Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange.....but true or untrue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange.....but true or untrue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: was i off topic? Reply with quote

I hope i wasnt too far off topic by just talking about CP6 and the chances of its review........
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

Paul-m wrote:
another gripe is that the count down to a junction goes nicely down in Yards until it reaches 100 and then suddenly it switches to 500Ft and continues in feet. Why not stay in yards? the effort to prgram this feature is wasted and just adds another oddity to the user.

That is interesting, the mileage markers actually worked when I used it, counted down pefectly (in feet). I have not seen the strange routing, or should I say re-routing issue CP5 had where you would create a route and start driving, then decide to go a different way, CP5 would re-calc fine, but then would leave the old route as well as the new calculated route on the screen! really made a mess, in CP6, so far I have not seen it do this. The menu layout seems strange but not that bad, I do find that the routing seems better, however in the advanced setting were you can setup profiles and adjust by highway speeds to use, there is a problem it seems that when you have one set for more freeway and one for less freeway, it does not work right 100% of the time. I'm still playing with that one. I like the scrolling screen better than CP5 had and they seemed to fix the strange 2D/3D screen issue at the top when changing modes and leaving traces of one or the other at the top. The POI actually show up on the screen while driving and don't go away and report somewhat ok from what I have driven with it, fixed from CP5 so far.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of what dpdurst writes above is of course old ground, but there are a few points that I think do need addressing:

Quote:
... I can't wait to see what happens with CP6 and any review that comes out.

I imagine that if there are issues with any future review, and with posts arising from it, then they will be picked up by forum members. However, if the simple rules that I have suggested are followed, then such issues can no doubt be dealt with factually and quickly.

Quote:
... would that be any different than YOU doing a review and I find things that are not correct?

I would follow the simple rules that I suggested a couple of posts ago, not least that I would put up my hand immediately.

Quote:
Do you or anyone else have the same issue with Windows bugs, other software that has bugs?

Try reading the TomTom forum, where people express their dissatisfaction, and satisfaction, without the whole thing becoming dominated by personal insult and pointless sniping. Look, let’s get real. If there are problems then someone is going to complain, and, if they are serious and numerous enough, they may well condemn the entire product. Moreover, if someone writes in to deny that they exist, either outright or with half-truths, then someone else will jump on it.

Quote:
... discussions are fine, but one sided ones are just really funny read!

The need for everyone to try to see other possibilities, where they exist, is reflected in the simple rules that I have suggested. To what extent these suggestions are going to be taken up remains to be seen.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting what dpdurst & paul-m say about giving distances in feet, which I consider to be bizarre for road use.

Who in their right minds gives road distances in feet ? When asked for directions, do you say 'Go down the road for 325 feet, then turn left and continue for 425 feet....." etc. And how many road signs do you see in 'feet' ? "Railway Station 650 feet" ?

Another oddity of CoPilot.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
Who in their right minds gives road distances in feet ? When asked for directions, do you say 'Go down the road for 325 feet, then turn left and continue for 425 feet....." etc. And how many road signs do you see in 'feet' ? "Railway Station 650 feet" ?

Another oddity of CoPilot.

Baz

All US road signs give shorter distances in feet, usually in multiples of 100, like "left lane closed 500 ft ahead". I don't think I have ever seen yards (or meters) used on road signs here.

I'm not trying to prove we're in our right minds, that's just what I see.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it says a lot for the improvements within CP6 that people are quibbling over whether it should be yards or feet. Let's face it, anything is better than tenths of a mile.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a new user to CP6 i wasnt sure what to expect. I was refering to the countdown to the next turning in the top left corner. Im sure its an Americanism as someone said they use Ft a lot over there. Id prefer they kept it consistent rather than changing the measurement scale. The mileage markers work well too. I was interested to find the other views though. Destination mode is cool although if you are travelling south east you can end up hidden behind the countdown marker in the corner? Strange.
I havent yet found a way to have only selective POI warnings. e.g Im happy to be told about speed cameras but dont particularly need an on screen warning im getting near a tescos or something.! Also you have to wait for the warning to disappear or manually cancel it. A small but irritating oddity. Why cant it just overwrite the next turning area of the screen?

In use today it worked fine. the only thing i found was the Live functionality. Im not sure how many people will use this but it doesnt seem to save any email addresses you invite to monitor you. This means you have to enter an email address while driving or make a special stop. Fat fingers or not its messy to enter an email address using the key map in copilot.
I also imported the pocketgpsworld speed camera file. easy enough if you go to the support forum on the ALK website.
just copy the 'ov2' and BMP file to the copilot save directory on your PPC and when you next run copilot it automatically imports it.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m wrote:

Quote:
I ...dont particularly need an on screen warning im getting near a tescos or something

If you go to Settings-POI Alerts, you'll find an Enable toggle for all POIs, but further down there is a list of POI types with individual check boxes.

There's also a facility to report only POIs on the route or all that are near the route - and the facility to specify how far away a POI has to be to be alerted.

HOWEVER, it does appear that all categories of Custom POI are controlled by a single check box, which would explain what you describe. This is unfortunate, and surely ALK will want to change it when they produce the first patch.

I have had little other trouble with this so far, but in a couple of instances the alert has not happened despite the POI being clearly shown on the screen. I have tested to make sure this occurs consistently in one location. Not having travelled widely since receiving CP 6, I can't yet say whether it is a common problem.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

I did actually sort the problem out. I read the menu again and discovered that as Ponderous says you can set the warning for each individual poi. also if you expand the poi category you can then select an individual custom poi to produce the warning. I dont like the warning though. it takes up the whole screen for some time before timing out unless i acknowledge it.

The choice of which POIs to display though is limited to an all or nothing type approach.

otherwise nothing much else to report except that it works quite well and appears robust.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul-m. I hadn't noticed the +/- toggle to expand/contract the custom category.

I'll venture to use the above exchange as an example of what I had in mind earlier on this thread:

It is of course a little embarrassing to find that all is not as I suggested. However, immediate acknowledgement of the fact completes the discussion. The discussion itself was worthwhile because it got Paul-m and me experimenting, which produced the right answer in the end. Other choices of action would have achieved nothing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: