Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce Launch of TomTom ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce Launch of TomTom ONE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenjah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
www.tomtom.co.uk is a cigar making company Laughing

d'oh!
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing i have done it myself, only having a laugh
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
I am sure that the TomTom One is USB 1.1 and 2.0 compatable.

Unfortunately that is not really true. All TomTom models, except GO700 have USB1.1. Of course you can connect it to a USB2.0 port but it won't speed up the file transfer.
tenjah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:P So what SD card do you guys use? I'll only be needing UK maps to start with. But certainly want speedcam notifications/accident blackspots/custom voices...can't imagine they'd take up too much room though...
tenjah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
StevenGourlay wrote:

Unfortunately that is not really true. All TomTom models, except GO700 have USB1.1. Of course you can connect it to a USB2.0 port but it won't speed up the file transfer.

My trusty athlon 800 with usb 1.1 rides again!

I thought everything was 2.0 nowadays.
devros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Mounting kit Reply with quote

Presumably the ONE can be fitted to the optional alternative mounting kit...the window mount is just so bloody huge.

Si.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that the standard mount is enormous! I have yet to find a permanent site to fit it in my Saab 9-5.

Actually I am still not convinced that I will keep the One. This is my first experience of Tom Tom and although it's good a few features I like are missing.

I find the map colours a bit annoying and I have to vary the brightness throughout the day. At night, even on the lowest brightness and night colours selected it still seems too bright.

The Garmin i3 automatically changes from day to night as the sun goes down - very clever.

Also the i3 gives a low pitch boing as you approach a speed camera and then a series of higher pitch boings if you are going above the spped limit. The Tom Tom just boings and flashes the speed info but does not monitor your speed.

Also the i3 powers up automatically with the car lighter socket and powers off 30 seconds after switching off the car (unless you intervene and then it runs off it's own battery). This is a good system, but the Tom Tom One requires you to manually switch on and off - however it does have internal rechargeable batteries.

I'm still getting used to the One. I have tried the traffic update feature which marks a hazard on your route map. However it seems a bit fiddly to get the actual info about the hazard. Plus you have to pay a subsciption and the cost of the GPRS data transfer so it could be expensive.
devros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the i3 - it didn't give me great results. Quickest and shortest were almost always the same route...
anissut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up my Tom Tom One yesterday and I think it's a great bit of kit. Pick up of GPS signal is so fast and I have the climate comfort screen in my BMW.

I guess I would look at another way of mounting but at the moment I'm just getting used to it.

The speed camera database, POIs and spoken voices for cameras are a great idea so well done Pocket GPS.

Only thing I wanted to ask is about Truvelo cameras? They don't seem to be in the database? Is that correct?

And finally my only quibble would be the fact that the speed camera alerts are not speed dependant but thats a small price to pay for a unit that costs £279 and much cheaper than the RA Navigator or Snooper Indago both of which do not have Sirf III.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
StevenGourlay wrote:

Are you sure that's right?
I'm fairly sure the 300,500, and 700 are all USB2 (although there was a problem with connection sppeds on Macs).
Can't find conclusive proof anywhere at the moment, but the "what's in the box" section on the TomTom site does say "USB 2.0 data cable for connecting TomTom GO to a Windows PC."
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anissut wrote:
Only thing I wanted to ask is about Truvelo cameras? They don't seem to be in the database? Is that correct?

Gatsos, Truvelos and the new little ones, (who's name escapes me) are all in the "Gatso" category.

Quote:
And finally my only quibble would be the fact that the speed camera alerts are not speed dependant

In what way do you mean?
If you just want to know what speed you shouldn't be exceeding, then in the download package are separate POI catregories for 20,30,40,50,60,70 mph etc.

If, however, you want the TomTom to *ONLY* alert you if you are going over the limit, then - no - it doesn't do that, unfortunately. (although you'd never know, would you? Wink ).
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin i3 gives speed dependent warning.

Presumably the One do this as it knows how fast you are travelling but maybe it's not that straight forward.
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm completely new to Sat Nav Systems and, after reading many reviews on various web sites over the last few weeks, I had pretty well decided that the Tom Tom 300 was the one for me.
Now, I've been completely thrown again with yet another offering from the Tom Tom stables, and their new TT One with a more powerful chip.
Again, it does seem to offer all the information I need.
However, can anyone tell me if it will accept all the POI downloads that this site offers to TT 300 owners, such as safety cameras, voices, hotels, filling stations etc etc, or is this a different platform or OS?
In other words, are the POI data,chk files for the 300 compatible with the TT One, or would I have to take out a subscription to keep updated with this information?
M Confused
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works just the same as the 300 for POIs etc. No problem installing speed camera database from pocketgps world
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first time, so bear with me. Just read about the Tom Tom One and it seems to be just the ticket to replace a very old black and white Garmin unit I have. As a Mac user having a PC around just to load maps is boring. It seems as if this version of Tom Tom can be used with the Mac platform, is this correct? I used a Tom Tom a couple of years ago, but going from country to country was very hard as it had no base map, is this now better on Tom Tom. How does it get from region to region? I had to choose the in and out point when I used this version of Tom Tom, my old Garmin is much better in this respect. Thanks Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: