Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman shipping old maps!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman shipping old maps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limebear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Navman shipping old maps! Reply with quote

Have just upgraded to ST2005 software for 6xx, out last week in UK (Mid Nov 2005).
After installing and being surprised that a road opened in Dec 2004 still isn't on there (new bridge A48 Newport southern link) I spotted that the Map CDs are dated 2004.2!
On the TelAtleas web site (who supply NavMan with Maps) all of their maps are 2005/2006.
Beware.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't comment on whether the maps are older than they should be, I can say that I am not suprised that the road you mention is not included since it does seem to take some time to verify changes to roads and include them.
highroyds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep we've just noticed this, one of the esstates that has been built for nearly 2 years still isnt on the navman maps. Navman said that they would be shipping the 2005 maps, but this is saying that they're shipping 2004 maps on 2005 software. Its taken this long for them to sort out the maps and even then they get it wrong.

I know what Navman will say, we can only ship out what we are given - I bet Laughing Out Loud.

But just think of all the customers that they've got money out of saying it would be 2005 maps.
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's too much to expect that the A1/M62 junction has been updated on the new maps?
highroyds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andycambs wrote:
I suppose it's too much to expect that the A1/M62 junction has been updated on the new maps?

I've no idea as my brothers using the sat nav at the moment, far as I can tell its just a 2nd version of the 2004 maps so that they will be compatible with the new software / firmware thats been installed on the sat navs.

I'm still waiting for Navman to get back in touch with me as all the hipe and press that they've been saying is the new 2005 software, which when I asked them about the new maps they said yes they'll be released as well.

I will admit they are new maps, but its a 2nd version of 2004, NOT 2005.

I've just had a look at the cd's and it states on the left side Teleatlas 2004 data source. Evil or Very Mad

On Google Maps it states there Teleatlas 2005, so I guess googles using the most up-to-date maps. Evil or Very Mad
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky - loading my maps messed up the system and nothing works now... Evil or Very Mad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the m62/m1 link road that is still under construction and wont be on any maps untill 6 months after it is opened as this is most likey how long it wil be before teleatlas and navteQ get round to surveying the road

basicly it will be another m6 toll situation

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all, the website implies that the latest maps are available:
Quote:
The very latest SmartST 2005 navigation software for the iCN 600 series complete with one map region.

I know it only mentions SmartST navigation software as 2005, but the implication is that you would get the corresponding maps as well.
My email to Navman Stores stated:
Quote:
Can you advise when updated maps will be available for the ICN610? There are several changes to the roads that I have been using, although I notice from a friend's ICN 520 that the changes have been on the system for these.

Navman's reply to me was:
Quote:
we are expecting the latest Software & Maps to be stock within the next few weeks, these will appear on our website as soon as they are available.
Kind regards

By that I understood that the maps would be the latest available - and not simply the same maps as was supplied with the system when I purchased it. Fundamentally, this is wrong, and the description should clearly show that you are only paying for the same maps as you had in the first place. I know a refund is possibleif you haven't activated the product - but let's face it, how many people are going to read the small print on the CD before they install it? I think that most will notice when they use the system and that the roads haven't been changed..
I have an additional problem inasmuch that when loading the new software, it's completely messed up my ICN610, and it won't even start now. So I can't check the roads that I know were incorrect or missing.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job I checked this forum before shelling out 69 quid on ST2005!!
Navman are being very naughty insomuch as they do not say the maps are new but the inference is that they are because their sales blurb refers to improved routing. When you need a lawyer to check a sales blurb I think it's time to give up.

Description:

The very latest Navman SmartST 2005 software with access to one single map region for Western Europe.

You may choose which region you want to activate when installing this software (i.e UK & Ireland). SmartST 2005 now delivers an advanced address search and journey routing wizard improving the quality and accuracy of your navigation.
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Navman Maps Reply with quote

To be fair - Navman did say to me in an email:
Quote:
The maps you have purchased are the most up to date maps on the GPS Sat Nav European Market and have only been released 3 weeks ago. They are the 2005 maps but unfortunately in some areas it is 2004 as it take 18 months to make these maps.

I believe these to be the same maps as shipped with the ICN520.
highroyds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Navman Maps Reply with quote

Andycambs wrote:
To be fair - Navman did say to me in an email:
Quote:
The maps you have purchased are the most up to date maps on the GPS Sat Nav European Market and have only been released 3 weeks ago. They are the 2005 maps but unfortunately in some areas it is 2004 as it take 18 months to make these maps.

I believe these to be the same maps as shipped with the ICN520.

Laughing Out Loud thats a totally different email I got from them:

Quote:
The maps do say 2004 but they are the 2nd release, so they are the updated maps that come with the SmartST 2005

But on the phone they are totally different, they just say sorry sir you've already activated the maps so I'm affraid no refund. But you have to activate them before you can use them.

I did notice one part that I cant get to work in this new software and thats putting a PC SD card into a computer and putting the maps on that instead of always connecting the iCN. Now it asks you to always have the iCN to be connected when trying to do the maps. Evil or Very Mad

Since all this has happened I've decided to sell my iCN and the upgrade cd's, with the money I'll buy a better system.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: