Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warmasice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

contracts wrote:
warmasice wrote:
I have been reading these posts for a while. Decided to buy an N70 anyway.. what a wrong move it was! I have a Fortuna Clip-On GPS unit which works perfect on my 02 XDA PDA...

...but im getting the same "No GPS device" message and TomTom just freezes!.. and i have to restart the phone - this sometimes means taking the battery out!

so can someone confirm if:

1) Selecting the "Hide POI" prevent these crashes?

2) and also, is anyone here on Orange but have a higher version of firmware than v2?

All i can say is... aargggghh!!
Evil or Very Mad

You need to read further back in the posts where your question has been answered many times. However, I am on Orange and was on v 2.0537.1.7 which is their firmware. It's awful. Apart from all the issues outlined, the menu's and home screen are crap. I got it flashed to the latest Nokia generic v3.0546.2.3 and although not perfect, it's loads better. Much quicker through the vastly improved menu.s, much more stable with TT and loads better to use. I also sold my BT-77 and bought the official TT gps which works almost perfectly.

Well i read the posts and haven't found anything conclusive. as you state in an earlier post "No one seems certain whether it's the N70, TTM or both that are at fault."..

..so im just as confused as everyone else is. anyone help?
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do and on version 3 it has been an improvement to be fair.
When and where did you get your version 5 update done. Was it a nokia service centre and if so, which one?
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: N70, TomTom ver 5.2 and NO GPS DEVICE. GOOD NEWS Reply with quote

johnfretwell wrote:
I have a N70 and just got a new version installed on my N70:

V 5.0609.2.0.1
01-03-06
AM-84

Even with this version the gps device still dropped out now and again for 2 to 4 seconds at a time. This only happens now and again so you can easily use the N70 with TomTom with this version.

ON A BETTER NOTE FOR ALL:
I have since bought a TomTom MKII gps receiver and it is brilliant. I have done around 8 trips of a few miles each so far and the N70 has not showed "no gps device" at all.

I am doing a long trip on Monday and normally the N70 will lose the gps device at least 6 times. I now suspect that it will not lose it at all.

This dramatic performance increase could be the relationship between version 5 on the N70 and the TomTom gps receiver but i suspect it will work with version 3.

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN N70 WITH A TOMTOM GPS RECEIVER ?

Yes I use one and on version 3 software it has improved. Where and when did you get your version 5 update. Wasit a nokia service centre and if so which one.
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warmasice - I've an Orange N70 on V3 firmware, WITH the Orange HomeScreen. But it hasn't helped the problems with 'No GPS Device'.

johnfretwell - apart from your TomTom GPS, what other receiver did you use? If I read right, the V5 is better than V3 as in less frequent dropouts? Or the same?

Cheers,
Jon
Moopy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had problems with Tomtom mobile 5 with Nokia 7610, the signal would drop out for no reason. I was using the bt 338 bluetooth gps receiver. I then borrowed my friends Tomtom MkII reciever and never had a a dropped signal again !

I recently upgraded to an N70 and brought the full retail version of Tomtom mobile 5 and have never had a problem with it.. No dropped signal, not even had the phone crash while running tomtom. The N70 is also a lot quicker at calculating long distance routes compared with the 7610.

I would recommend buying the full tomtom kit (around 150 if you look around) or just buy the Tomtom MKII receiver from ebay (between 50-80).

If anyone needs any help contact me directly at karldwmoore@hotmail.co.uk and i will try and help you out !
Moopy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also i tested the bt 338 bluetooth gps aganst Tomtom MkII over the same route (Birmingham to Lichfield), using a friends phone and i found the signal strength was always better with the Tomtom receiver, i.e. 2 bars compared with Full strength with the MK II, also the bt 338 bluetooth gps would drop out where as the MKII never did once !

Maybe the bt 338 bluetooth gps receiver was faulty.. I do not know.. Sold it and got the MKII
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Moopy"]I also had problems with Tomtom mobile 5 with Nokia 7610, the signal would drop out for no reason. I was using the bt 338 bluetooth gps receiver. I then borrowed my friends Tomtom MkII reciever and never had a a dropped signal again !

Hi Moopy

Like you, I sold my BT-77 and bought the TT Mk II and it is loads better. I do however still get "No GPS Device" occassionally but nowhere near as much. Out of interest, I have a couple of questions
1. What firmware is on your N70
2. If you look at Version in TT, what gps driver version does it state. Mine says v1.20
Moopy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My firmware is version:

V 3.0546.2.3 18-11-05 RM-84

App version 5.200 (443) with GPS Driver v1.20
Map: Great Britain V605

I have only had the N70 a 3 weeks on O2, but i have never had a problem with MKII on either 7610 (used for about 9 months before N70) or the N70...
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moopy wrote:
Hi,

My firmware is version:

I have only had the N70 a 3 weeks on O2, but i have never had a problem with MKII on either 7610 (used for about 9 months before N70) or the N70...

Thanks for that. My set up is
App version 5.202(443)
GPS driver v1.20
Map: Great Britain Plus v632

I used to use map v605 so may revert to it again in case it's that causing the occassional problem with GPS connection. Everything else seems the same as yours.

Starnge thing is, if you look at the TT site where they have the 5.2 update, they show a screen image that states GPS driver v 1.21, but no one seems to be able to get it.
Moopy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contracts wrote:
Moopy wrote:
Hi,

My firmware is version:

Thanks for that. My set up is
App version 5.202(443)
GPS driver v1.20
Map: Great Britain Plus v632

I used to use map v605 so may revert to it again in case it's that causing the occassional problem with GPS connection. Everything else seems the same as yours.

Starnge thing is, if you look at the TT site where they have the 5.2 update, they show a screen image that states GPS driver v 1.21, but no one seems to be able to get it.

Just contacted tomtom about the GPS driver update, here is what they said:

We have no driver updates available for the GPS receiver at this moment.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

So looks like that image is a FAKE Laughing Out Loud
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my N70 back from Nokia today (flash failed in store - and it was not CPW before somebody asks but is one of the Premier centres for the 8800, of which there are only 13 in the UK so they can't be that bad a store).

It's got the V 3.0546.2.3 firmware, not V 5. But it's still branded with Vodafone modifications, and I actually quite liked that theme. The logo at the top of the screen now fits so I don't have to remove the graphic this time.

On to testing, using my Navman 4410 BT GPS receiver (which I've had over 2 years):

- Took a drive for about 1.5 hours (a reasonablt lengthy route on motorways around Manchester to ensure swapped cells etc.)
- Received a few calls and all seemed okay.
- Just before 1 hour up, voice announcement was slowed down but the next time it was okay.
- Then soon after I got another call and after the call ended the map was not updating and then said 'No GPS...' Not sure if it was signal or device lost because driving. Then it fixed itself in a few seconds.
- Around 1.5 hours into journey, lost GPS device and when I checked the Navman device about a minute later (driving remember so had to stop) it was actually off... hmm... it auto-powers off after 5 minutes of non-connection so maybe the device was to blame this time?

So all in all not too bad but not a long journey as such. Other points to note:

- When it failed I took the N70 out of its cradle and it was hot at the rear. Not sure if that's a charging or high CPU use issue
- I had display POI off but had the Pocketgpsworld speed cameras in their speed zoned format enabled. Might try the single file to see if it makes a difference.

Rob
Kris_Stuart69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I am looking to download TomTom software to work correctly with my Nokia N70. Does anyone have the working link for this? Please post it or PM me the link.

thanks in advance.
on-nick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Further things Reply with quote

rtj70, let us all know if you get on better with the single file version of the POI's. I am so far upto about 6 longish trips 1hr + with no drop outs.....

I am now convinced it is the phone at fulat. I have bought a BT dngle for my PC (for diary updates etc) and thought I would transfer some music across by BT - Wrong - drop out city, oh hum

Nick
Penfold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called O2 again today and they are going to replace my N70. I was speaking to someone that worked for a large agent company and he said that the N70 has known bluetooth faults and although Nokia are recognising it they are not putting it down in writing. This is old news you may say, but when I called O2 over a month ago they wouldn't replace my N70 so something must have changed in the last month. I got the phone in January and went through all the issues with O2, Nokia & a couple of service centres but mine had v3 of the firmware when I got it so nothing was ever done apart from a restore of the phone which I am sure many have tried, yeah seems to work for a while but then soon screws up again.
So although we are no further in getting this issue resolved which personally I think never will be with the N70 (so all upgrade to the N80 when it comes out) I will at least get another phone to try out to get the same problems again. I will post back my results next week.
Penfold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sorry, forgot to mention that my Jabra BT 200 will pair no problem with the phone but I can't actually make any calls using it, used to be able to but not any more. It still works fine on my Nokia 3230

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 14 of 25

Jump to: