Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some questions re CP6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions re CP6
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Some questions re CP6 Reply with quote

Forgive me if the answers to this are in the manual, but I haven't found them
    Is it possible to change from ABC to QWERTY keyboard? I seem so much slower using ABC
    Is there any way of triggering an audible warning for POIs?

Robin

PS There are still some bizarre routes. Try (in France) Calais to Soissons. It leaves the motorway and criss-crosses it a little north of St Quentin, and trying to pin it down wit waypoints makes it take more and more crazy loops and double backs. I have zoomed in close enough to be sure the waypoints were not on the wrong side of dual carriageways
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too can't find a QWERTY option - or a CAPS shift CAPS lock, so if anyone knows... ?

POI audible alerts are activated from Menu - Options - Home - Settings - POI Alerts.

I thought the crazy loops problem with multiple waypoints had been sorted out. However, as with many of these things, they don't necessarily show up every time. You should however find that Optimize Stops will clear the problem when it occurs.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant use the qwerty keyboard but when I first used ABC I thought it was annoying switching between numbers and letters but once you get used to it you will find its ok and its easier using the ABC while driving especially when driving fast
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I initially got a zig-zag route around the motorway when there weren't any waypoints. I inserted some waypoints to try to bring it back on track. but the route got even more stupid.
I suspect there is a mapping error which prevents you continuing on the motorway at a particularl junction or exit, so CoPilot tries to find an alternative. The same route worked fine using CP5.
As an aside, if I set up a custom set of road speeds they dont seem to stick. I click OK, but when I return the original set is there. And on the desktop planner, I don't see any way of adjusting road speeds, though it was there as an option on CP5
Robin
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:

Quote:
Well, I initially got a zig-zag route around the motorway when there weren't any waypoints. I inserted some waypoints to try to bring it back on track. but the route got even more stupid.
I suspect there is a mapping error which prevents you continuing on the motorway at a particularl junction or exit, so CoPilot tries to find an alternative.

Is this route one on which Optimize Stops did not work? It would be useful if you could say, then other users will know one way or the other.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have tried optimising stops, but it makes no difference. Most of the zig-zags are to places way off route, which don't correspond to any waypoints which I inserted. They add about 50 miles to a journey which should be about 150, mainly on motorways.
Robin
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:

Quote:
No, I have tried optimising stops, but it makes no difference.

Oh, dear. I was becoming optimistic; now I don't know what to expect. It seems that some considerable time will have to be spent travelling by a number of users before the extent of this sort of thing is known.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
on the desktop planner, I don't see any way of adjusting road speeds, though it was there as an option on CP5
Robin

What's wrong with Trip, Options, Advanced? There you can adjust road speeds in V6 as in previous versions, right?
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I missed that
Robin
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose these desktop road speed preferences are still not copied down to the PPC, which keeps its own notion of default road speeds unless you choose the new advanced feature.

It should be possible (haven't tried it) to set the prefs on the desktop and then copy usertrip.dat file from desktop to PPC. That should change the default road speeds on PPC. Needs a test.

I was hoping for V6 to provide closer coupling of desktop-ppc settings for this.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to BMWBiker's post, I have to confess to lapsing into exasperation without thinking sufficiently about the possibilities.

Could I therefore possibly ask Robin2, were you using Quickest or Shortest routing?

I'll install some maps for the area concerned and have a play around when I have time, on the principle that the more people see exactly what is described, the better.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using quickest.
Exactly the same thing happens on the desktop planner (which you don't need a European licence to try). A route from Calais to Soissons should follow the A26 motorway to just past St Quentin, then leave at J11 onto the D1 to Soissons. Just entering Calais and Soissons it takes a couple of small excursions off the A26, but if you insert waypoints on the A26 St Quentin bypass (making sure to choose the southbound carriageway) and the D1 it goes bananas, with side trips to Arras and Reims, and a scenic visit to the centre of St Quentin!
CP5 gave no trouble on that route, neither do TT3 or TT5
Robin
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:
Robin2 wrote:
on the desktop planner, I don't see any way of adjusting road speeds, though it was there as an option on CP5
Robin

What's wrong with Trip, Options, Advanced? There you can adjust road speeds in V6 as in previous versions, right?

The advanced roadspeeds seems to be be a bug, I have been working with CP engineering on the issue, seems that it works the first time one way or the other and then it routes based on the first choice you make after that unless you shut down CP and restart.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now had a look at the Routes that Robin2 described. I haven't spent sufficient time completely to analyse what is going on, and I am unsure if that is achievable, but these are my observations so far.

I do not know how widespread Quickest routing problems are, so please read the following accordingly.

With Quickest routing, it is difficult to work out what the Quickest route really is unless one has driven the roads in question. As Robin2 says, using waypoints causes some odd routes, at least between the points that he specifies. BMWBiker suggested that tweaking road speeds might be the answer. It may be the answer. However, if it is, then I for one cannot understand why the speeds have not been tweaked sufficiently to produce good approximations of Quickest routes by default. If, however, it is a case of tweaking the road speeds for each journey, and perhaps also tweaking the Favour and Avoid settings then it is likely to take too long, and therefore is unlkely to be practicable.

I think I may have worked out roughly why waypoints do not necessarily produce a very tidy route in Quickest routing. Basically, if CP “thinks” that it is quickest to do a crazy loop or double-back, then I suppose that is what it will do.

There is no real substitute for reasonable default settings, and, to repeat, if they are attainable, then why are they not there by default? If anyone can come up with some universally applicable settings, presumably when the bug mentioned by dpdurst is fixed, then I am sure that they will be welcomed.

With Shortest routing, routes are not literally shortest, but they are sufficiently near that I personally (as opposed to anyone else) wouldn't argue – and that applies pretty well wherever I have driven with CP 6 so far, and to Robin2’s example route. What does happen, presumably because CP's Shortest routing logic is still tied up with road types, is that the routes usually go to all the main population centres and, of course, all the traffic-flow problems associated with them. However, a few waypoints do usually seem to sort this out.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies: I meant to add to my post above that although Shortest routes in CP 6 can sensibly be adjusted with waypoints, the lack of tools to assist in that process makes it extremely difficult with a route of any distance. This is where the need to be able to jump to any point on the intinerary, mentioned in a number of posts by BMWBiker, comes in.

For similar reasons, CP 6 urgently needs the following views/facilities all with route so far calculated shown in the resulting window:

Arrow Centre display on cursor
Arrow Jump to present GPS location
Arrow Quick view whole route
Arrow Jump to POI

I reluctantly raise one more point here. A mantra is being promoted on the forum to the effect that as long as CP 6 gets the driver from A to B then that’s OK. The above posts disprove that notion – as if it needed disproving. There is more to it than that. Coupled with this mantra is the suggestion that anyone who raises issues does so for the sake of finding fault. I have already countered this by asking whether those who contribute to the forum but raraely if ever acknowledge any shortcomings in the product do THAT because, for some reason, they are biased. All of this serves as an unhelpful distraction.

Could I appeal, once more, while the product is in its early weeks, for everyone to try to present the facts as accurately as possible – whether they regarding the good points in Copilot, of which there are many, or the points that need attention. As I have all too embarrassingly shown, it is possible to go into print with something that is mistaken, but the same principle holds: put it right as soon as possible. Exaggerations, intransigence, political preference and attempts at censorship, in either direction, will bring the whole thing into disrepute just as it did with CP 5.

Would it be desirable to start a dedicated CP 6 forum, perhaps timed to coincide with the Forum review of CP 6 (if one is going to be produced)? Maybe that would draw the line needed from which to start afresh.

Merry Xmas

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: