Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Customised POI voice alerts on iCN520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Customised POI voice alerts on iCN520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davebbrannigan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Customised POI voice alerts on iCN520 Reply with quote

I had posted a response to an instruction regarding customising voice alerts but have heard nothing from anyone so I thought I'd bring this subject up to date with my latest findings in a new thread. When I first tried adding soundfiles to the "MYPOI" directory of my memory card and editing the ini file for that POI to read "soundfile=<filename>.wav I found that the POI's gave me voice alerts as expected, but the voice navigation instructions stopped coming. At that time I edited the .ini files back to original and sure enough the voice directions started again. Having just uploaded this months newest database I thought I'd again try and customise the POI alerts and after having tried it this evening I can report that again, the voice instructions for directions cease to function. As Dilemma was the guy to post these instructions, I am hoping that he will see this post and possily suggest a solution. If not he then someone else who's had success with this, otherwise I guessI will stick to the "Bing Bong" sound and be happy with what I have. Question
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebbrannigan

Just read your post. Oddly I did not come across this problem, but must confess that shortly after posting the thread I bought a Sony NVX-P1 (iCN 650 copy), and reset my 510 back to default settings as am currently trying to sell it.

However, as I am off work for a couple of days next week I will download the files again, and try and recreate what you have seen, and will will let you know how I get on.
davebbrannigan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time and effort, I appreciate that!

I note that you mention you have a 510. From reading other posts I got the impression that one of the differences between the 510 and the 520 which I have is the newer version of SmartST that ships with the 520. It may be that this newer version see's conflicts when lines are added to the personal POI's. There must be a file somewhere telling it to play the default bing bong for all POI's and this may need to be removed or modified to allow an alternative to be set? It could be that our file structure is different such that it may work on your's but not mine?

Anyhow I look forward to your findings, and again thanks for your efforts.

Dave
navmanguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Can you post how to do this and I will give it a try.
Looked for ini files in mypoi but couldnt see them
davebbrannigan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHilst connected to your PC browse for the "Mobile device" then the sub directory called MyPoi. Provided that you have actually stored some personal POI's such as teh camera database, you will see 4 files associated with each one. One of these files is like a notepad with a Gear on it. That is teh .ini file. First you need to add your custom .wav file to this folder. You can either use one from the pocketGSP camera database download, or make your own with teh windows sound recorder on your PC. Drag the soundfiles to the "MyPoi directory on the memory card. Next you need to edit the .ini file. You cannot edit the file within the Navman, you need to drag and drop a copy to your PC - the desktop is a good place. Edit the file by adding the line <soundfile=*****.wav> (without the <>) where the wav file matches the sound you want to play for that particular POI. Save the changes edited file on the desktop, then drag and drop it back into the "MyPoi" directory on the memory card.

That's it all done. I'm keen to know if it works for you. What model of Navman are you doing this on and what version of SmartST are you running?
navmanguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate I am using a icn520 and st2005

Did what you said but the bing sound still happened deleted the ini file still called the original and left the new one and then no warning happened what so ever Confused
navmanguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi got the new wav files to work but the original voice commands and bings are just a squelching sound Confused

I persume that thia is what yours does?
davebbrannigan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My you work fast! I'm not sure that I completely follow your last post. I meant to say that when you copy teh modified .ini file back to the memory card you need to overwrite the original, thus you should only have one ini for each POI. When you say, "deleted the ini file still called the original and left the new one" that confuses me.....

Back over to you!
navmanguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebbrannigan wrote:
My you work fast! I'm not sure that I completely follow your last post. I meant to say that when you copy teh modified .ini file back to the memory card you need to overwrite the original, thus you should only have one ini for each POI. When you say, "deleted the ini file still called the original and left the new one" that confuses me.....

Back over to you!

Yes mate ignore the post at 6.11 and look at the post at 6.30
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I posted this link the other day to someone else.
http://www.getoutguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/poidownloads/index.htm
Have a look at it. Follow the link at the bottom of the page, about sound files. If you read the read me file that comes with it. it tells you how to get around the issue of not having any voice commands after it has warned you of a camera.
Hope this helps you solve your problem.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
navmanguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yes I have had a look at that but there is no file on the 520 called default.wav.
Confused
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If you say that you do not have a default wav file. I assume that if you upload any Poi’s you do not get any audible indication when running Poi's. I have a 510 and if I follow what the link is saying I will find the default wav file. Yours may be called something else, but if you get a beep or any sound that is the wav file and I assume that if you substitute this as directed it should work.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
mbriody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a (brand) new 510 user I've been following this. I have loaded the camera POI but I don't have a default.wav anywhere on the device.

I have audio alterts enabled but having actually tried it yet.
mbriody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the bad spelling (actually typing).

I've just tried this and I got an audio alert (a sort of chime) at a speed camera.

I have searched both the SD and the main unit and there are no WAV or other obvious audio files on there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: