Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 168 tomtom5 won't keep gps settings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 168 tomtom5 won't keep gps settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Mio 168 tomtom5 won't keep gps settings Reply with quote

forgive me if this has been done before but searching just gets me all the people who are having trouble setting up the GPS

I have no trouble setting it up and getting it working but it won't hold the settings. I have to put them in again every time I start TOMTOM 5 (it shows no valid GPS device at startup every time)

If I go to the GPS settings from the start menu I find it has reverted to USB cable instated of serial cable

This is an install of TOMTOM 5 over the top of TOMTOM 3. It works fine in all other respects.

Anyone else having this problem?
Anyone have a fix?

TIA
malum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah

It doesn't display the device until it has picked it up again after starting Navigator.
This was instantaneous in version 3 but takes 20 odd seconds in version 5.1 (big step forward there then)

So far it also loses satellite fix far more easily than version 3. I have changed the GPS set-up to TomTom cable (others have reported that this works better on the Mio) and I hope that helps
dkt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malum

I have the same problem with my Mitac Mio 168 and the loss of signal. I have the latest version of Tomtom and have the GPS set on the Tomtom wired GPS receiver. On a trip to Newcastle last night it lost the signal for approx 60% of the journey!

Is the any other setting that would improve the signal?. I used Co-Pilot before and never had a problem like this before.

:x
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've had the same problem with the Mio168, although I don't think that it is unique to this device.

Previously used CoPilot and would only lose the signal in tunnels. Yet TT5's reception is very flakey. With a clear view of the sky and no obstructions, the signal bars will often reduce to zero, and then position me in a field or another road when it regains reception.

TomTom seriously need to address this BASIC function of their system as it really does them no favours by ignoring it. (Do they even care ?)

I wonder whether GO users have similar reception/positioning problems, or is it something that only PPC users suffer.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
The_Stig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use to get this issue but then I found that my mobile phone was interfering with the satellite signal !! Phone was far too close to the receiver ..

Turned the phone off and all was fine ..

Also as previously stated it takes at least 30 secs ( in my case for the GPS signal to lock on ) initially.

Just an idea .

Regards

Steve
dkt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Stig

Tried your suggestion regarding the mobile phone and hey presto what a difference. Turned my mobile phone off and the GPS signal is a lot stronger.

Do you use the additional antenna that is supplied?. This seems to also increase the signal but you then have wires trailing everywhere.
:D
JonnyW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Problems saving TomTom changes Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no trouble setting it up and getting it working but it won't hold the settings. I have to put them in again every time I start TOMTOM 5 (it shows no valid GPS device at startup every time)

Have you checked the file(s) permissions on the SD Card?

If the file has Read Only permissions, TomTom can read from it and will allow you setup your preferences but it cannot save the changes you make.

I found this out the hard way. I copied the files from the SD card to my desktop and viewed the properties, removed the Read Only permissions and copied them back to the SD card, overwriting the files on the card.

This solved my problem.

Don't know if this will be any help but I though I would offer my experience in my free (and now monitored) Internet time at work Rolling Eyes
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any help I don't think its a PPC problem. Does the Mio have its own sat nav receiver? If so is it positioned as far forward in the windscreen as the small dedicated BT receivers are? If not that could be part of the problem. TT5 works well on my Ipaq 6340 (combined PDA & phone) with seperate BT receiver with plenty of satelites normally showing. I very rarely loose signal altogether unless I have been a long time under trees. However it does take up to a minute to get its first fix.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: