Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 vs Gizmondo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 vs Gizmondo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunhire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: i3 vs Gizmondo Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the Gizmondo running co-pilot software?
Avalable for £199
How does this compare with the mighty i3?

Gizmondo blurb from Maplin website
• Award winning satellite navigation & so much more!
• Top of the line sat nav features like full postcode search, 2D & 3D mapping, detour routing, multiple stop route planning, walking mode & 1,000's of points of interest too
• If that wasn't enough you can play games on it, listen to music, watch movies, send & receive SMS messages take pictures with it's integral camera & you can track it's location
• Built-in GPS with a GPRS Modem & supplied with a pay as you go Vodaphone SIM

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48335&TabID=1&source=1&doy=19m10
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure but seeing the words CO-PILOT software make me very worried after things I read on these forums about this software. I am also not sure about something that is not totally dedicated to navigation and not very well known to the world of GPS. May be I am wrong but I would trust the name of Garmin and Navteq much more when deciding to part with my money.
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see on my signature I have both the i3 and Gizmondo, only had the giz for about a week still waiting for the optional car cradle kit (out of stock at moment) I went for a drive out at the weekend using both units simultaneously (Giz resting precariously on dash) but close to i3 for similar satellite reception, both set for same destination both set for quickest route.
Both units performed excellently both gave same directions but the Giz lady is more polite in fact my wife was getting a bit jealous ;)
The Giz screen is slightly larger than the i3 but having said that the giz has menu's showing on the left status at bottom and location at top so generally I would say the i3 shows slightly more real estate but in all honesty I must say I haven’t had time to go through everything maybe it's possible to show/hide the menu's etc.
I have heard that it is possible to add the safety cam database and custom POI's, I have imported the copilot safety cam database but I can't get it to show alerts, I have contacted ALK still waiting for a reply, also discussing subject on another forum, so at moment I can't confirm that it's possible or not, as soon as I get any info I will post on here.
A few positives I like with the Giz is (a) the ability to input a destination by picking from map by panning and zooming etc, (b) possible to see Lat & Lon, (c) shows elevation. (d) if I have a accident whilst watching both units Laughing Out Loud at least the Giz has a camera to take photographic evidence and maybe send photo text to wife so she knows I aint run away with my 2 new women ;)

Only tried the demo game that comes with giz so can't really comment on games potential.

I downloaded a film just to see quality and am quite impressesd that can get a film on a SD card.

Music player is ok MP3 etc.

Generally both a great bits of kit and I would not part with either.

Need to dash off now but I hope that might be enough to give a general idea off what the Giz is all about.

Best regards
Minidish
CamerAlert on Galaxy S2
Wife 4 backup
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice mini review on the gizmondo minidish....you must have a very understanding wife to be able to have both an i3 and a gizmondo...like your signiture as well..(wife for backup)
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not personally impressed with Co-Pilot; though I've not seen it running in a Car yet.
I set it to demo a route from London to Bradford, and it spent the rest of the day happily going round in circles in central London!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: i3 vs Gizmondo Reply with quote

Sunhire wrote:
co-pilot software? How does this compare with the mighty i3?

Gun Shoot Out Don't get me started on CoPilot. (Takes deep breath). OK, I'm calm again. Have a long hard read of the CoPilot forum if you are interested in seeing what sort of product CoPilot is and how ALK treat their customers.

If you are interested in a concise list of problems then read this post for a list.

Minidish, I would be very interested to see if ALK have fixed the long standing bugs in CoPilot for the Gizmondo version. They haven't released updates for the PPC or SmartPhone versions for ages. Can you please take a look at the list of bugs (especially the routing problems) and see if you can reproduce them. Some of them are intermittant so you might not see them till you have been using it for a week or so.
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: i3 vs Gizmondo Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Gun Shoot Out Don't get me started on CoPilot. (Takes deep breath). OK, I'm calm again. Have a long hard read of the CoPilot forum if you are interested in seeing what sort of product CoPilot is and how ALK treat their customers.

If you are interested in a concise list of problems then read this post for a list.

Minidish, I would be very interested to see if ALK have fixed the long standing bugs in CoPilot for the Gizmondo version. They haven't released updates for the PPC or SmartPhone versions for ages. Can you please take a look at the list of bugs (especially the routing problems) and see if you can reproduce them. Some of them are intermittant so you might not see them till you have been using it for a week or so.

Skippy. I printed off the concise list of problems for reference, once I get my car cradle I will give the Giz a jolly good seeing to and report back on my findings. CoPilot CoPilot

Regards
Minidish
CamerAlert on Galaxy S2
Wife 4 backup
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: No Speedcams or sustom POI's Reply with quote

Ok just a quick update:

Not received car cradle yet, still out of stock so not been able to fully test the Gizmondo Navigator 2006, but I have a reply from ALK regarding Custom POI's and speedcam database see below:

My Question:
Quote:
Dear Sunil
Thank you for getting back to me, just to clarify. is it possible to add the safety cam database to the Gizmondo?

Best regards

Paul

ALK Answer
Quote:
Dear Paul,

Unfortunately it's not possible to add any extra POI's to the Gizmondo which includes Safety Camera Databases.

Regards,

ALK European Technical Support
Email: ukcustservice@alk.eu.com
Tel: 020 7404 4222

I am hearing on the grapevine that it can be done but not yet found out how Crying or Very sad

Regards
Minidish
CamerAlert on Galaxy S2
Wife 4 backup
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: No Speedcams or sustom POI's Reply with quote

quote=ALK]Unfortunately it's not possible to add any extra POI's to the Gizmondo which includes Safety Camera Databases.[/quote]

Unfortunate indeed. You could do this in CP5 but the alerts didn't work properly. The way I read it, they have removed the ability to upload the speed camera database in CP6. Bizzare. :x
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Giz...Ha...Ha Reply with quote

I've heard the Giz is a total bag of poo!( Pistol Shoot Out GIZ Clap ) !,several times. Well according to a number of friends, forums, reviews etc.....

I sometimes suspect that reps patrol these waters!!!! Deh..DE. DEH ...DE..............................
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry did I say 'I heard' I meant 'I know'.

Stupid
gregb49
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Giz...Ha...Ha Reply with quote

Logan1475 wrote:
I've heard the Giz is a total bag of poo!( Pistol Shoot Out GIZ Clap )
We've, OK, I, have just started putting this on a long term test. It has only been used locally so far, but first impressions are that it is excellent. I've looked at skippy's error list, and will see if I can reproduce them, but for a system that can be easily atttached to the screen and then dropped into a small pocket when you leave the car, which also sends and receives SMS, MMS (email to come) and has a camera, its amazing. Sorry, but I'm not a gamer but can see that the screen has gained from its development as a movie and game player. Locally it picks up one or two of the same mapping errors that other systems do.

I'm having to use a Navman mod RB2 mount (Navman + 2 rubber bands!) at the moment until the screen mount becomes available which is in the usual 'any day' time scale.

First impression report is at http://uksatnavltd.com/product_reviews_info.php/products_id/72/reviews_id/14Greg

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: