Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcode run GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcode run GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Postcode run GPS Reply with quote

Hi - im searching for a GPS with turn by turn voice direction BUT with full POSTCODE facility for the UK - ie NP7 5HF not NP7 5 and so on, as I often visit farms, etc. with my work (which all too often don't have streets or roads, but unique postcodes)

I currently use Directions Navigator which does this BUT on my LAPTOP - which is big, and tiresome to set up each journey

Any ideas... Pocket PC or standalone unit

I understand from NavMan that their iCN 630 will offer this sometime this year, but not yet

Help greatly appreciated

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Postcode run GPS Reply with quote

Unfortunately you won't find one! Doing a complete search of a postcode requires a lot of very intense and accurate data, and you won't get that in any product at the moment. You can get close with CoPilot Live where it will ask you for the postcode, that will effectively map you to the city, you then enter the street name and number and it will take you there. That's as close as you'll get for some time.

You've got to remember that most mapping programs come in at around 100mb for UK data, I suspect your PC program if it displays full map as well will be a lot larger than this.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Dave for at least putting me out of my misery!!!

Cannot believe that this basic necessity for so many users isn't available somewhere, somehow! Even if it had to be postcode located on a PC before Sync or something

Means a new mini-laptop for me and contining with the excellent value for money (£49 for whole of Europe, postcode to postcode, turn by turn voice directions) Directions Navigator

Thanks again for stopping my agonising search through websites, support services, forums and so on

Many people (including dealers) have said yes "this does it", or no this doesn't... until I didn't know what to believe!

Dave
Frequent Visitor

No problem, it's a shame, as complete postcode support is what we would all like to see in the latest Pocket PC product, storage cards are getting larger and Pocket PC processors are getting faster, so I don't see it being much of an issue shortly, I suspect that from a size point of view it will be large, and whether an install can be customised to either allow or disallow the postcodes support, as some may find it too large for their storage cards.
genes
Occasional Visitor

Hi

I resolved my post code look up problem by using Autoroute on my PC

1. On my desktop and laptop PC I use Autoroute to find the post code location

2.I then make note of the lon/lat of the location in Autoroute

3. Then using POI Editor I make my own POI.ov2 file for these hard to find places and update as required

4. Transfer this to my PDA and away we go

Works for me!

Terry
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

Thanks again for your advice -

Understand the Autoroute bit - but what's this about POI.ov2 ; what GPS software does this run on (ie. TomTom Navigator 2, etc.) - and does it take long to set up, as I only typically visit 1 - 3 non-street addresses a day, and ALWAYS look them up on Directions Navigator anyway (=autoroute features), it may be the solution I need today!

genes
Occasional Visitor

You need to download POI Editor (See downloads section on this site)

The program is realy easy and quick to use and makes a {Your file name}.OV2 file - You just enter a name like 'Farmer Giles' and the long/lat that you obtained from Autoroute and then 'Save as'{Your file name}.OV2

This is an overlay file that you use with TomTom Navigator to identify Points of Interest (POI)on your maps.

You can also use a graphic (Like a tractor if you are identifying a farm) that will be shown on your overlay

I use it to edit Radar camera POI's to keep them up to date

Hope this helps

Regards Terry

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

Thanks everyone... finally my search can end and I can upgrade from my Garmin V Deluxe and my Laptop with Navigations Destinator to neat little unit!

Cheers - have a good weekend!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: