Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP6 camera warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP6 camera warnings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek,

I am just stating an observation from reading this thread. I AM genuinely interested to see if any of the problems that I encountered while using CP5 have actually been addressed and recified. From what I can discern so far, it appears that they haven't. But, I stand to be corrected.

I would be only too pleased if ALK had actually taken on board much of the criticism levelled at CP5 and done something positive about it. This would show that they actually do care about their product and customers.

Perhaps you can advise if the infamous 'meelez' has been fixed ?

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood Bazzer, but I'm fed up reading posts which are there to help people just degenerate into the same old ranting by the same people.

If these people are not happy then go use another product and leave us to help eachother.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekFKS85 writes:

Quote:
I wondered when some grouch would turn up and ruin a perfectly adult post.

You can agree or disagree with Bazzer's style (he is the one referred to as the "grouch"). However, I did not see him resorting to personal insult. , which is certainly what he received in return.

Crying Can't we draw a line under this sort of thing now? Crying

As to the factual content of Bazzer's post, it is is of course of interest to forum members that a fault that was reported long ago should still be found in CP 6. So too is the evidence about how CP 6's announcements compare with the equivalent feature in other navigation packages.

Happy What I'd like to see is factual information such as the above being heeded. I look forward to the patch - due yesterday according to a post on another thread. Happy
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer,

The bug that delayed the second half of the POI alert must have been relatively rare with CP5 since, while I have seen it with CP6, I have never seen it, or read about it, with CP5. Did you use the latest version of CP5 before switching to TomTom?

I've been told that ALK are aware of it, and have resolved it, within the upcoming patch. We shall have to wait and see.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No insult intended to anyone. Not my style.

As I said I'm fed up with all the ranting about how bad co-pilot is. No problem with bringing up faults, after all that's how this post started, but blatant slagging is so tiresome.

OK let's end it there.

I also thought the patch was due yesterday. Soon probably.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my above post, I would make it clear that CP 6 certainly does represent a considerable improvement in Copilot since CP 5. It is in fact so much improved that, in my opinion, the product is now worth having.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that hard work is urgently needed to address some significant faults and lack of basic features - many of which have long been known to ALK - not to mention poor interface, graphics and look and feel. This is not a shareware product, and it has to be on the ball.

The world's waiting for a serious competitor to TomTom. You only have to look at the TomTom forum to see that. For example, consider the thread announcing their most recent bug-fix update, which has had 25700 in 18 days. If ALK actually got on with it, it would be very much more than serious competition, but it must move on past its present 2003 (or before) product that has apparently been given a token tweaking and fuller postcodes.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant above that the TomTom forum latest bug-fix thread has had 25700 HITS in 18 days.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote...

Quote:
The bug that delayed the second half of the POI alert must have been relatively rare with CP5 since, while I have seen it with CP6, I have never seen it, or read about it, with CP5. Did you use the latest version of CP5 before switching to TomTom?

I was using v.48 which I believe was the latest UK version available at the time.

I would often get only a 'beep' noise when approaching the camera with the screen displaying the camera number. This would also happen with further cameras passed.

Then, when I got the next turn instruction, all the camera details and turn instructions would be announced in a confusing uncomprehensible jumble of words.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder how many problems are resource-related. Last week, I just couldn't connect to my Bluetooth GPS unit. I tried opening the Bluetooth manager, and it told me I was out of memory. Sure enough, when I uninstalled a couple of applications (which hadn't been running), it sprang into life again.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Thanks for the reply. I think I've sorted it. When I opened the csv file in a text editor it showed as this:

-5.35235,50.20901," ""GATSO 1518AT60"""

While the same line opened in exel showed like this:

-5.35235 50.20901 "GATSO 1518AT60"

The camera icon in my CP6 is now a black star on a tan coloured background, any way of changing this?

Dave
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
The camera icon in my CP6 is now a black star on a tan coloured background, any way of changing this?

It comes from the BMP file, which is a 16-colour bitmap, with a size of 22x22 pixels that you can simply edit with Windows Paint. You might like to try reducing the size to 16x16, since that is more the size of the standard POI's, but I don't know whether the OV2 import restricts the size.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duhhhhh!!!! of course it is. Why didn't I think of that Embarassed

Thanks again.

Dave
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also successfully imported the SPeed camera POI by copying the single file version intothe copilot/save directory. after a short delay it worked perfectly and used the standard camera graphic symbol.
However, what i didnt like was the warning text. 'approaching Point of Interest in 0.2 miles" and the whole screen blanking with the warning for longer than i would like unless i acknowledged it by taping the 'X' on screen. This is surely not 'safe' if you consider the driver safety screen. e.g. i shouldnt need to acknowledge it. I personally would prefer a simple warning in the tope part of the screen or something less obtrusive.

I subsequently tried using the CP5 method of copying the ALK coded files and this now speaks the warning except for the speed. even though it displays the text with the 'AT' and not '@'. Can i make it say the speed or is this a bug?

I was also interested to read that you could make Tomtom speak the warnings?. I never managed that. Did i miss something in the menu?

by the way i have the v 0.68 i think?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Paul-m when he writes that:

Quote:
... what i didnt like was ... the whole screen blanking with the warning for longer than i would like unless i acknowledged it by taping the 'X' on screen. This is surely not 'safe' if you consider the driver safety screen.

This reminds me of when someone wrote on this forum that ALK were probably trying to be too clever, and may have lost sight of the fact that these packages are purchased with a view to doing a practical job. I think that they urgently need to consult a panel of users about GPS use in practice.
Paul-m also wrote:

Quote:
... what i didnt like was the warning text. 'approaching Point of Interest in 0.2 miles

As the TTS voice gives a more specific POI warning, can we assume that Paul is using the human voice (.WAV files)? I am considering a change to the .WAV files and would be interested to know, please.

Paul-m also asked about TomTom's spoken POI alerts. The Forum Team have in fact provided excellent spoken alerts as an add-on to TomTom 5, details of which are on the appropriate pages. I realise that this is not a TomTom forum, but I believe that the point is relevant to Copilot, in that it illustrates that POI alerts do not have to be weird and cumbersome.
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to re-visit this but as you may have seen from another post I'm having problems with display times and camera notifications and you guys - Ponderous and Paul-m may be able to advise a relative newbie!

Before upgrading to CP6 I used the long winded import method using the single file .csv version and copied everything to the card via the download wizard these appeared under "Custom 1" (re-named "Camera") Painful but it worked - I used.wav speech and cameras were notified with a "ping", displayed for about 5 seconds - fine for me!

In CP6 I copied single file ov2 and bmp files straight into the save directory- restarted and these now appear under Custom/Speed Cameras which I assume is correct. Still using .wav I get the "POI Ahead" notification with the correct camera details but now the display stays on for 30 seconds or more as Paul-m noted. However on the first trip they worked as CP5 i.e. staying on for 5 secs so I'm confused as to how this changed after 1 trip.

Paul-m you were going to try the "old" method, did you - and if so did that change the display time?

Also what is the difference between the "Travel and Transportation/Safety Camera" option and the Custom option - is it possible to have cameras notified via either POI option?

Sorry if this seem laborious but everything was great until CP6 - although the rest of it seems a big improvement! Thanks for your indulgence!

Terry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: