Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Welcome
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

If you are either new to GPS or the Pocket PC and have a question regarding which Pocket PC or GPS unit to purchase and require help getting started in GPS, please post a message in this forum and we will try to help you come to your decision and resolve any fears you may have.
neil1155
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I have recently bought a ipaq and navman 3400 system,

I will soon be useing the system for work, as I am a HGV driver I will need to use the system on a 24v power supply is there a adaptor I can buy to convert it from the 12v cigaret lighter socket to a 24v socket?

Also one more question if you dont mind:

When I have got to my location and want to turn off my system I go to settings and then to running programs to stop the smart sp program I often get the message system not responding so I have to go back to smart sp or press end task which could loose files (so it says), am I missing something out? and do I have to close the smart sp program or can I just turn the system off so when I switch on again it goes straight to the last screen.

Thanks for help.

Neil.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Hi Neil,

I see your query re. a 12v/24v adapter has been answered in another forum message so I'll concentrate on your other query!

You can happily just power off the iPAQ, no need to close the application as PPC's are designed to run like this. So when you get there, switch the iPAQ off and when you switch it back on the app will still run fine and you can be ready to navigate that bit faster
neil1155
Occasional Visitor

Hello Darren,

Thanks for your help with that, that will be better for me.

Neil.
neil1155
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I have been told by navman that the charger issued with the system will be ok to use in a 12v and 24v vehicles without the need for a dropper, can someone please confirm this for me as i dont want any problems with my system.

Thanks.

Neil.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

I can confirm that it does. I've used it in a HGV that runs 24v and it worked perfectly.
Hung
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 20 November 2002

If you are either new to GPS or the Pocket PC and have a question regarding which Pocket PC or GPS unit to purchase and require help getting started in GPS, please post a message in this forum and we will try to help you come to your decision and resolve any fears you may have.

Gia-Hung Phan, D.C
Hung
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dave,

I went hiking 2 weeks ago, Yosemite Park. I hiked to a lake and stayed there for one day, when I started to move out, I was lost in the area for 1 hour before I found the trail head. I had a map handy but could not locate where I was. Thus, I'm thinking of a GPS, I once watched it on T.V. Would you recommend any simple, easy reading for beginner? Maybe economic, I always go hiking solo, and getting lost is something I concern about, thank you.....Hung

Gia-Hung Phan, D.C
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Hi Hung,

I have just answered some of your questions in another thread.

I can see now that you want the GPS for hiking. There are still many options open to you.

1) Assuming you just want to get from your current position to a known location. If you have a paper map and are competant with that then you can use a normal handheld GPS. An ideal starter receiver is the Garmin Geko. I would get the 201 rather than the 101 as there are more features on it that you can use later. You can then enter a "Mark" in Lat/Lon or most any other co-ordinate system and "GoTo" that mark. The GPS will show you the direction and distance to travel.

2) Taking point 1 a stage further you can buy some software such as OziExplorer, Fugawi, or MapTech Terrain Navigator and plan routes using digital USGS maps and the points can be transferred to the GPS.

3) Going the last step you can use a PDA coupled with the above software packages and coupling up your GPS you can then get moving maps of exactly where you are with highlighted navigable routes
Hung
Occasional Visitor

Hi Mike, Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I take map with me whenever it is provided at the park or from the ranger, yet, the trail is a lot different from a city map. That means, I get lost all the time because I never had any instruction in reading map, FYI, I've been hiking 10+ years and I always get lost when I hike or backpacking at a new region.

The major one was a few years ago when I was lost for 2 days, until I met a family who camped near a lake, and they drove me out to the freeway. If I did not see them, it could be brutal.

My objective is to get an aiding device that I use on the trail, simple but accurate, and it can cope with weather condition, whether at a high elevation, or down a valley. The point here is to get all the signal that I can, and easy instruction to follow, or to read, so that I will not get lost that often.Thanks....Hung

Gia-Hung Phan, D.C
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Hung check out the other thread we are chatting in. I reckon you could do with a hand hald GPS and possibly some software on a PC to program it.

Not going to guarantee you wont get lost, but at least you can use the recorded track to reverse your steps. And you can mark significant points on your trail such as the trailhead. Then you should always be able to get back there.
Hung
Occasional Visitor

Mike, thank you. I'd look into it.

Gia-Hung Phan, D.C

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: