. I've emailed ALK but still waiting....... : Sad

if you reinstall it it might solve your problem as in my first install it never worked properly the TTS wasn't working properly and in the POI some options were missing but now works properly Smile
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponderous wrote:

Quote:
By the way, Eltel, are you going to take on the England job again once Sven gets on his bike?

Damn I've been rumbled! :D

Thanks for your help guys - I'm miffed as to why these stay on for about 30 secs yet on the very first journey after upgrading they were as in CP5 -about 5 secs. I can only think some config data changed when I exited after the first journey and that has changed the time? I know it doesn't depend on distance after notification because if you stop it still stays on for 30 secs or so. I'm still waiting for ALK's answer.

It would be interesting (well to me at least!) to see what sort of times others experience though?
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just routed to a speed camera in my house (I live near loads of them Crying or Very sad ) obviously not moving and after the TTS spoke the crap onscreen I timed it from that point and lasted 15 seconds
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CP 6 on-screen speed camera warning is diaplayed on my Dell Axim X50 for approximately 30 seconds.

I think it worth saying that it would not matter how long it was displayed if it did not obliterate the rest of the display.

ALK do need to realise that this feature is for practical use, not, for example, just for inclusion in a tick-list of features. Therefore it, and a number of other matters need thinking through - and not in time for CP 7, but right now Rolling Eyes .
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should have an option whether the warning is full screen or the top corner
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellFire wrote:
i think you should have an option whether the warning is full screen or the top corner

Unfortunately, options cause complications, and complications cause unreliability. So really, wherever possible they should be avoided.

I cannot think of a single situation, where the blanking of the screen and replacing it with one with so little information can be justified.

I have lost count of the number of times where I have been trying to follow the map, only to have it replaced with a blank screen. The M42 and surrrounding roads around the NEC being a particularly infuriating example. Yes we want to be advised of cameras, but not at the expense of the primary function of the software - NAVIGATION. If the reason for having the equipment is for camera warnings - there are far more appropriate solutions available.

I agree with ponderous on this one - it really should be sorted, and quickly!
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose it makes much difference in that I doubt product decisions will be made based on musings in this forum, but perhaps one never knows.

I do think that were I an ALK employee the condescending fashion in which we makes our pronouncments sometimes would really make me "anti" wanting to be helpful.

Ponderous, please forgive me, I'm not looking to pick on you (or anyone else for that matter), but it was your post up above that triggered this thought: "... need thinking through " (bold and italics).

A phenominal amount of time and effort has been put into this product, and presumably we 'users' must think that not only have more good decisions been made than bad but also ALK have been better at making good design decisions than anyone else (else we would switch to an alternative - at least we repeat buyers).

If ALK's software dev processes are anything like the ones I have been involved in, they will have a list of dozens to hundreds of bugs and dozens to hundreds of design change requests. If we're really looking to influence development I suppose we need to put our ideas on the list and then convince someone they are so useful they rank ahead of the 400 other things that need doing and I'm not sure a "B-: must try harder" approach would motivate anyone.

I suspect I decided to write because I found myself simultaneously agreeing with the point yet feeling affronted on behalf of ALK as I am unaccountably fond of Copilot having had much of my travel de-stressed since buying CPL4 years back. Odd how product loyalties can sneak up on you.

If this offends please accept my apology now and I will gracefully accept any criticism that follows. In terms of perfecting communications style I suspect if I were a better person I would cancel this message and go and do something else, I also feel attached to the community here so I hope you will forgive my £0.02.

Kind regards

Crash
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbiker

What you say does not offend; or not me, anyway.

What I would say is that despite some very good points - and a potentially winning product overall - Copilot does have more than its fair share of the clumsy, the impractical, the bizarre and the incompletely thought-through.

I accept that my reference to a tick-list of features may seem sarcastic. However, it was intended to get those concerned to realise (and they don't seem to realise) that there is more to it than just including a feature, and that how it works matters at least as much. That is what often makes the difference between a feature that is used and one that is abandoned. It also makes a difference when comparing other products - and on this feature Tom,Tom has it by many miles.

I accept that I may fail, but what I seek to do is, somehow, to get ALK to act, as so far, too few attempts have succeeded. If others' styles and approaches to the problem are more persuasive, then hopefully the developers will listen to them if not me.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ALK don't recognise the faults and their relative importance within their own product (and I'm sure that, like any company, they disagree amongst themselves), I don't think that they will accept the views of a single user, however many times they are repeated.

What I would hope that they would notice is the consolidated views of a large number of different users, where they have similar complaints, and similar priorities.

I, for one, have major complaints with the 30-second delay on POI alerts, because I miss turn instructions because of that. I don't have significant problems with the calculated routes, but obviously other people's priorities are different.

My only wish is that this forum doesn't descend again into the endless repetition of CP5 problems that probably stopped ALK from reading it altogether.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanKB writes:

Quote:
My only wish is that this forum doesn't descend again into the endless repetition of CP5 problems that probably stopped ALK from reading it altogether.

I think it is clear that whether this thread descends into something unsavoury once again is not a question of whether or not the occasional point is repeated for emphasis. It is more to do with whether or not we can resist the cat-calling and personal insult that was seen before.

May I suggest that we return right now to discussing the relevant topics in peace.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: