Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motorcycle adaptation - Tried and tested
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorcycle adaptation - Tried and tested

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Motorcycle adaptation - Tried and tested Reply with quote

Well,
after making the required adjustments to Marge last week or so i decided to take her for a spin on Saturday gone to see how things faired up.

Firstly the female jack plug i soldered into the unit works a treat, volume 3 was sufficient enough, even at national speed limit, very pleased.

Secondly,the modified mount to fit the bike was superb, no rattles, movement etc, very pleased with it.

Finally, My own poi's, i used google earth to find somewhere new to go and took the co-ord from here, translated them via streetmap, then onto the i3. - now the difference between mapping from google, to streetmap then to the i3 varied around 25ft, so not disasterous by any way whatsoever. (i done two routes, one which was known to me and the other a new one). - the route i knew did take me a completely different way to which i normally go, typically i would have travelled 19 miles to it, the i3 took me to it in exactly 13, the new route was 'rougher' for a sportsbike, but nevertheless a lot shorter! and more pleasant!

All in all a very handy little package now, not sure if i've mentioned it before but im off to Arran in the summer Wink 8) and im already building a database for the island on the i3 thanks to google earth.

Roll on the summer!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear it works OK. I'm not sure how durable, in the long term, the i3 will be when exposed to the sort of vibration you get on a bike. I'm not just talking about engine vibration but more the exposure to shock the ride generally being less plush than in a car.

I would like try my i3 on my bike and will probably do so in the fullness of time. We'll keep an eye out for any problems you may encounter.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas,

Vibration was and still is a concern, if anyone has any practicle thoughts on this then id welcome them gladly.

for the benefit of new folks, i managed to get hold of a spare mount like for like, i simply drilled a hole in the base plate and fed a screen mount bolt through it on the motrcycle, maybe i could sandwich between the suction cup and bike a piece of sponge? Dunno, any thoughts anyone, Mr G, you reading this?
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Chas,

Vibration was and still is a concern, if anyone has any practicle thoughts on this then id welcome them gladly.

all i can think of is that it's cheap enough to replace ;)
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

all i can think of is that it's cheap enough to replace ;)

True, as long as i get more than a year out of Marge, id hate to be replacing her every few weeks, in the same breath i'll only use her for new territory, not to get to places i already know! Wink
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

gilesme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"maybe i could sandwich between the suction cup and bike a piece of sponge?"

You could try making a pad out of the rubbery bit on the underside of a mouse mat ? I use one in the boot of my car to stop my folding bike ruibbing the trim.

Another alternative (as you're a biker) is the stuff they pad bike leathers with. Mate got some custom leathers made with some special foam inserted that absorbed impact incredibly well - could do the same for vibration reduction ?
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilesme wrote:

Another alternative (as you're a biker) is the stuff they pad bike leathers with. Mate got some custom leathers made with some special foam inserted that absorbed impact incredibly well - could do the same for vibration reduction ?

Now theres food for thought! thanks my friend, i'll dig out my old gear and have a look at that! Wink
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it, but the i3 has no moving parts, no hard drive, etc. and I couldn't see any point in protecting it from vibration. Mine's on a low CC V-twin with not great suspension (SV650) so I figured if it doesn't suffer any ill effects on mine, it won't on less vibration-prone bikes.

It may also help that it uses the ball and socket, as that offers some sort of movement between the bike and the i3, but I doubt it's a huge amount.

I'd say the i3 gets a more plush ride on the bike than in the car though - the car tends to bounce around more and hit more potholes than the bike.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: