Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 510 Route summary
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 510 Route summary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nilly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Navman 510 Route summary Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone help please.

I have driven ten thousand miles with work in the last eight months and have been using a 510 without any trouble at all, excellent piece of kit.
I like to plan the following days travel and use my 510 to get a route summary for my next day. Some of these journeys start and finish at different locations from where I will actually start the day, for example I could be in southampton but want to view a route from Bristol to Exeter, the route summary will only show the From and To addresses but not the Estimated Time or Distance. Surely this information must be available as the route has been calculated and can be followed on the map. The Estimated time and Distance work ok when you are following a route.
Once again, anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed whether or not you have a GPS fix when you look? It might be an issue.
Nilly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim

I can get all the info such as distance and time when I have a gps fix and Iam on route, that works as it should.
I can plan a route while sat indoors with no gps fix as you can set the start and stop locations and the route will be displayed by the map and the route summary can be displayed showing start and stop locations, this is where its frustrating as it doesnt then display Estimated time or Distance. Why would it need a fix as it has calculated the route between two set points.

Cheers

Neill Question
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nilly,

From having a quick look at my Navman, I note what you are alluding to. I suspect there are 2 issues here. Firstly, it appears that the system requires the GPS points to calculate the way-points (corners etc) to calculate the total distance of the route. You have to remember that all data used within the system is based on the GPS (logtitude/latitude) points and all subsequent information eg. speed, distance, DTG etc are calculated from these points.

In respect to the second point of Estimated Time for the route, you will have noted, as I have, that ETA varies greatly, and is totally dependant on the speeds being maintained along the route, at any given time. The system has no idea of the speed zones for any particular street/road. So theoretically if you could test the route without GPS signal then the ETA would be infinite as your speed at the kitchen table would be 0 kph.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
Nilly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denis

Thanks for your comments.
What you are saying is that you can only get information ie distance and time, about a particular route if you have a gps fix and are actually located somewhere on that route.

I have tried getting the distance etc for a route in a different part of the country from where I am located and even with a gps fix it still cant display route information other than start and stop locations and an instruction list of turnings etc.

Suppose Ill just have to live with it.

Regards

Neill
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other idea that may help is to use the AA or RAC route planners. They give the estimated time of a journey but you would obviously have to be using the same route as for the Navman for it to mean much.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nilly,

Not being totally conversant with all aspects of the iCN 510, but on my PiN 300 there is a route demonstration mode (just remembered that some time ago an aquaintance of mine, with 510, mentioning to me about system continuing down road as he was stopped at traffic lights and being in front of him as he continued down road.) Every possibility that a demo route mode was in vogue and hence available to you.

My PiN 300 has a demonstration mode, and that on entering that mode the total distanceand distance between waypoints is shown and the "drive" continues on at some set speed (suspect about 50- 60 kph).
Whilst this gives an ETA and Distances the former woudl most probably be a little inaccurate.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
Nilly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis

Thanks for trying again. The route demonstrator option on the 510 will only demonstrate if you are on the route and you have a gps fix.

Cheers

Neill

PS any other thoughts

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: