Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - windscreen mounting sucker method - is it legal?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

windscreen mounting sucker method - is it legal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: windscreen mounting sucker method - is it legal? Reply with quote

just seen on another general topic forum a comment from a member there that this guys friend had been done by police (£30 fine quoted) for having sucker mounting for sat nav attached to his windscreen - reason - not allowed to have anything on the windscreen that is within the sweep of the wiper - impairs view !!. Anyone know of this ? - as yet another reason in this police / nanny state country of ours to bleed motorists of more money.

strikes me most rearview mirror attachments breah this too plus road tax holder !!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thinks this mainly has to do with putting the nav directly in front of you which isnt a good idea the bes thing to do is to mount it in the centre at the bottom or slightly to the left of centre.

Being a truc driver i occasionally get stopped by vosa )veihcle and operator service agency) formally the dept for transport for a spot veihcle inspect at the road side my nav system is mounted on dash but ive never had any problems from them or with the police

the best thing to do is read the instructions for mounting the satnav where is safe ie dosent obscure your veiw but is still in glanceing veiw

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: windscreen mounting sucker method - is it legal? Reply with quote

Nigbo wrote:
just seen on another general topic forum a comment from a member there that this guys friend had been done by police (£30 fine quoted) for having sucker mounting for sat nav attached to his windscreen - reason - not allowed to have anything on the windscreen that is within the sweep of the wiper - impairs view !!. Anyone know of this ? - as yet another reason in this police / nanny state country of ours to bleed motorists of more money.

strikes me most rearview mirror attachments breah this too plus road tax holder !!

See this thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32935 below for more information. Wink
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi read my post.
GPS users could be fined up to £1000
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Nigbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for ur replies guys - yet more evidence i shud becum an expat once more - fcuk the police & Bliar
Nigbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - can anyone recommend a holder that can mount an icn 510 on the dashboard? Would have to be something that is self adhesive - sucker no good on my Jeep Grand Cherokee dash - surface is too grainy to hold a sucker type. Suppose I could try removing thr sucker from existing mount and use the 2 magnets type used for phones. Anyone tried this method?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigbo wrote:
So - can anyone recommend a holder that can mount an icn 510 on the dashboard? Would have to be something that is self adhesive - sucker no good on my Jeep Grand Cherokee dash - surface is too grainy to hold a sucker type. Suppose I could try removing thr sucker from existing mount and use the 2 magnets type used for phones. Anyone tried this method?

I've got a Fiat Ducato Motorhome and I have fitted a small square of clear polycarbonate to the top surface of the dash with those double sided sticky pads you can buy in Smiths. I then stick the Navman sucker mount to that. One reason (apart from the safety angle) is that the heater vents blow straight up the window and heat the Navman up too much. This system also brings the device nearer to me so that I don't have to squint to see the display!! Simple but it works. Wink

I guess the same idea could be used to stick the sucker mount on any flat or vertical surface - do you have room on the Cherokee dash Question
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
I have tried to find some info on this topic apart from my original post from the Daily Mail.
I have found 2 links below that apply to an area of the windscreen that is referenced to zone A. if I am not mistaken then this area is a No Go zone for anything.
The first link explains this; the second has a diagram to indicate this area.
http://www.getinlane.com/page78.php
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm
I hope this is of help to all concerned.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodit (www.brodit.com) do a good bracket for the 510. They have 2 parts - one for the device, and the other specific to your car. There are other posts in this forum discussing where to buy them in the UK.
MikeHCFC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I saw your post, and thought this may help. I have a VW New Beetle, and the windscreen is so far away, you cant reach it ! My dash in the bug is also grainy type, but I found a flat plastic disk on ebay, designed just for the purpose of dash mounting. It has a peel off film on on side, where the disk is really good and adheres well, the other side (the top) is really really shiny like a glass mirror, and holds the suction cup perfectly firm !

It costs .... wait for it, ... 1.99 ! Its brilliant and perfect for the job. The seller to search for on ebay is lindens and no, that is NOT me !!

Item number is 5851617387

Let me know what you think !
Mike
Nigbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys - will check it all out - ebay sounds perfect if the guy is still selling the item
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeHCFC wrote:
Hi
I saw your post, and thought this may help. I have a VW New Beetle, and the windscreen is so far away, you cant reach it ! My dash in the bug is also grainy type, but I found a flat plastic disk on ebay, designed just for the purpose of dash mounting. It has a peel off film on on side, where the disk is really good and adheres well, the other side (the top) is really really shiny like a glass mirror, and holds the suction cup perfectly firm !

It costs .... wait for it, ... 1.99 ! Its brilliant and perfect for the job. The seller to search for on ebay is lindens and no, that is NOT me !!

Item number is 5851617387

Let me know what you think !
Mike

Hmmm...looks good. Two questions tho, if you have previously applied various products to the dash to keep it shiny, will the disk still adhere as the surface of the dash becomes a bit slippery with Armour All on it.

And if I want to remove the disc one day when I give the car back to the lease co, can I get it off the dash with little damage or residue?
Nigbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered the ebay disc ! Many thanks guys

lease co. - for £1.99 - leave it there !!
filgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did in my Grand Cherokee, the gps works perfectly in this position and looks in my opinion almost as if it's OEM.

[/img][url]www.tinypic.com/kducrc.jpg

Contact me for more pics and details via PM

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: