Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - co pilot 6 upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

co pilot 6 upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more than happy to pay a fee annually to get the latest maps

BUT

the latest maps are no use at all if the software they get used by is bug-ridden and unsupported by the manufacturer.

I'm not paying for a new "updated" version until ALK fix the version I paid so much of my heard-earned cash for
slatey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use mine all the time with the navman 2 sleeve and a compaq ipaq 3970 with no problem at all hope copilot 6 will work with that setup i have asked over at alk and hope to get an answer soon.looking forward to being able to use a full poscode.
slatey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got my reply.....We are under the impression that this will work but we will no longer support Copilot on Navman jackets
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slatey wrote:
well .... no longer support Copilot on Navman jackets

Well, maybe....

I have the same, iPaq 3975 (identical to 3970) and Navman sleeve that came with CP 3.0.

I got an email reply from ALK USA today saying that the Navman sleeve "ought" to be compatible with PC2003. I assume that means NOT compatible with Windows Mobile 5, I have asked for confirmation.

In other words, PC2003 seems to be the common denominator for us to keep using our current hardware. I can get it for my iPaq for about US$30, and as far as I can tell this iPaq has no upgrade path to Windows Mobile 5. Old or not, this is a lot of hardware to throw away just to get CP6.

It's hard to get clear info from ALK especially since they tell me that the USA version of CP6 won't even be announced for another 2 to 3 weeks.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using CP5 for close to a year now. My journeys are pretty well the same each week - I leave home on a Sunday evening and I return home on a Friday afternoon. I occasionally wander off that track but if I know roughly where I should be going I will sometimes question the routing but otherwise - great.

So, what I'm saying is that overall I'm happy with the product. Yes I have gripes - I would like it to understand that when the motorway is blocked and I come off it should re-route me rather than try to take me back but then am I asking too much of current technology - even an airline pilot has to re-program the autopilot - it doesn't think for itself.

I've thought of going to another product and even tried the free download from Navman but it seems to me that there is no one product that doesn't have problems - so for me it's the devil you know.

Having worked in the computer industry for over 30 years I can appreciate both sides of the argument - the user wants to have a bug free product and the supplier wants to make money but there must be a middle road.

There is no software product that is 100% bug free, the more you pay the closer to perfection you can reasonably expect the product to be and the greater level of free support you can expect the supplier to provide. What we have here is a commodity product sold for around the £100 mark and whilst it is fair to expect a good standard of functionality and support you can't expect a Rolls for the cost of a mini.

I may regret it but I'm prepared to give them a chance and I think £50 is a reasonable cost for an upgrade and hey who knows it may last me for the next 5 years until I retire. The alternative is to pay out something like £130 for TT5 which doesn't come with any guarantee of being any better and I may have to pay for an upgrade next year. From what I've seen there are a number of new features in CP6. some are enhancements that I've seen asked for on this ng which need to be paid for and bug fixes which should be free but if we want a CP7 or CP8 or whatever is in the future we need to support the company. If we refuse to help by not upgrading or moving to competitive products we'll very soon end up with an unsupported bit of junk - some may say that is what we have now - you may be right.

My 2p!

Phil
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How refreshing to see to such a constructive post. I too will probably upgrade for similsr reasons.
I also feel that £50 is probably about right for the latest maps (but would obviously be happier if it were less) and will consequently probably be happy, so long as the application software is improved (if not completely fixed).
dkt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently changed to Tomtom 5 from Co Pilot and after 2 months of use on my Mitac Mio 168 I now wished I hadn't bothered. I prefer the map layout and the functions available in Tomtom but the Tomtom is very poor when it comes to getting a GPS lock.

When I first used it to a trip to Newcastle it lost the GPS signal for approx 60% of the journey. After checking several forums for ideas on how to improve the GPS signal this is still no better. :x

Using Co Pilot I never had a problem in getting a GPS signal. Asking for support from Tomtom is next to useless, they have simply ignored any e-mail I have sent them asking for help.

I'll await a review on Co Pilot 6 before purchasing. Anyone want Tomtom 5 Navigation Software?
typhoon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:Laughing Out Loud I totally agree with PhilB.. my name's down for CoPilot 6... I use CoPilot 5 every day.. i don't know what's all the fuss about, it's a thousand times better than an A to Z :P
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
I hope that they're just finishing the packaging, and not still debugging it. Sad

They never debugged V5 so what makes you think they will on this version.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last some positive posts. Nice to hear someone give en honest balanced view on something.

Very grown up!
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share dkt's experience of TomTom 5 and am therefore hoping that ALK have succeeded in eliminating Copilot's problems for version 6. If so, I shall quickly consign TomTom to the "obsolete" drawer.

Having said this I have to take issue with DerekFKS85, who writes:

Quote:
At last some positive posts. Nice to hear someone give en honest balanced view on something.

Excuse me, but "honest and balanced" does not mean not mentioning what is wrong. In fact, it means quite the opposite, especially when the number and magnitude of the faults is so great. Those who can manage with CP 5 as it is are, as ever, welcome to do so, as are those who don't object to the manufacturer bringing out another version while leaving existing customers with a seriously flawed version.

As for Derek's remark...

Quote:
"Very grown up"

...is he is practising what he preaches?

Another question for those who apparently don't want anything said about CP 5's problems is "just what have YOU done to help bring about improvements to the product?"

Let us all hope that CP 6 brings to the end the need to highlight mutliple and serious faults in the product, the failure of ALK to act upon them, deplorable customer service, factual errors advanced in defence of the product, etc., etc. If it does bring them to an end, then no doubt all of the critics will be delighted to applaud. If it does not, however, then I, for one, shall not hesitate to say so.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Another question for those who apparently don't want anything said about CP 5's problems is "just what have YOU done to help bring about improvements to the product?"

Since you have tried continually to put people off buying the product, with the intention (presumably) of destroying ALK's income and their ability to invest in improving the product, I find your comment laughable. Rolling Eyes

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh away, iankb.

I asked, what have done to try to get Copilot improved (and therefore fit for sale - and as a source of income for its manufacturers)? What is the answer?
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just pre-ordered CP6 upgrade and for £50 you cant go wrong
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go wrong if it's as flawed as CP5 was :x

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: