Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navteq maps - what software (for Ireland)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navteq maps - what software (for Ireland)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianrm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Navteq maps - what software (for Ireland) Reply with quote

I live in Northern Ireland and currently have an HP 4150 running Navigon MobileNavigator 4.2.

In NI it's ok as about 80% of roads are covered but in the Republic of Ireland it's rubbish with only about 1% of the roads covered and no other information at all.

As I travel to the ROI fairly regularly I want to upgrade and from research I understand that Navteq have just finished the complete mapping of NI and lots of the ROI - but it might not be available to users for a while.

Can anyone tell me which software sytems use Navteq and what they would recommend?

thanks

Ian
Steve101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use a Mitac Mio 168 with Copilot 6. I bought the GPS in December 2004 with Copilot 5. I think this product will suit your needs for the North. There has been a big jump in the amount of roads between version 5 and 6 for the North. Everywhere is pretty much plastered with roads.

The Republic of Ireland on the other hand is still pretty dodgy. Obviously the cities are mapped pretty much 100%. All the M, N, and R roads are now on there too. The only back roads tend to be between Dublin and County Wicklow and a bit around Killarney but thats your lot for the south. It uses Q3 2005 Navteq maps which are the latest.

The only online place which would give an accurate screenshot of the maps in Copilot 6 would be www.maporama.com

The website www.mapquest.com has a big percentage of the missing back roads for the R.O.I., so you can compare the two and see if you can live without the backroads. Other than that I think CP6 would be the best choice for you in the North.

I have read that Navteq are going to have finished mapping R.O.I. by the end of 2005. So hopefully next year Copilot 7 will have 100% coverage of the North and South.
Steve101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fogot to mention that Northern Ireland has now got 100% coverage in Copilot 6.

Check out their website: www.alk.eu.com

Hope this helps!!!
ianrm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top man Steve, thanks for such a detailed reply. I've also been in touch with the Navigon people and they state they have the same level of detail on their maps (navteq too) and can do me a good upgrade deal of about £60. So I might well go that way. I'll let you know how I get on.

thanks

Ian
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use Navavigon 5 with update & I am sure it covered NI & SI in full detail, might be wrong.
ianrm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the reply from Navigon that NI is covered 100% and ROI is 36% covered but has all the Motorways, N roads and R roads with most of the tertiary roads there but not referenced.
ianrm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than cross post - I've bought Navigon 5.1 and it seems a great deal better - details http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18722

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: