Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaIceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des,

it's not just the drawing of the map, it's a series of things. If you have read the posts, you will have noticed that additional POIs will create even more BT connection stability and, if you read my post, you will have noticed that the BT hardware part of the GPS receiver plays also an important role in stability - not all BT GPS receivers have an ideal BT section for the N70. It is obvious that there is a stability problem when using TomTom and BT GPS: the way TT5 handles the BT connection to the GPS evidently is very time consuming for the CPU - but you don't notice this on the screen as the maps are drawn and updated without problems while navigating. Also, maybe you 'venoticed, if you put your phone in offline mode, the BT connection is even more stable, but the phone then is useless for incoming calls!

There is an enormous difference between different BT GPS sets, not regarding precision but just the BT connection stability. The best I have tried is the original TT MKII GPS (uses a SirfIII chipset for GPS).

It all comes down to optimization at this point. I hope they will optimise the TT5 app as much as possible to cut down on the CPU overhead. At this point this is the only way to get a stable connection - the phone is already loaded enough with all the services running in the background. Either that, or they have to find a way to prioritize the BT connection more (give it a higher runlevel).

Luke
SydEx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: TomTom Voice Guidance Not Working When Connected to BT Heads Reply with quote

This is my first post, as a newbie. I have searched through the posts to try to find an answer to my problem, but think that this is the most relevant post. Apologies if it is not.

I have a Vodafone Nokia N70, straight out of the box, no firmware upgrade. I have TomTom Mobile, straight out of the box, with TomTom's latest GPS Rx.

On their own, the N70 and TomTom work superbly, with no crashes or hangups, and clear voice instructions.

However, with TomTom running, if I connect to my Bluetooth enabled car handsfree kit (Ford Audio) (effectively a BT headset), the Voice Guidance stops working. TomTom continues to work, but no voice emanates from the phone speaker, or from the car stereo. As soon as I disconnect from the car BT kit, the voice guidance returns.

My question is, do others still get TomTom voice guidance when connected to a BT headset? Or, do I need a firmware upgrade?

I would be grateful for help from this knowledgable group of people. I have had no help from Ford, Nokia or TomTom to date!
DaIceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I just posted 4 paragraphs of stuff, but this lovely forum said I couldn't post HTML tags which I didn't and lost my post!
Long story short, try connecting your voice set before launching yoru TT5 app, then launch TT5 and turn your GPS on and get it connected. If this fails, get your N70 upgraded to latest version.
To check your firmware version dial asterisk hash 0000 hash (I have to spell them or the forum won't let me post). The latest is 5.0616.2.0.3.
Remember to back your settings up using the backup feature of the memory card (settings - memory - options -backup) because they will be lost with your numbers (on your phone) when you upgrade.

Luke
dieseldes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luke

I would have replied to your post earlier but my laptop (lazurus!) has died for the final time while I was trying to reply Crying or Very sad!
I take all your points and they make sense...

I just noticed that when I went in to status mode where alll the satellites were monitored, I had a far more stable system, no visible map , but all the voice commands came through reliably. which at that time I needed. Also most people seem to be restarting when it freezes, I find putting into status mode after a few seconds it gets the signal and runs OK. then returning to map it's back to freezing again.

Glad you pointed out the offline mode, the next time I was flying to Brum I was hoping to take the GPS and see what it was like from the plane, the latest restrictions put the blockers on that though Crying or Very sad

I would agree on the other post, I have a bluetooth headset and the only way it works with TomTom is to switch it on first, then running TomTom and the GPS unit.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's a new update from home option. See my other post. Lets see if v5 firmware makes a little difference for me... although v3 was okay.
DaIceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes rtj, you are correct. You can download the software from Nokia's page here:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/softwareupdate

Before you update, let me remind you of the follwing points:

- backup your settings using the memory card backup feature, it's the safest way to go

- The Nokia update software WILL NOT UNBRAND your phone

- Branded phones may not have the latest Nokia unbranded firmware available due to contract agreements between Nokia and other operators (3, Orange, TIM, etc) due to obvious reasons.

- it is not necessary to remove your MMC from your phone to flash it, it won't be touched.

- flashing/upgrading your phone obviously will not unlock it if it is locked to an operator (not even using phoenix software)

- The update will take approx 15 minutes and the phone will go blank during the update. Wait until the app finished. Keep your phone plugged in the charger and if you have a PC better if you have it on a UPS.

- The update software will need an internet connection because the app identifies your phone (even if the Nokia website asks you what phone you have) and connects to a Nokia server to download the appropriate firmware

- BE CAREFUL if you have bought the phone in a foreign country. The IMEI and firmware type will be looked up in the Nokia database and as such can cause you to loose certain languages that may not be needed to reduce the firmware image size. So if you have an unbranded Nokia firmware but you bought it out of your country for ex., you may loose your native language (Italian, French for ex.). English is the basic language so the EURO firmware always has this. However all the additional languages that the EURO1 firmwar package has may not be available. Please keep this in mind.

So, thanks to this, people can update their phone to the latest "official" release. Not all phones are supported yet, but the N70 is and a most of 66xx are apparently.

This sais, happy upgrading!
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tried it... and is said failed but phone okay. Knowing under warranty I tried again and after a longer time it said failed but it seems to have worked fine.

Of course you need to backup etc. No different to popping into a Nokia approved centre. You will lose data and settings.
eismarsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: N70 nokia firmware update. TT mobile 5.200 Reply with quote

cornz wrote:
Had my n70 updated to 5.0616.2.0.3. dated 24-04-06
Also, this is nokias firmware, not my service providers. I'll see if i have any joy with this one....Fingers crossed.

I have tried to updated via the Nokia site at:

[url]http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/softwareupdate [/url]

As per DaIceMan (thanks), but the updater tells me that N70 v3,0546.2.3 is the latest ! see above.

Cornz, did you check this version with the *#0000# on your N70, is it updated to 5.0616.2.0.3. dated 24-04-06 , has it resolved the issues, as my N70 is crashing with TomTom, where as my Nokia 6630 is absolutely briliant Smile , I can still change the mmc card back into the 6630 and it is fine (all same as below), yet N70... is crap !!! Evil or Very Mad .

Does anyone else have a later version than the Nokia site and if so where did they get it ? (I am with network o2..)

TT mobile V 5.200 (443)
GPS driver 1.20
GB map v605
GPS receiver BTGPS74R (holox)

Thanks.[/url]
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm I got the Vodafone version of V 5.0609.2.0.1 dated 01-03-06 via the online update. Previous on V 3.0546.2.3 I think.
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just updated my firmware from Generic V 5.0609.2.0.1 (installed by my local Nokia service centre) to Orange V 5.0616.2.0.3 via the URL above

I was expecting another Generic firmware but it didn't give me a choice or warning about what firmware it was installing

will be travelling to Newcastle today (350 miles) so will see if this has made a difference to TomTom stability

one thing I have noticed is I can't change the soft keys anymore (unless you know otherwise)

Garmin Zumo 390LM
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tested TomTom with the new firmware and it made little difference to the random loss of connectivity
the only noticeble difference was the time to recover, which seems much shorter, now 10 to 15 seconds where as it used to take at least 30 seconds

Garmin Zumo 390LM
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to v3 it was such an improvement and so with v5 I cannot comment yet. Used it for a 2 hour one way and a 1.5 hour return journey. But then I did the same on v3 firmware.

But I have a proper fixed phone kit so only BT is to the Navman GPS receiver. Maybe this makes difference?
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just got my first 3G phone (N70) and have TomTom Mobile 5 for it as well.

Is there a recommended BT GPS receiver ?

From what I have read, it seems that TT Mobile works fine on a N70 provided (i) POI's are turned off (or minimal) and (ii) no other BT device is connected to the phone at the same time.

Is this correct ?

Also, is it possible to use TomTom and receive calls at the same time ?

Regards,

Adam Brunt
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you cannot purchase TT mobile without a BT GPS receiver from TomTom, perhaps we shouldn't ask how you came by TT Mobile then.

Any BT GPS receiver will work but if you haven't already got one then one using the sirf III chipset is best. Check out reviews on this site and try one of the links to the right.

And yes you can make and receive calls whilst using TT mobile.
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtj70 wrote:
Since you cannot purchase TT mobile without a BT GPS receiver from TomTom, perhaps we shouldn't ask how you came by TT Mobile then.

Not at all ... I see lots of posters on here whose signatures say they are using TTM5 but not with the TT GPS ??

rtj70 wrote:

Any BT GPS receiver will work but if you haven't already got one then one using the sirf III chipset is best. Check out reviews on this site and try one of the links to the right.

Is ebay normally a good source for GPS receivers ??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: