Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - When is a bug not a bug ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

When is a bug not a bug ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: When is a bug not a bug ? Reply with quote

Here's a reply to a question I asked of the TT customer support team.

Question first.....

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26810
Dear TomTom, could you posibly state when there is likely to be a fix to any of the numerous bugs listed on the above link.
Are you aware of the negative feedback your product is receiving.
Regards, Stuart

And there answer ............

Dear Mr. T*****,

We always monitor reactions to our products and listen carefuly to feedback that comes from our customers. Thank you for sending us this link.

We are always working to improve our products, and regularly release free application updates that improve the functionality of our software. We can not currently speculate as to the precise content of future updates, as I am sure you understand that this is a complex process of development and testing.

It is worth mentioning, however, that a number of the points on this 'bug list' are not bugs, but disagreement about the particular types of functionality that we have chosen to implement in Navigator 5. Nevertheless, we take this kind of feedback seriously and always take it into account as we continue to develop our products.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Funny, they look like bugs to me Confused
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: When is a bug not a bug ? Reply with quote

Tommy3090 wrote:
Here's a reply to a question I asked of the TT customer support team.

Question first.....

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26810
Dear TomTom, could you posibly state when there is likely to be a fix to any of the numerous bugs listed on the above link.
Are you aware of the negative feedback your product is receiving.
Regards, Stuart

If pocketgps have given TT5 such a perfect rating why should TT admit to any bugs not found by these independant reviewers?
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a bug not a bug ? Reply with quote

Tommy3090 wrote:
Funny, they look like bugs to me Confused

Agreed. I think reading that bug list has convinced me not to "upgrade" (reads down-grade) until such time that V6 or maybe V7 comes out. I'm just going to have to live with old maps with stable software. It's taking me 2 years to finely hone my 5450 with all the software it needs working smoothly . . . just can't afford to balls that up now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are assuming that there will be future PPC versions - TT seem much more interested i ntheir dedicated devices, and probbaly see phones as the next place to go - don't be surprised if future PPC versions are simple cut down affairs to make it easier to bug fix and support.
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
You are assuming that there will be future PPC versions - TT seem much more interested i ntheir dedicated devices, and probbaly see phones as the next place to go - don't be surprised if future PPC versions are simple cut down affairs to make it easier to bug fix and support.

I see where you're going with this but we are now seeing phones that closely resemble PDA's in terms of functionality. Not to mention all the PDA phones around like the XDA etc. I don't think the PDA/GPS platform is dead, but rather it is still a baby. What I would give to have a reliable all in one . . . PDA/Phone/NAV. </drool>

If you are right and TT are leaving the PDA behind, good luck to them and I'll need to find something better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mol2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps TomTom will leave the PDA platform behind but given their limted penetration into the built in in-car satnav it's unlikely.

As for the phone platform - it's likely that PDAs & phones will be combined almost universally in due course & there will be manufacturers delivering the software be they TomTom or others.

At present we have numerous different manufacturers with different operating systems. I guess the number of OS used will fall - in the same way as MS windows dominates the PC OS market with limited penetration from Mac & Linux. It's just a matter of time before the phone companies converge on a common OS such as windows mobile.

Then software developers will be more keen to dip a toe in the PDA/phone market. (& there will be more satnav sofware at lower prices)
There's is little doubt that PDA software & hardware peripherals are still overpriced when you compare them to PC hardware & software. Let's face it a bluetooth receiver probably costs less than £25 to produce yet the market is still at the £100 mark. The older modules have dropped since the arrival of the latest generation to £50 or so and no doubt are being sold at a profit. They haven't become cheaper to make it's just that the profit margins are more realistic.

I guess it's the mobile factor & that the mobile phone market is geared to kids who are notoriously dumb & will pay through the nose for the latest mobile in the same way they do for trainers. (A "designer" trainer costs no more to make than an Asda cheapie but the market is there!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: