Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google Maps -> POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Maps -> POIs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this on my pc, it seems that the functionality to convert directions works okay on the UK google maps but not for the business search to convert into POI's. Although it does seem to work on the USA maps at google.com
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minidish wrote:
I just tried it using IE 6 and Netscape Navigator 7.2 no problems with either, is it something related to your security settings Doug?

Best regards
Minidish

P.S thanks for sharing currymonster

It could be. One of the reasons I dumped IE was because couldn't get rid of the popup blocker (I did try changing security settings etc, but to no avail Crying or Very sad )

However, when you put something like 'swimming pools bradford' into the search field google returns a list of them on the left plus a map of their locations on the right in a different frame, I think. I've tried looking at the source code of the listing on the left but cannot find either the text or any locational data.

And yet when I run the GMap2POI bookmarklet it returns an error saying there is no extractable data on the page (quite correct to my mind).

What is (not) happening?
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
dougconran wrote:

Looks as though it will only work in Firefox Evil or Very Mad

all the more reason to switch then :D

I did switch but then found that Firefox couldn't do something that I wanted to do (can't remember what, now) and so went back to IE6 but then got even more fed up with that and so went to Opera. - Opera I love First
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really great. Im using IE6.

I put the link in my favourites.
Go to google maps. Type "Swimming pools bradford"
A selection of swimming pools in Bradford are displayed.
I open favourites and click on link, does not seem to work.

Realise , you need to have your favourites displayed , before you make your selection. Brilliant.

Note however, I have noticed that for Google maps in the UK the long lat are only to the nearest 100 meters. Unlike US and Canada which are more acurate. This should improve soon however.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Now I am confused. First it did not work, then it worked, then it didnt work again?

Seems to be a quirk with IE6, or google maps. Any ideas anyone know what might be happening.

P.S. Would be good if the postcode was extracted with the description.
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must the the source data on the UK Google maps for business searches as the US maps (google.com) and or UK directions (google.co.uk)work fine and I can only assume that if the US maps on google.com are ok then it cant be the security settings in ie6.

The bookmarklet works every time in ie6 for direction searches on the UK maps but not for business locations searches where it brings up the business search results on the left pane and the locations overlayed on the map on the right pane.

Depending on what bookmarklet I use I either get the same error message as in previous posts or one that say "nothing to extract".

Is there any coding gurus' out their that know whats happening as this is an incredibly useful and easy way of extracting POI's
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I've been playing around a bit with this. As far as I can make out the Google app that processes the search query checks to see what type of browser is being used. If it is one that supports IFRAME it then returns the data in a hidden iframe and this is where GMapToPOI picks the lat & longs up from. If you use an unsupported browser it just returns the data as normal html but then the bookmarklet can't find it because it is looking for the iframe Sad

What I haven't fathomed out is why GMapToPOI can pick up routing but not POIs. It seems to be looking for a <point> tag which I guess is not there but as the iframe is hidden there is no way that I can see what IS there - Oh well Rolling Eyes

Anyone got any ideas because this could be useful.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and some more.

I think the problem is that there is an error in currmonstor's Javascript although I have no idea what it is.

Anyway, I copied the original and hacked it about a bit and have come up with this which seems to work in Opera but still not in IE6 Bouncing - Oh well.

I guess there is still an error in the javascript somewhere but I don't use IE Laughing
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all very interesting stuff. It would be great if we could get this resolved.

more info on hidden Iframes please.
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Im probably being a bit thick but please would you explain exactly the problem you are trying to resolve, I've played with google maps a bit as they are used on my waypoint converter site which converts postcodes into waypoints and plots them on a google map.

When I coded it everything worked fine in Firefox and I had to recode to get it to work properly with IE, if this is the issue I may be able to help a little...

let me know.
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch that, just had another read through the topic and ran some of the examples so I at least understand what you are trying to do. Worked for me by the way (Firefox). I'll go away and have a play with IE
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good Mugwump, but how about House number and PostCode.

Also, How good is the data on Google-Maps for UK at present. From what I have checked out Google maps is the best available, All other sites can only give GPS locations based on a 100m square grid. But Google Maps is still not as accurate for UK as America and Canada where you can really pin-point a place. Seems they done America and Canada first then the UK.
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed Firefox and conversion now works a treat. Just watch for extra comma's in the business descriptions or it will throw out the csv when you try to load it into your GPS or POI edit
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gcb,

I dont use the google map data to generate the waypoints, I generate the waypoints first down to the full accuracy that a postcode will allow *then* plot them on a google map.

As a result any 100m restriction of google in converting/displaying your postcodes is irrelevant. The waypoint the site returns is as good as it can be.

Where did you read about / see the 100m accuracy?

Heres a sample conversion result from 3 sources using the same postcode as input....

Arrow Multimap gives
Lat: 51:33:51N (51.5641) Lon: 0:27:20W (-0.4555)

Arrow Streetmap gives
Lat: N51:33:51 ( 51.564101 ) Lon: W0:27:20 ( -0.455477 )

Arrow Google gives
Lat: 51.564049 Lon:-0.455463

As you can see, the answer from multimap might be viewed as less accurate (it has 2 decimal places less in the response), however because of the vagaries of postcodes and the co-ordinate conversion method you can see that streetmap and google dont agree beyond the accuracy provided by multimap anyway. 8O If you want very acurate positions dont rely on postcodes I guess.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streetmap.co.uk well its just useless at finding addresses.

Multimap. When you search by postcode on Multimap. Multimap locates the centre of the area that that postcode refers to. It gives a long , lat and coresponding X,Y. The long and lat only change when X and Y change. The long and lat correspond to the centre of that 100m square. The post code may cover areas outside the 100m square, The accuracy is not so good.

Google Maps for the USA and Canada seem to be very accurate as can be seen if you use this site http://geocoder.ca/

Type Wellington 3 Ottowa On. Now change the number incrementally 2,3,4 and see the long lat change acordingly and the arrow head moves down the street.

Multimap does not do this because the long Lat are only from the postcode not the house number as well.

This Canadian site uses a geocoder registered with google maps, I thought this was the way you were getting your data?

I read all the stuff on geocoder.us but Im not realy a web apps person and dont have my own website.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: