Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 700 or
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 700 or

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 700 or Reply with quote

Apologies as this is yet another "what would you buy" threads

I have been using a Garmin SPIII in the car for years for navigation in the UK running City Navigator 6 .. I loaded up the safety camera Database into it a few months ago, but as you all know the SPIII does not have the ability to audibly warn on approaching a POI .. so the SPIII only provides visual indication of the cameras ... Unfortunatly this morning a NIP arrived for 36mph in a 30 Zone Sad I knew I had been flashed so was expecting it .. It was a classic I was watching the road, camera hidden behind trees, was not looking at the SPIII, following traffic etc etc. Own stupid fault .. To add to my "injury" the day I was flashed was my birthday as well Sad

Its made me decide I need a new in Car GPS and therefore am looking for fellow users advice on picking a unit.. I really like the routing and functionality of the SPIII (I also have 2 Garmin Vs which are used for geocaching) .. I don't want to just add a "road angel" or similar as I need the routing GPS and would like to do it all in one

Consideration is one of the new Garmins StreetPilots which now has a POI warning capability or the TomTom Go 700 ... Any one played with both of these ????

Requirements
1. Audible warning of Safety cameras and visual indication of what they are ie speed
2. Uk and European mapping with auto routing and turn by turn verbal directions
3. Route to POI, route to Address, route to ZipCode
4. As I also Geocache therefore the unit has to also allow me to manually add a lat/long and route to it .. ie park here co-ordinates .. Dont intend to use it to geocache (thats what the Vs are for) .. just to get to the parking

I cant work out if the TomTom Go 700 allows me to plan a route to a specific Lat / Long ... also I am puzzled as to why I see so many POI add ons such as petrol stations, Restaurants etc ... is this because the inbuilt POI info is so bad ??
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 700 or Reply with quote

gdavison wrote:
I cant work out if the TomTom Go 700 allows me to plan a route to a specific Lat / Long

It is possible to create your own POI on a PC and then transfer the ov2 file to the GO, but as the GO is a road navigation device it will route you to the nearest available road only. You could then change to Browse Map and this would be able to show your progress 'off road', but it's not very elegant, or user friendly.
gdavison wrote:
... also I am puzzled as to why I see so many POI add ons such as petrol stations, Restaurants etc ... is this because the inbuilt POI info is so bad ??

Spot on. Some are way, way out.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Richard ... looks like its a newer Garmin for me then ..

Best G
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdavison wrote:

Best G

Of course the fact that the latest Streetpilot Garmins dont allow you to add a waypoint as a lat / long on the unit scuppers that idea ... Sad
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdavison wrote:
gdavison wrote:

Best G

Of course the fact that the latest Streetpilot Garmins dont allow you to add a waypoint as a lat / long on the unit scuppers that idea ... Sad

Garmin C-series (c310 & c320) allows you to do add waypoints either on the unit while navigating or using the mapsource software on your PC.
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the C330 / 340 units ??

I looked at the Online manuals and could not see a way to do it ...
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdavison wrote:
What about the C330 / 340 units ??

I looked at the Online manuals and could not see a way to do it ...

I am not sure to be honest but I know that they basically run the same core software. You can look at Garmin.com and in the update section read the history of developing the unit software and you should find it added in the more recent versions of the software. For the c320 you can see that this was added in version 4.7 for example. You can also drop Garmin a line to ask. I am sure however that it wouldn't be on the manual as this came as part of their software update. Hope this helps.
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the answer was (at First) a TomTomGo 700 .. then after it tried to route me up a one way street in Wokingham the wrong way (which has been one way for > 15 years) and attempted to route me off the M40 on a Police access road ... I sent it back and got the C340 ..

The C340 safey camera function is just what i wanted - warns as you approach, then beeps a lot if you are > than the defined camera speed,... The routing is Excellent and City Nav 8 has my street on it :D .. first digital map series i ahve ever seen my my home street on it (as its an Unadopted street)
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been researching these things a lot recently and would have to lean towards the GO 700. It is getting the best reviews of the bunch and overall seems to be more reliable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: