Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Use with Bluelogger from Delorme?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Use with Bluelogger from Delorme?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Use with Bluelogger from Delorme? Reply with quote

I just ordered a Palm TX and am researching adding GPS capability. I have used Street Atlas for many, many years, currently with SA2006 and their USB Earthmate. As I've researched options for my TX, my leaning at this point is toward the TomTom Navigator 5 software. (Any opinions on relative strengths/weaknesses here appreciated, since no purchase has been made yet.)

With reference to the GPS Receiver, I'm leaning toward Delorme's Bluelogger. For one reason, I can run it independently of the software on the Palm, and it will keep a log internally (scheduled according to your own preferences). Then I can later access the data on either Laptop or Palm. One application is for when I'm out shooting (photography) I can just stick it on my belt, and not have to mess with my PDA. I can then later correlate the logged data with the date/time stamp in the digital image's EXIF data, and have a precise location for where any shot was taken.

So, this leads to 2 questions:

1. Does the TomTom GPS receiver have any internal logging capability, independent of the PDA and software?

2. Will the Delorme Bluelogger work with the TomTom Nav5 software on my TX? Delorme's site describes it as an "NMEA 2.0-compliant 12-channel receiver...WAAS enabled...SiRF starIIe/LP low-power GPS chip set."

Any other suggestions, information, experience relative to my situation greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Don Cohen
DLC Photography
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to edit posts, apparently, so some additional info:

I'm in the U.S.

I created an identity at TomTom's support website, and posted these questions to them 2 days ago. No reply yet. That in and of itself is worrisome - if they're not too responsive to users considering a purchase, I'd think they'd be less responsive once they had their money. But maybe they're just real busy, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. But wanting an answer a.s.a.p. thought I'd try here.

Thanks again.

Don Cohen
DLC Photography
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. no

2. yes

The BlueLogger is a very good receiver, particularly with its huge data memory. However, it's no longer cutting edge. Nowadays receivers with SiRF III chipset are en vogue, because they perform much better than anything else (including the BlueLogger). Unfortunately none of them have a data logger feature yet.

You cannot compare SA200x and TomTom Navigator, they play in completely different leagues. TTN is lightyears ahead of SA200x .

TomTom do indeed have some issues with their support, but they are staffing aggressively, and have promised to improve their responsiveness. In addition you can use this forum - here you get answers quickly.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

Many thanks for the prompt and helpful reply.

Sounds like it'll be the Bluelogger and TTN5 combination for me. I don't think my personal needs require "cutting edge" GPS performance, and it looks like this gear should be more than enough.

Any other thoughts and suggestions appreciated before I shell out a few hundred dollars more. Confused

Don
DLC Photography

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: